Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons

There are lots of demonstrations and ideas but not so many exercises in Secret Weapons. I liked it but if you're looking for exercises, Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands" DVD might be more to your liking. Not a lot of discussion of technique but good demonstrations and a sequence of rudimental patterns as a warm-up ritual thing.
is there enough material in there to study? i've never practiced from a video before. seems like a good subject matter. would love to work on my grip and mechanics
What you describe here sounds like you'd enjoy Bill Bachman's book "Stick Technique" - there is a lot of stuff online too: https://www.drumworkout.com/

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Yeah, this and Igoe's Great Hands DVD came out around the same time. I was going to buy one, ended up with Great Hands because I was wanting access to the Lifetime Warmup.

In fact, I've never really worked through the Great Hands DVD....I watched it once 10 years ago, didn't play along. I just got it for the warmup, which is my bread and butter.

iCe

I have the Secret Weapons DVD (about the hands, the feet DVD is still on my want list) and there is a TON of info and tips on there. I watched it maybe 2 times or so, but really helpful tips on there that helped me improve my stick technique. It has 2 DVD's i believe which are roughly 2 to 3 hours each, so be sure to save some time to watch them ;)

adamosmianski

is there enough material in there to study? i've never practiced from a video before. seems like a good subject matter. would love to work on my grip and mechanics
There is a TON of material in there to study. If you're wanting to work on your grip and mechanics then it is definitely for you. I only watched the whole thing through once or twice. It's better as a reference for individual lessons. Go to the section on grip and do it along with him multiple times. Have the pause button ready and keep rewinding. It did wonders for me.

MrPockets

Gold Member
The Secrets weapons DVD's were designed as an encyclopedia for techniques. If you had some musical goal were a technique would help you would go to that section. It isn't an exercise lesson, but would have things to play for your hands to learn the technique.

Greatest Hands for a Lifetime is a hand health program. The program is designed to keep your hands in shape and promote the ability to play faster, more crisp, and more even.