Jojo and the Dreadlocks

I've seen it before (not sure if shared via facebook or on DW). - It's pretty cool and creative!
I need to get way better with brushes overall before justifying getting the Dreadlocks but they are attractive.

I'm really liking the concept of these. I have no use for them in their "electronic" mimic application, but I do see a use for me in a rock context. They're more percussive/chunky than brushes, & that offers live benefits. Hmmm, might just pick up a pair too, just for giggles, & see where it goes :)

Those are pretty cool, they look like they have more volume than your standard brushes, I bet they are kind of rough on the gear though, heads and cymbals that is. I wish Takuya played the trumpet more, even if it is run through a synth.

I've had them for a few years. I use them where brushes are called for but the band's volume doesn't allow. Playing them at an angled approach makes for a pretty cool sound. You can do a lot with them if you use your imagination and the music allows.

Those are pretty cool, they look like they have more volume than your standard brushes, I bet they are kind of rough on the gear though, heads and cymbals that is. I wish Takuya played the trumpet more, even if it is run through a synth.

Dreadlocks won't really do any damage. They are used a ton in marching percussion applications, You won't have any edges that are rough or anything on them. They are just thicker metal in brush form. Another option for a similar sound could be to look into these made by Innovative Percussion.

http://www.innovativepercussion.com/products/fanned_caps_bundle_stick

I'm an Innovative Percussion Education artist and strictly use their products for the high school drumlines I teach. These are similar to dreadlocks but a bit more subtle since they are large nylon rods with brass caps on the end to give it that dreadlocks type sound.

I could watch videos like this for ages. So inventive. Thanks for the link, buddy!

Back