Join A Sub Par Band Just To Get Back Out There?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Subpar or really bad with no clue and really just want to fool around a bit? The former fine the later the kiss of death so heck no.

TMe

Personally i never get why people would need a lot of advice or opinions from other people...
Mostly just as a reality check, to see if there's something obvious that hasn't occurred to the person asking the question. When I ask for advice, sometimes I'm just asking for other people's perspectives, other times I'm asking for guidance.

It's a common question. Is it better to practice alone, or play with sub-par players?

brentcn

Platinum Member
It's a common question. Is it better to practice alone, or play with sub-par players?
At first, and for a long time, it's better to play with other players, assuming they can make it through the songs. You can improve yourself, by working on new grooves, fills, playing to a metronome, singing backup vocals, etc., all while being among mediocre players. Eventually, however, you'll need more capable players in order to take on more challenging music and grow your abilities.

Are you interested in growing your abilities, or are you happy with your current skills? Does working with this band raise your visibility on your local scene? Could pursuing this gig lead to other gigs?

Another idea is to put a time limit to your involvement. For example, you could agree to any gigs until they find another drummer, or until the end of 2020, whichever comes first. Having an end date in sight could help.

You can test the waters, and maybe also help to improve the band by setting up a video camera at rehearsals, and watching together. At that point, you might suggest studying with a vocal coach and guitar teacher. How the band responds to these ideas might inform your decision.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Personally i never get why people would need a lot of advice or opinions from other people, in this case mostly 'strangers', regarding starting or quiting a band.
Maybe someone would be able to share their experience and offer something from a different perspective.

My view, for me, is, I wouldn't do it. I got spoiled by playing with good vocals/harmony and I wouldn't enjoy playing without them.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Maybe someone would be able to share their experience and offer something from a different perspective..

In my opinion there are not a lot of perspectives to offer with cases like this..

Plus, there is in my opinion also a sort of unfairness to begin with, also towards the band..

To me this is a little the same like..:

"Hej, i met a girl, she is kinda ugly but she wants to date and maybe i should just date her untill i find someone better, because i am allready a year without a girl.."

To me, such things are just not ok..

Like i said before, or you see potential in a band and you give them a serious and honest try, or not..

But not crap with having a hidden agenda or something like that..

gish

In my opinion there are not a lot of perspectives to offer with cases like this..

Plus, there is in my opinion also a sort of unfairness to begin with, also towards theet
You’re humorous. Your first post was something like “I don’t get why people ask for opinions”, then you give your opinion repeatedly. On an Internet forum intended for OPINIONS and discourse. Perhaps find your nearest exit door?

Last edited:

gish

Are there no other options?
Sadly Larry, right now I’m not finding any. These guys are only looking to play once a month; they say they can pack any club with friends/family if they don’t book too often. That schedule works for me at this stage; I have a very busy family schedule so I’m not looking to play out a lot. 2-3 a month would be ideal for me. Nice guys, built in crowd, schedule works for me, but.... I’ll play with them again next Thursday, and see what happens. Can I do this just to get back out there?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Can I do this just to get back out there?
Absolutley, just don't promise them any permanence. Some of my most memorable and fun gigs were playing with people who weren't that "great", but really loved playing anyway. The hang is half the fun with a group like this, or at least it should be.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Perhaps find your nearest exit door?..

I gave my opinion about what i consider kinda (or actually very) unprofessional behaviour..

Otherwise, be brave and just tell the bandleader the next time you see them that you think they are a sh*t band, but you consider to join them untill you find something better and, hej, you think they are nice people..

If i would be bandleader, i think i just quoted the first thing i would say..

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Its a dynamic world. If they have the gigs in the area, there can be value had in helping clean up the mess of a band... Maybe there aren't many bands in the area because this band is turning people off, see where I am going with this...

gish

At first, and for a long time, it's better to play with other players, assuming they can make it through the songs. You can improve yourself, by working on new grooves, fills, playing to a metronome, singing backup vocals, etc., all while being among mediocre players. Eventually, however, you'll need more capable players in order to take on more challenging music and grow your abilities.

Are you interested in growing your abilities, or are you happy with your current skills? Does working with this band raise your visibility on your local scene? Could pursuing this gig lead to other gigs?

Another idea is to put a time limit to your involvement. For example, you could agree to any gigs until they find another drummer, or until the end of 2020, whichever comes first. Having an end date in sight could help.

You can test the waters, and maybe also help to improve the band by setting up a video camera at rehearsals, and watching together. At that point, you might suggest studying with a vocal coach and guitar teacher. How the band responds to these ideas might inform your decision.
A few of these ideas had crossed my mind. Good stuff here, appreciate it!

Vandalay

I have a similar dilemma, currently rehearsing with this group for a couple of months, and progress is slow, the guitar player is weak, but I like the concept (yacht rock) and I honestly think we'll book if we can get it together by spring. Another friend is trying to get me to work with him, he's a very good bassplayer, has a friend who he says is a very good guitarist,etc. unfortunately, I think we'd end up being another brand X (but tight) classic rock quartet, grinding out Skynryd, ZZtop & Aerosmith covers...

Woolwich

Silver Member
unfortunately, I think we'd end up being another brand X (but tight) classic rock quartet, grinding out Skynryd, ZZtop & Aerosmith covers...
My opinion is that this isn't a bad thing. A lot depends on your location in the world and what your local scene is like, but it seems that the appetite for Classic Rock is high the world over. I'd love to be doing something "different" and packing the punters in, the reality is that often those "different" songs go down less well, and when people are shaking my hand at the end of a gig and we're getting repeat bookings from landlords I think that maybe we might not be setting the world on fire with originality but people enjoy what we do. Being the tightest Classic Rock act in a scene where Classic Rock acts get the lion's share of bookings would be no bad thing.

Frank

Gold Member
I have had different thoughts on this throughout my life.

I always want to be playing with better players. And I want to play More.

I have had times in my life when I was playing often, playing occasionally, and not playing at all.

I eventually decided - playing in a sub par situation, while not ideal, is better than not playing at all.

I think of this just like I think of jobs. You move onto to something better after you have something better.

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
The way I see it, what have you got to lose?

Remember, this was a first jam, and often it takes regular practice in order for everything to come together. As you said, perhaps they were having an off day.

Given that you have been without a band for a long time, I think you'd do no harm to sign up to this act.

But one of the first things you should do, without tipping them off about the reason, is get a recording done of one of your jams. Audio is okay, video is better.

After that, really dissect the jam along with your bandmates. Where did you go wrong on each song, where were things not in sync, etc, etc

Being in a band doesn't always mean everything is amazing at the outset.

Given that the guys seem cool and you really don't have many options,, I think you should just give it a shot and try and improve the band, while at the same time improving yourself by playing out.

Timmy

Yeah, if they are that bad, and, already well seasoned (not teachable), I'd turn it down, now, don't wait. Like others have said, it will only make YOU look bad as well.

Juniper

Gold Member
Try another rehearsal but if there's no improvement and if your heart's not fully in it why bother going through it all.

Frosticles

Silver Member
If they are bad then don't try & play the songs like the originals! Try something different. At the end of the day, there are 1000's of bands playing covers exactly the same. Dare to be different & you never know, the band may develop their own style :)