Join a band

decadeA

I feel really stupid, but are there any websites or something that I can use to help find a band? Or even things I could do? Thanks.

If there are any open mic nights anywhere in your area, that can be a good way to meet musicians.
That's how a bunch of my musician friends all got together. One guy hosted acoustic jams at the local union hall every month and over the years some of those people have grouped up and played various folk festivals, blues jams and local pubs.

The last one I did was with my ukulele at a conservation area / campground and we were called ourselves The Pee Bee and Jays. Good times!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I haven't had a lot of success with Bandmix but I think it may vary per area. Music stores use to have a board for musicians to post stuff I remember-do they still do that or has technology replaced such as that? I'd love to try the open mic jam thing.

Chollyred

I haven't had a lot of success with Bandmix but I think it may vary per area. Music stores use to have a board for musicians to post stuff I remember-do they still do that or has technology replaced such as that? I'd love to try the open mic jam thing.
Yeah, me too. Problem is that there are a couple of acoustic open mic nights fairly near, but the ones that include drummers are over 40 miles away. Kinda hard to do on a week night when you get up at 5:00 AM. :(

cdar

Music stores usually have local postings...I've also seen postings in Starbucks and in another corner cafe that does live music... and in a church (posting board). Sometimes barflies know when bands are looking. I found my guitarist at a comedy show and bassist at a funeral wake....never know from where...

Channing

I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere, but where I live the Musicians section of Craigslist is pretty active. That's how I met my bandmates. I posted on there that I was looking for a band, and what were my influences/ the style of music I would like to play.

davor

Where are you based? In the UK, Gumtree can be a good source (I think its similar to Craigslist in US)
We also have a site called JoinMyBand

BonsaiMagpie

Go to see some local bands and you meet people. My bass player met me at a local show where I knew the band so was hanging around after, and he came over to chat. 2 months later he's in the band full time :)
In a band with an ex of a friend who I met at his shows,

And I've been to auditions from things from FB, never been a good fit, but there's always adverts on 3 groups I am in for drummers in North West England,

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Go to see some local bands and you meet people. My bass player met me at a local show where I knew the band so was hanging around after, and he came over to chat. 2 months later he's in the band full time :)
In a band with an ex of a friend who I met at his shows,

And I've been to auditions from things from FB, never been a good fit, but there's always adverts on 3 groups I am in for drummers in North West England,
to me, this is the best way...

NouveauCliche

I feel really stupid, but are there any websites or something that I can use to help find a band? Or even things I could do? Thanks.
Lot of great ideas in the thread that don't need repeating - but one other thing you should look into is your local college or university.

I know here - our local community college has "Rock" and "Jazz" combos that you can join to get some playing time in - great way to meet musicians too.

And I know here - there's really no age limits - there's college kids playing with community members, etc.

Something to think about if the usual pathways aren't producing results.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Local jams are a great place to meet other players, give them a chance to hear you play, and also nice to get out and play different songs with fresh players.

Online, Bandmix is a good musician/band-finder, but there are many. Join them all! try to avoid paying a fee though, you just need a basic membership and can usually make contact with other musicians without any hassles. You might also consider joining facebook groups of players in your area, for both drummers and other musicians. Very often, a drummer recommends another drummer, so it's good to make sure you get your name out there.

Music stores (what are those?) usually have a bulletin board where you can post a "drummer available" notice and look for "drummer wanted" notices.

Getting gigs isn't about who you know... it's about who knows you. Go out and get known!

Bermuda