Pete Best

- is this for real?
I don't know Art. I'd say it is. But then I thought the Bruce Lee video where he is beating ping pong masters using nunchucks was real too. Wrong!

I do definitely hear John Lennon's voice, on that I would bet my drums.

I see why they went for Ringo. Pete's tempo is audibly fluctuating on "'Til There Was You," and he just doesn't have Ringo's feel or propulsion.

Was George Martin involved in this recording? This recording is good but does not excite me. Everybody sounds tired.

I remember first records were singles Love Me Do, Please Pleade Me. PS I like be you , and then more bubblegum crap initially . They got better don’t get me wrong but I wasn’t impressed with it (Beach boys better as lots of others. I bought my sister Sgt Pepper album and she played it so much I wanted to burn the dang thing- and I liked the album LOL. One of grade school friends was a Beatles fiend Lester Folsom he’s still entertaining people and you can really see the influence in his music. Pretty cool another classmate is Ray McKinnon he’s in the Mayans tv show now. The rest of my classmates bank robbers, murderers, dope heads and rejects like me LOL.

Last edited:
I read a long article a few months ago that convinced me that Pete Best was dumped because he was the real star of the early Beatles, and that John, Paul, and George resented all the attention he got. The article included pop magazine articles of the time, and they clearly reflected that Best was indeed the one Beatle who was idolized by the girl fans.

We've always been told that Best was dumped because he was not a good drummer, but that's obviously not true. According to the article (I can't find it now, darn it), the blame for Best's firing has been laid at the feet of the record label, but the other three were quite anxious to see Best go.

And, truth be told, the band was made better by Ringo. His style of playing fit perfectly with the group, his persona gelled with the others, and the Beatles would never have been the same without him. In the end, Pete Best simply wasn't the best fit for them.

And, honestly, if it weren't for Ringo, I wouldn't have played drums for the last fifty-plus years. Ringo was THE MAN.

GeeDeeEmm

I wanted to play drums cause all the Big Band jazz cats, John Bohham, Keith Moon, and I preferred Charlie Watts laid back approach. There I said it-I don't know why Ringo gets more accolades than Watts. I just never took to the Beatles-yeah it maybe heresy but just my opinion and it has had no impact on them or anyone else I know-I'm glad for them. The only time I bothered to listen was when I was gigging and we did Beatles songs-I like some now I must say from the experience-which makes me open my horizons to other "crap" music I've mused in past LOL. I'll take you back in time to where I was at in the 60s music wise. Here's my brothers playing in 1966-my eldest brother is playing drums-after my Mom put the brakes on me being out late ( we fought over my kit, he's seven years older, so beat me up and took my drum kit to play my position). My next oldest bro playing lead guitar and wrote the song.

Last edited:
There’s an interview with Paul McCartney in the film Eight Days A Week in which he describes the moment that Ringo first sat down and played with the Beatles. The thicker end of 60 years later, the emotion in his voice as he tells of it and the difference to the band in that mo ent that he still remembers all these years later tells me why Ringo got the job and what he meant to the group.

There's a recording of Pete Best playing Love Me Do (anthology I think). Ability wise nothing special but that was drummers of the time in England with the odd exception like Brian Bennett.

People forget the main factor behind the Beatles in the early days. Brian Epstein who was the business guy, the guy who put them in suits and gave them the image that made millions until 1966. He even told them what cigarettes to be seen smoking. He was also the guy that got rid of Pete Best......accounts as to why vary.

I wanted to play drums cause all the Big Band jazz cats, John Bohham, Keith Moon, and I preferred Charlie Watts laid back approach. There I said it-I don't know why Ringo gets more accolades than Watts. I just never took to the Beatles-yeah it maybe heresy but just my opinion and it has had no impact on them or anyone else I know-I'm glad for them. The only time I bothered to listen was when I was gigging and we did Beatles songs-I like some now I must say from the experience-which makes me open my horizons to other "crap" music I've mused in past LOL. I'll take you back in time to where I was at in the 60s music wise. Here's my brothers playing in 1966-my eldest brother is playing drums-after my Mom put the brakes on me being out late ( we fought over my kit, he's seven years older, so beat me up and took my drum kit to play my position). My next oldest bro playing lead guitar and wrote the song.

It's genetics.... You are either Beatles dominant or Stones dominant. A few people are ambi-banderous and actually get into both equally.

I used to perform a "parlor trick" of sorts by looking people in the eye and declaring-"you are a Stones Fan" or "Beatles fan"...lol.

I actually communicate better with Beatles fans than Stones fans. Seriously. I would get this weird feeling trying to talk to someone that they just weren't "getting it". I would stop and ask "Beatles or Stones?" Sure enough, nearly 100% of the time, after a brief moment of confusion, they would say "Stones". AHA! Time to move on....lol.

Then there would be the guy or girl who would say "Kinks" or "Who". That would really shut it down fast....lol.

Anyway...that's why it's Ringo vs Charlie.

It's genetics.... You are either Beatles dominant or Stones dominant. A few people are ambi-banderous and actually get into both equally.

I used to perform a "parlor trick" of sorts by looking people in the eye and declaring-"you are a Stones Fan" or "Beatles fan"...lol.

I actually communicate better with Beatles fans than Stones fans. Seriously. I would get this weird feeling trying to talk to someone that they just weren't "getting it". I would stop and ask "Beatles or Stones?" Sure enough, nearly 100% of the time, after a brief moment of confusion, they would say "Stones". AHA! Time to move on....lol.

Then there would be the guy or girl who would say "Kinks" or "Who". That would really shut it down fast....lol.

Anyway...that's why it's Ringo vs Charlie.
Dang Mongrel you nailed it!!!!! Interesting I'm closer to my younger sis than older bros, but we bump heads a lot-probably because she's a Beatle and I'm Stoned (lol) we miscommunicate. I made a harmless comment agreeing with her on FB that started a huge argument that I was attacking her. I'm like WTH????? It all makes sense now.

John Paul George and Pete just doesn't have the same pizzazz as John Paul George and Ringo. BTW, for those wondering if the recordings were real....yeah they were. For those who prefer the rawness of the recordings keep in mind, had Brian Epstein not stepped in to manage them and George Martin not gotten involved, there would be no Beatles. They would have just been another band.

..Here's my brothers playing in 1966-my eldest brother is playing drums-after my Mom put the brakes on me being out late ( we fought over my kit, he's seven years older, so beat me up and took my drum kit to play my position). My next oldest bro playing lead guitar and wrote the song..

I am not sure if i understand this correct, but are you saying that your brothers are playing in The Gang Of Saints and that one of your brothers even wrote that song..?

Because thats a superb song man..!

Really, am i understanding this correct or not..?

I am not sure if i understand this correct, but are you saying that your brothers are playing in The Gang Of Saints and that one of your brothers even wrote that song..?

Because thats a superb song man..!

Really, am i understanding this correct or not..?
Yep my brother is guitarist and wrote song, thanks for the compliment I’ll tell him. The bass player was really good and you can hear his voice crack on some of the high notes LOL. It was This Feeling on one side and Yes it’s to bad on other. They were The Rogues but had to abandon because it was taken. Bunches of garage bands with interchangeable players came and went during the time- some were pretty good.

Dang - I really like that song! Add me to the list complimenting your brothers on their performance.

GeeDeeEmm

I read a long article a few months ago that convinced me that Pete Best was dumped because he was the real star of the early Beatles, and that John, Paul, and George resented all the attention he got. The article included pop magazine articles of the time, and they clearly reflected that Best was indeed the one Beatle who was idolized by the girl fans.

We've always been told that Best was dumped because he was not a good drummer, but that's obviously not true. According to the article (I can't find it now, darn it), the blame for Best's firing has been laid at the feet of the record label, but the other three were quite anxious to see Best go.

And, truth be told, the band was made better by Ringo. His style of playing fit perfectly with the group, his persona gelled with the others, and the Beatles would never have been the same without him. In the end, Pete Best simply wasn't the best fit for them.

And, honestly, if it weren't for Ringo, I wouldn't have played drums for the last fifty-plus years. Ringo was THE MAN.

GeeDeeEmm
I agree with you, very well said!

Probably a bit late posting to this thread, as I only recently joined. I suppose due to lockdown I've had more time to spend fluting around on utube, but a recent interview with Pete Best on a TV show here in Ireland sparked an interest.
I think something a lot of people forget is that the Beatles were only on the cusp of fame when he was asked to leave, and no one could have predicted just how famous they would become. I'd guess even George Martin at the time probably expected an album or two, and a few hit singles.
It would have been a completely different scenario if he's been kicked out a year later.... I doubt he would have recovered from that experience.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jimmie Nicol, and how playing (or not playing) with the Beatles affected his life.
I'm in my 60's and have been playing since my teens, my first 'real' band was a heavy metal group who I played with for a few years, and was eventually thrown out of because.... simply I was not as good as the other guys on a technical level. So I went away and practised and practised and got better... I was actually thrown out of my second band as well because I couldn't twirl my sticks or 'showboat'.... It was then I decided to concentrate on what I was good at, and 40 odd years later I'm still playing, recording and still having fun. I never fell out with any of the guys I played with and most are still friends.
I cannot imagine what Pete had to go through..... but on listening to the few recordings of him with the Beatles, and the odd clip on uTube down through the years his playing didn't really seem to improve, and his personality is somewhat 'restrained'. Ringo, on the other hand, always seemed to be a natural 'entertainer'.... Plus he had the foresight to call himself Ringo.... and there will only ever be one Ringo.

Back