Joey Jordison named best drummer of past 25 years

mattsmith

Platinum Member
And I'm sorry but all the Jojo love I find hilarious. I can name several people in my immediate area who are way more knowledgeable then he is. Look into the drumcorps world.
Now why did you go and say that? And why do so many who are probably not even in a drum corps make these arbitrary comments about DCI guys when most of those guys are solid enough personalities to never say things like this themselves. And interestingly all this over the top talk always comes rolling around at the start of high school marching season.

If you seriously think that Jojo Mayer could not have played center snare with any top 12 DCI corps when he was 20 years old you are sadly misinformed.

Yeah those guys are great players but to use DCI as a Jojo disclaimer is nuts. Those guys are fantastic technicians who are my age. Jojo Mayer is a grown man with seasoning. There really is a difference. And no it's not an applae and oranges issue either. I'm talking about the sheer ability to play a drum.

Joey thread officially hijacked. Come on man you just can't say things like that and not expect an educated response. And if you find that hilarious, may I suggest for you more appropriate ways for acquiring a sense of humor.

CptHowdy

Look into the drumcorps world.
Why because we need to know how good one person can do a drum roll with a million different rudiments? Drumming is more than those few drums in front of you and reading sheet music. If you don't put any emotion in what your playing and utilizing all of your limbs then i honestly don't think you could say your a real drummer. And not only that, to bring that up in a conversation where drumcorps instrumentalists could possibly be compared to that of harrison, peart, and jojo? Wtf are you thinking?

BrewBillfold

Silver Member
I find it difficult to believe that musicians would dislike him for his playing, actually. I can see not caring so much for the style of music he plays, but he's a quality player in terms of his craftsmanship, his technical abilities, etc. I'd bet anything that most of the negative comments are rooted in something other than his playing.

And no, he's not my favorite drummer or anything. I just think he's a very good player, as are tens of other drummers who aren't my favorites.

BrewBillfold

Silver Member
You must be getting mixed up, Bo. I hear that Wynton Marsalis calls him for gigs ... apparently he plays a mean washboard.
I know you're joking around, but it gives me the opportunity to make a good point. While Jordison wouldn't likely be a great drummer with Wynton, someone like Tain would equally not likely be a good drummer with Slipknot.

CptHowdy

I'd bet anything that most of the negative comments are rooted in something other than his playing.
Yes he may be a decent drummer but to be nominated for an honor such as this, he just doesn't make the cut. There are a million of slipknot fans in the world, i don't much like there style of playing but they have composed a few songs that i like. But i do believe that most of the people who voted for him are probably impressed with his speed and ability to play at those speeds often. But honestly if it was up to that i'd have to say that my friend Dusty Boles would be further nominated that Jordison should be.

You tell me who's faster.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJgS74UTusM

BrewBillfold

Silver Member
Yes he may be a decent drummer but to be nominated for an honor such as this, he just doesn't make the cut. There are a million of slipknot fans in the world, i don't much like there style of playing but they have composed a few songs that i like. But i do believe that most of the people who voted for him are probably impressed with his speed and ability to play at those speeds often. But honestly if it was up to that i'd have to say that my friend Dusty Boles would be further nominated that Jordison should be.

You tell me who's faster.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJgS74UTusM
I actually doubt many of the people voting would say they were voting for him merely for speed, because he doesn't at all just play fast. He's more like a "nu-metal" Lars Ulrich, who concentrates on playing "for the music". It's not like Slipknot is a technical death metal band (which is no knock against technical death metal bands, but it would make more sense that a technical death metal drummer were being admired for speed, since that's one thing some of those bands tend to concentrate on--shredding). Slipknot concentrates on "feel", on grooving, etc. Are we forgetting the importance of grooving?

druid

Silver Member
I'm no 15 year old and I like Joey's playing. I think he plays his role well in his group it fits for what the group does. And I'm sorry but all the Jojo love I find hilarious. I can name several people in my immediate area who are way more knowledgeable then he is. Look into the drumcorps world.
well you may believe all that....that is your perogative however after watching Joey's solo he sounded alot like many of the kids I see in Guitar Center. Other than the blast beat portion of his solo I was not all excited really.

I 'd guess Jojo could jump right into DCI playing without too much struggle I am not so sure the DCI guys you referrence could jump right into Nerve or play with the likes of Harry Sokol in Depart the way he does.

Who knows maybe they could...? But it's a whole different ballgame

CptHowdy

Are we forgetting the importance of grooving?
Grooving is the key to drumming so no, i didnt forget about that. Im very stubborn about a lot of things when it comes to drumming and what i expect from a drummer that should be considered "great" It just gets on my nerves when i see things such as this happen.

And even if he was considered for his groove thats been written on the few albums slipknot has, Rush has written 20? albums and peart didn't win? (im not saying that Portnoy or Harris dont deserve it either) But if it came down to grooving then id say peart deserves it more.

BrewBillfold

Silver Member
Grooving is the key to drumming so no, i didnt forget about that. Im very stubborn about a lot of things when it comes to drumming and what i expect from a drummer that should be considered "great" It just gets on my nerves when i see things such as this happen.

And even if he was considered for his groove thats been written on the few albums slipknot has, Rush has written 20? albums and peart didn't win? (im not saying that Portnoy or Harris dont deserve it either) But if it came down to grooving then id say peart deserves it more.
Okay, but I'm not saying anything about "who deserves to win", or trying to argue whether one drummer is better than another--I think such things are subjective anyway.

I was just commenting on the parade of very negative opinions about Jordison, which again, I think are fueled by something other than a measured consideration of his musical contributions to his band. Musicians considering him a bad drummer are probably not applying very consistent criteria for what makes a good or bad drummer, because they're considering him a bad drummer for other reasons--like not liking that kind of music, not liking Slipknot's image, realizing it's not considered cool for someone like them (their age, social clique, etc.) to like Slipknot, etc. I'd not be surprised, although I'd still be disappointed, if a lot of folks saying they don't like his drumming haven't even listened to much Slipknot.

You don't have to think he's a horrible drummer to think that someone else is a better drummer, that you would have preferred to see someone else win a poll, etc.

Let's reserve "horrible drummer" for folks who can't groove, can't keep time, who cause trainwrecks, who don't at all listen to what is going on around them musically, etc., yet who boast about how great they are and who have been playing for awhile. The VAST majority of drummers who have had any kind of sustained recording and touring career are not horrible drummers.

Pachikara-Tharakan

Silver Member
I think they should start a poll for picking a drummer who plays tastefully with the music on banging a well tuned minimal 3 or 4 piece set with high quality cymbals (my dream!) without any theatrical show offs on 20,0002 tom toms.

BrewBillfold

Silver Member
I think they should start a poll for picking a drummer who plays tastefully with the music on banging a well tuned minimal 3 or 4 piece set with high quality cymbals (my dream!) without any theatrical show offs on 20,0002 tom toms.
I wouldn't say that quality playing has any correlation to how many drums and cymbals one is using or how expensive they are.

Schism21

I don't think Joey deserved #1, but he did deserve to be on the list. I honestly expected all of Mike Portnoy's fans to band together and vote him #1. And hell, I was surprised Gavin Harrison was on the list.

...but no Danny Carey! He's usually big on these fan voting polls.

aydee

Platinum Member

Couple of questions..

Like it or not everyone has the right to love, hate, be moved or unmoved by any drummer regardless of skill level and reputation, so why dont we give each other that room ?

Dont we all need to have the ability to have an appreciation for the art of drumming that happens to be outside of our genre and areas of musical interest?

BrewBillfold

Silver Member
Aydee, I agree with that, but:

Do we have the right to call people out for being inconsistent and biased by things that have nothing to do with someone's playing abilities, though?

I'd say the same thing about loving or hating people in general, maybe deciding to give them a job or not, etc. based on something other than their abilities to do the job, whether we're talking about discrimination based on choices they made for themselves or not. You should have a right to do that in my opinion (I'm a libertarian on that stuff), but I think that other folks have a right to call someone out on the biases and inconsistencies, too.

Freedom of thought and speech goes for everyone, including both the critic and the critic of the critic. ;-)

aydee

Platinum Member
Aydee, I agree with that, but:

Do we have the right to call people out for being inconsistent and biased by things that have nothing to do with someone's playing abilities, though?

I'd say the same thing about loving or hating people in general, maybe deciding to give them a job or not, etc. based on something other than their abilities to do the job, whether we're talking about discrimination based on choices they made for themselves or not. You should have a right to do that in my opinion (I'm a libertarian on that stuff), but I think that other folks have a right to call someone out on the biases and inconsistencies, too.

Freedom of thought and speech goes for everyone, including both the critic and the critic of the critic. ;-)
Yea, but bias aside, this is a non discussion. On two counts.

One, its a popularity contest. Joey wins. Does he deserve to? Absolutely. He was more popular than Gavin.
These popularity polls have a wonderful way of taking the word 'popular' and inferring and extending and twisting it it to mean 'best'. The two words have nothing to do with each other.
Which brings me to my second point. Best is not a word that exists in a music dictionary as I know it.

Last edited:

Pachikara-Tharakan

Silver Member
I wouldn't say that quality playing has any correlation to how many drums and cymbals one is using or how expensive they are.
I agree with you 100%... but the one with minimal kit has to go extra mile and demonstrate extra ordinary talent to sound intersting.. i guess.

I am not bashing anyone..just a thought.

bigd

Silver Member
Now why did you go and say that? And why do so many who are probably not even in a drum corps make these arbitrary comments about DCI guys when most of those guys are solid enough personalities to never say things like this themselves. And interestingly all this over the top talk always comes rolling around at the start of high school marching season.

If you seriously think that Jojo Mayer could not have played center snare with any top 12 DCI corps when he was 20 years old you are sadly misinformed.

Yeah those guys are great players but to use DCI as a Jojo disclaimer is nuts. Those guys are fantastic technicians who are my age. Jojo Mayer is a grown man with seasoning. There really is a difference. And no it's not an applae and oranges issue either. I'm talking about the sheer ability to play a drum.

Joey thread officially hijacked. Come on man you just can't say things like that and not expect an educated response. And if you find that hilarious, may I suggest for you more appropriate ways for acquiring a sense of humor.
Matt,

Calm down I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I wasn't talking about the kids playing in DCI I'm talking about all the great guys teaching this stuff to 1,000's of kids. Delucia, Hardimon, Queen, Hannum, Savage, Beck, Moore, Wooten, Wanamaker, and all the tech's teaching and many, many more as well as the orchestral guys like Lamb, Deviney, Vinson, too many to list and an even larger number of monster teachers/players sitting in colleges everywhere. It just strikes me funny that Jojo's dvd which I think is good is so groundbreaking to so many people on the forum. I learned most of this stuff in the 80's from my teacher who was a Manhattan grad and also a student of the great Henry Adler.

Again, I didn't want to ruffle anyone it's just people always seem to list Jojo as a monter and I wouldn't even place him anywhere in the top 100.

Hang loose.