JHow to tune your drums.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Interesting. So if I put my tom on a level surface add some sugar on top, I should be able to adjust each lug to an equal tension using a visual pattern.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Interesting-it's like he initially creates an even standing wave then produces the patterns with interference waves. He should use colored sands-I wonder if the molecular weight of dye and properties of a dye would alter the rate of movement of dyed sands-so it would be a wave chromatograph? The true color of sand comes from the minerals within it-I wonder when you dye white sand does the dye attach to sand or organic contaminants in the sand? Anyways I bet various dyed sands could move at different rates and give unique patters blending primary colors. Dang I want to build a table like that for my grandchild and I to play with sand-it would be cool! Maybe get the innards out of an old electric football set to create a standing wave and then she and I could add the interference with various tools to make the patterns-make it easier. I could use magnetic fillings to with magnetic hand paddles to hold underneath to make iron filling patterns-we could put paper faces or designs-add filings and move it around. I'll make a 3-4 foot one initially-get my best friend to cut it for me and weld on legs. I'll make foot and half high so she can reach it.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
So the big, slower scratching produced 10 points in the sand. The short, fast scratching produced 8. Somehow this applys to the number of lugs but I havent figured it out yet.