Jesus Christ Pose drum beat.

Migaluch

Hey drummers. I don't know if you guys like Soundgarden at all, but i love the drumming on the song Jesus Christ Pose. I tried to look up a tab for it, but there is none to be found. It's a difficult beat to figure out that goes all over the toms, so i ask DW if anyone is kind enough to help me figure out what is going on? I just ask for the basic rolling beat.

Here's a useful link to a recording of just the drums:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDh1ixq6uM0

Thanks. I love you all. :)

BrewBillfold

Silver Member
I love Soundgarden!

I really need to acquire the ability to post transcriptions here. Anyway, here's a verbal description that hopefully won't be too difficult to understand:

The basic groove is one bar of 4/4, heavy on sixteenth notes, with a bit of syncopation. I don't know how to get this to work better, as I think it will automatically eat up any spaces I try to type to make it read horizontally--so that it would read more like "normally" written music), so what I'm going to do is write the bar out down the left hand side (so "1" is the first line, "e" is the second, etc., and then next to that type the sticking you should use, then the drum to hit: Sn is snare, T1, T2--tom 1 and 2, FlT--Floor Tom, B-bass) . . . I'm sorry this is a mess, but hopefully you can figure it out so it makes some sense to you:

1: R (T2) & B
e: L (T1)
&: R (FlT) & B
a: (no stick just) B
2: lR (Sn flam)
e: (rest)
&: R (Sn) & B
a: l (Sn ghosted note)
3: (rest)
e: L (Sn)
&: (rest)
a: (no stick just) B (and pretty much ghosted on the bass drum)
4: R (Sn)
a: L (T1)

The "a" of 4 should be thought of as a pick-up, so it's really the beginning of the phrase. Note that starting with that, you've got four straight sixteenths on the toms--LRLR, on T1 T2 T1 FlT, then the bass drum supplies the "a" of beat 1 before the heavy flam on the backbeat--2--on the snare. Aside from that, the bass drum pattern is: 1 &a (2) & (3) a (4) (the beats in parentheses are rests), and the snare drum is (1) 2 &a (3)e 4e, with two being the heavy flam, and the "a" of 2 being ghosted (and remember again there that the beats in parentheses are rests--I'm just including them so it makes more sense).

As in another recent example, from Tool's "Lateralus"--I'm not sure if you're the same person who asked about that--this is played without a hi-hat, but at least while practicing it, I'd try to at least do quarters on the hi-hat with your left foot (so on 1, 2, 3 and 4). What I'd probably do if I were playing it would be to do the "upbeats" on the hi-hat instead--all of the "&s", but that will likely be more of a challenge.

tinlid82

I love Soundgarden!

I really need to acquire the ability to post transcriptions here. Anyway, here's a verbal description that hopefully won't be too difficult to understand:

The basic groove is one bar of 4/4, heavy on sixteenth notes, with a bit of syncopation. I don't know how to get this to work better, as I think it will automatically eat up any spaces I try to type to make it read horizontally--so that it would read more like "normally" written music), so what I'm going to do is write the bar out down the left hand side (so "1" is the first line, "e" is the second, etc., and then next to that type the sticking you should use, then the drum to hit: Sn is snare, T1, T2--tom 1 and 2, FlT--Floor Tom, B-bass) . . . I'm sorry this is a mess, but hopefully you can figure it out so it makes some sense to you:

1: R (T2) & B
e: L (T1)
&: R (FlT) & B
a: (no stick just) B
2: lR (Sn flam)
e: (rest)
&: R (Sn) & B
a: l (Sn ghosted note)
3: (rest)
a: (no stick just) B (and pretty much ghosted on the bass drum)
4: R (Sn)
a: L (T1)

The "a" of 4 should be thought of as a pick-up, so it's really the beginning of the phrase. Note that starting with that, you've got four straight sixteenths on the toms--LRLR, on T1 T2 T1 FlT, then the bass drum supplies the "a" of beat 1 before the heavy flam on the backbeat--2--on the snare. Aside from that, the bass drum pattern is: 1 &a (2) & (3) a (4) (the beats in parentheses are rests), and the snare drum is (1) 2 &a (3)e 4e, with two being the heavy flam, and the "a" of 2 being ghosted (and remember again there that the beats in parentheses are rests--I'm just including them so it makes more sense).

As in another recent example, from Tool's "Lateralus"--I'm not sure if you're the same person who asked about that--this is played without a hi-hat, but at least while practicing it, I'd try to at least do quarters on the hi-hat with your left foot (so on 1, 2, 3 and 4). What I'd probably do if I were playing it would be to do the "upbeats" on the hi-hat instead--all of the "&s", but that will likely be more of a challenge.
can you be more specific