Jerry Granelli

I just recently came across this video myself! I’ve been curious what cymbals Jerry is using here — I love the sounds.

Can anybody lend their expertise? The hihats are probably K Custom Darks from what I can see, but I’m more interested in the others: one is clearly a Sabian, but I can quite figure out the other.

I just recently came across this video myself! I’ve been curious what cymbals Jerry is using here — I love the sounds.

Can anybody lend their expertise? The hihats are probably K Custom Darks from what I can see, but I’m more interested in the others: one is clearly a Sabian, but I can quite figure out the other.
The other looks like my old K Custom.

Attachments

• 20180620_180519-1200x1200.jpg
    20180620_180519-1200x1200.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 2
I actually watched Jerry's other group videos and this one several months ago while trying to get my brush chops back into shape. I liked the way he accented the brush strokes on this song and watching him helped me to understand how the brush work created that famous shuffling sound from the song.
Simple but powerful!

I think Jerry also played on the We Five's "You Were On My Mind" in the mid-sixties, fairly busy playing at a time of simple beats, but extremely tasteful at the same time. I think he also played on "Monster Mash" (Bobby Pickett) with its nice surfy drum intro.

I always thought Colin Bailey played those Christmas classics but I guess he was on cuts that didn’t make the show. Great drummers both. RIP.

I've been regularly watching the JG trio videos for several weeks, as a few of these Christmas-y songs are played by a jazz band I'm in. Watching Jerry's brush techniques up close has been valuable, seeing how he grips the brushes, moves them around to generate the different sounds/patterns on Linus and Skating in particular. This has helped improve my brush work (which lagged behind other techniques).

The space he leaves is an endless chasm...what a master. Brushwork to make Pollock envious.

I keep that soundtrack to 'Merry Christmas Charlie Brown' favorited in my browser.

I've long since quit believing I know who played what...regardless of sleeve documentation. The way $ and wierd territoriality goes...

later in life Jerry became an avant garde drummer I saw him in clinic mid 70s at Berklee and bought his record;
similar to:

Back