Jazz setup

SlitYourDrums

Hey guys
I'm going out of my normal realm of extreme metal and I'm actually in a little jazz group. We have a gig soon at a small winery and I'm not really sure what to bring. Can some of you jazz guys give some tips and maybe post pictures of your kits? Thanks

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
What do you currently have?

Depending on the size and exactly what the gig is, I bring my Ludwig Signet 20x15, 12x8, 14x14 kit, with my Zildjian K Light/Thin cymbals. Though I'm thinking about selling this kit for an 18" Bass drum kit for this purpose, I went with the 20" because it was my only kit at the time.

If it is really small and the band is background I might just bring a Cajon or use the Cajon as a bass drum with hi-hat snare and maybe a ride.

A friend of mine uses a Sonor Jungle kit with a 16" kick.

I think a lot of depends on if your a feature or background. As background music you really shouldn't be that loud.

opentune

Platinum Member
Double pedals. Just kidding.
Thats quite a leap from extreme medal to quiet jazz. Good for you for being so versatile.
If its a very tiny space I would suggest just a snare, smaller bass drum, hats and ride cymbal.

brady

Platinum Member
You can totally play jazz on a 20" bass drum. You don't need an 18" or anything small like that. For a winery gig, as background music, you can easily use a 22" (which I assume you have).

Easy on the kick though. No AC/DC type bass drum thing here. Play softly, feathering the bass drum. It should be felt, not heard.

I would also bring your lightest, darkest cymbals, nothing to clangy.

And maybe bring a shallower, sensitive snare, no 8" deep cannon snares (sorry, I'm assuming again. You DID say you were coming from extreme metal) :)

That should cover the gear...

Jazz is (usually) completely different, dynamically, from rock. Play with big ears. Listen to the soloist. Your playing should compliment what they are doing. Also, know the forms of the songs you are doing; AABA, ABA, blues, etc.

Oh, and while I'm making assumptions, I may as well close with, "Get a haircut." :)

alparrott

Platinum Member
Also: if you are using some of your 'normal' drums for jazz duty, you may want to address the heads and tuning. Rather than heavy-duty double-ply heads tuned very loose, get some single-ply coated heads on there and tune them a bit high to get some notes out of them. Same with sticks: you may wish to use lighter sticks, rods, brushes, blasticks, or a combination based on the tunes you'll be playing. Good luck, listen, and have fun!

SlitYourDrums

Ok. I have two kits. My main kit is my Yamaha Maple Classic (10,12,14,22) and my other kit is my Ludwig Accent (6,8,10,12,13,16,22x2). I'd be using my Yammies, except just a 3 piece. I'm also probably going to bring my hats and my dark ride and a Signature china as a swish. And my 2002 cup chime. Duh.
And about double pedals, lol, Im going to bring them just because it's all I have and I dont feel like taking them apart fora single.
I'm a bit worried about my snare as it is 13"x7".

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Apart from what all the other posts have stated the only additional thing you might consider is swapping out your current pedal beater with something like a Vater Vintage Bomber bass drum beater. I wouldn't buy one for just one gig, perhaps you could borrow one.

Your 7 X 13" snare should be fine. The only "issue" is there's a little less real estate for using brushes on a 13" snare.

Last edited:

brady

Platinum Member
Apart from what all the other posts have stated the only additional thing you might consider is swapping out your current pedal beater with something like a Vater Vintage Bomber bass drum beater. I wouldn't buy one for just one gig, perhaps you could borrow one.

Your 7 X 13" snare should be fine. The only "issue" is there's a little less real estate for using brushes on a 13" snare.

Any easy fix for the beater would be just slip a sock or something over the bass drum beater. Cheaper than a new beater.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
One or two allen screws or drum key screws and the pedal is apart. Can't be that hard.