Jazz Ride Cymbal Help Sabian HHX

theuntitleddrummer

Ok,
I have cut it down to three ride cymbals:
HHX Groove Ride 21
HHX Manhattan Jazz Ride 20
HHX Evolution Ride 20

What I look for in this ride, is not too much stick definition, there has to be some wash where you can still hear the ride pattern but its smooth between each hit (esp for busy playing), a good crash. Probably a little trashy. I don't play as much rock so versatility is not an issue. Just strictly for jazz. Anyone owns these rides?
I forgot to mention, can these rides be heard in an outdoor setting because I want this to ride to be my main one. Thanks!

Max99

I would recommend the Sabian HHX 20/21" Legacy ride. It's got a really nice dark wash to it but with enough ping to hear a groovy ride pattern, and it's and awesome trashy crash.

madgolfer

I have a 20' Manhattan ride with one rivet added. It sounds great. I use it as a left side ride, but you could easily use it as a main ride. It is crashable and has just enough stick definition to keep it from being too washy. I also own the Groove Ride, and I would say that ride is more appropriate for big band jazz as it is a little "chingier," if that makes sense. If you want a cheaper alternative, go with a 22' AA Raw Ride. They sound like the DeJohnette Encore series, but a little thinner and darker. I use one of these as my main ride alongside the Manhattan. Great combo.

RobertM

Platinum Member
I would seriously check out the AA Raw Rides at cymbalsonly.com Tony orders them in lighter weights, and they provide a nice, drier definition that still has body (i.e., not too bright).

The Manhattan Rides and hats strike me as overpriced for what they are. I think those run over $400. For that price, I'd rather get a Bosphorus Masters (excellent jazz rides) or Agop Signature (also excellent), or even a Zildjian KCON (the ol' reliable). The Manhattan Rides I've played seem too washy; hence my recommendation for the AA Raw Rides, which have more definition to them.

Good luck on your search!

theuntitleddrummer

Actually what I wanted to buy was two rides: the AA Raw Ride and something else. It's just I don't know if the AA stand by itself in an outdoor setting + a big band setting as a main ride and the 22inch size is discontinued

conchrandy

Manhattan 20 ride here along with the AA 16 thin crash. Nice, but can't get the Vault Artisan series off my mind.

chathamight

I would recommend the Sabian HHX 20/21" Legacy ride. It's got a really nice dark wash to it but with enough ping to hear a groovy ride pattern, and it's and awesome trashy crash.
i second this. i have a legacy ride and it's great. the wash is killer and when you crash, it sounds almost like a china. go out and listen to a legacy.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Actually what I wanted to buy was two rides: the AA Raw Ride and something else. It's just I don't know if the AA stand by itself in an outdoor setting + a big band setting as a main ride and the 22 inch size is discontinued
If you wanted a 22", Sabian will make it.
They don't "discontinue" cymbals like other companies. It's just not a listed item because of so many cymbals in the catalog.
If you do a lot of outdoor, you might want something that's a little brighter (than the sound you hear in your head that you want), just for the cymbal to carry--unless you mic it.

Good luck in getting your rides!!

Big Foot

Silver Member
I have a 22" Manhattan ride and not sure it (20" or 22") would be loud enough for an outdoor gig. It sounds great but it's not the loudest cymbal...

willieboy_sf

If you want a strictly jazz ride, why are you focusing on Sabian? IMHO Bosphorus and Istanbul make much better jazz rides.

A

audiotech

I know that you mention HHX, and I have an HHX Evolution 20" ride, but I really wouldn't call it a "jazz" ride. You can play jazz on just about any ride cymbal, but I feel there are better suited. I also have a Hand Hammered 21" Vintage ride that I feel a bit more appropriate for that genre and in fact a lot of different styles of music. It can be played louder than the Evolution to be heard in most unmiked situations and it has a beautiful lower fundamental tone to the cymbal. If you can, give one a listen.

Dennis

grobinson2

Manhattan 20 ride here along with the AA 16 thin crash. Nice, but can't get the Vault Artisan series off my mind.
I've got a 22" Artisan Light Ride and I'm absolutely in love with it. It's got such beautiful tone, very trashy and yet so clean at the same time, it's hard to describe. If you can manage the dough, grab one of these puppies.