Jazz Hats and Ride Sizes

ohiodrummer1964

I have a set of Paiste PST5 cymbals my dad bought me when I first started, 14-16-18-20.

I want to upgrade to Paiste Traditionals. Those are too expensive to get hats, two crashes and a ride, plus I'm much more interested in studying jazz at this stage, so I just want a pair of hats and a ride.

Would those of you who play jazz suggest a 20" or a 22" ride, given that you're only going with one ride. Mind you, I might choose to add the other size ride later, but which would you choose if you could only have one? Also, would you recommend the light ride or the light-medium ride?

Also, would you go with the 13" or 14" hi-hats for jazz.

I'll be living in an apartment and playing with brushes and the Lidwish Solutions Ultra Tones quiet sticks and beater, if that makes any difference. I want to play as quietly as possible without having to use mutes, which I'm assuming means go with the smaller and lighter cymbals, just checking on sound quality for jazz, that's all.

Thank you very much in advance.

Swexx

I have a set of Paiste PST5 cymbals my dad bought me when I first started, 14-16-18-20.

I want to upgrade to Paiste Traditionals. Those are too expensive to get hats, two crashes and a ride, plus I'm much more interested in studying jazz at this stage, so I just want a pair of hats and a ride.

Would those of you who play jazz suggest a 20" or a 22" ride, given that you're only going with one ride. Mind you, I might choose to add the other size ride later, but which would you choose if you could only have one? Also, would you recommend the light ride or the light-medium ride?

Also, would you go with the 13" or 14" hi-hats for jazz.

I'll be living in an apartment and playing with brushes and the Lidwish Solutions Ultra Tones quiet sticks and beater, if that makes any difference. I want to play as quietly as possible without having to use mutes, which I'm assuming means go with the smaller and lighter cymbals, just checking on sound quality for jazz, that's all.

Thank you very much in advance.
The absolute best would be if you got to play all these cymbals and form your own opinion about them. However, personally I would choose a 22" light ride and the 14" hihats. That would be more versatile for my own playing and preferences. It's just my opinion - you gotta form your own.

Here's the 22" light ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RLylWUq8m8
And here are the 14" hats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J032I3uOX8g

See if you can travel to a store, play them for yourself and form your own opinion. I think that'd be the best.

ohiodrummer1964

The absolute best would be if you got to play all these cymbals and form your own opinion about them. However, personally I would choose a 22" light ride and the 14" hihats. That would be more versatile for my own playing and preferences. It's just my opinion - you gotta form your own.

Here's the 22" light ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RLylWUq8m8
And here are the 14" hats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J032I3uOX8g

See if you can travel to a store, play them for yourself and form your own opinion. I think that'd be the best.
I agree about trying them in person, but I'm disabled and don't drive and walk with a walker, so I don't travel much. Paiste is known for their consistency, so I trust the sound files.

And I agree with you about the 22" and the 14". I listened to the sound files of the different sizes both before and after posting, and there's no question you get the darker jazz tone from the larger sizes. The difference between the 20" and 22" rides is very pronounced. The 20" almost sounds like a rock ride in comparison. Maybe not that far, but it is definitely a brighter tone.

Thanks for the reply.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
The 20" ride and 14" hihats shold be a little less expensive, since cost is an issue. I hope you're planning on getting them used. Either the light medium or the light ride will be well-suited to jazz; I would go for the l/m, or even a medium, for versatility's sake. I think the Traditionals are pretty uniformly great cymbals, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy them online. 20" is one of the standard ride cymbal sizes for jazz (or anything else), though 22s are more popular for primary rides right now.

Just a thought: just about any normal professional cymbal is going to be a big improvement over what you have now. 60's-80's A. Zildjians are sometimes going really cheaply used right now, and it's hard to screw up too badly on a 20" medium ride, 14" New Beat hihats, or 18" thin crash any of which you should be able to score for under $125 on eBay. People don't think of them as “jazz” cymbals, but actual jazz drummers have been using them as long as they've been around.

wildbill

Platinum Member
If you're not completely stuck on Paiste, and open to suggestions, here's mine:

split the 20/22 difference, and get a 21" Zildjian Sweet Ride. IMO, an excellent cymbal for jazz, and really quiet with brushes.

For hats, you can't go wrong with Zildjian New Beats. I like the 14's, but 13's would also work.

Here's a couple of each used - available now (12/21/2012). But there's plenty more if you search a bit:

http://www.musicgoround.com/search.aspx?q=zildjian sweet ride&z=&cid=0&scid=&l=0&d=10&min=&max=&p=1&c=10&ob=4&obd=1&sid=0&f=&clearance=0

http://www.musicgoround.com/search.aspx?q=zildjian new beat&z=&cid=4&scid=158&l=0&d=10&min=&max=&p=1&c=10&ob=4&obd=1&sid=0&f=&clearance=0

Last edited:

jodgey4

Silver Member
All great advice so far, also check out cymbalsonly.com, the owner Tony is really well liked on this site. He has sound files of all his cymbals, and is very pleasant to deal with. Right now, though, it doesn't look like he has any Traditional rides or hats...
Like wildbill says, if you're open to other brands, you open lots of possibilities. My current jazz ride is a 21" Agop Vezir Jazz Ride, and I have a pair of 13" Paiste Traditional Med-Light hats that I'm loaning out right now, they sound great though. For any Zildjian cymbals, the older the better!
BTW, my holy grail of jazz hats are the Bosphorus New Orleans 14" hats. Give them a listen! Good luck to you, and feel free to ask any questions.

ohiodrummer1964

All great advice so far, also check out cymbalsonly.com, the owner Tony is really well liked on this site. He has sound files of all his cymbals, and is very pleasant to deal with. Right now, though, it doesn't look like he has any Traditional rides or hats...
Like wildbill says, if you're open to other brands, you open lots of possibilities. My current jazz ride is a 21" Agop Vezir Jazz Ride, and I have a pair of 13" Paiste Traditional Med-Light hats that I'm loaning out right now, they sound great though. For any Zildjian cymbals, the older the better!
BTW, my holy grail of jazz hats are the Bosphorus New Orleans 14" hats. Give them a listen! Good luck to you, and feel free to ask any questions.
I've been doing searches on jazz cymbals all day, and listening to sound files. It seems like the Masterwork Jazz series and the Murat Dirils are really inexpensive and sound great. I don't blame Gruntersdad for missing his Masterworks. The only problem with those two series in the only place online that has soundfiles (that I found, at least) is turkishcymbalsonly.com, and they're sold out of about everything from both of those manufacturers that I, and apparently everyone else, wants.

Of course, since I do have my PST5's, I don't have to upgrade everything at once. I can live with the hats, since the ride is my big concern for jazz. I even like the bow on the PST5 ride, it's nice and glassy, but the bell is clanky and the overtones when you crash it are really harsh, not at all like a pro cymbal.

I remember when I started I compared the PST5's to the ZBT's, B8's and MCS', and the PST5's were hands down the best of the four. Now, two years later, I can hear the tonal insufficiencies of my beginner cymbals every time I play them, and realize everyone who says stick with pro cymbals was right. Oh well, live and learn.