jazz drumming/traditional grip/rudiments

ccsimms

Here's the deal:
My studies are starting to bring me to focusing on jazz drumming and become better at improvising in the various jazz genres and using more complex rudimental patterns. I've got my rudiments in the pocket for traditional grip, however, I'm more comfortable playing matched grip around the kit. Should I better master the rudiments for matched or focus on applying rudiments with traditional to the kit?

oops

Silver Member
It seems funny that you would 'master' the rudiments with one grip, yet play better around the kit with another. Have you really spent that much time working on both grips?

It really depends on what you want from your drumming as to which you decide to work on. I find it difficult to play brushes in matched, so I'm forced to practice playing traditional grip with brushes. For the rest of my playing I'm more comfortable playing matched, so I don't practice traditional, except when I'm playing brushes.

lochday

Look at the great jazz drummers. They use both grips without thinking about which one to use for this or that.
Of course certain things are easier with a certain grip and some drummers have their own preference but after hours of using both grips for everything, one day it just happens to no longer be a problem...
Work on switching grips during the same song or exercise and see what happens. Don't do this only one week, do it for a long period of time, say a few months, insisting on perfecting either grip, too (very important)...
Then you will be able to play either grip during gigs without thinking and concentrate on the music.
I play mostly traditional but I also try to use matched grip.
just my 2 cents

ccsimms

Work on switching grips during the same song or exercise and see what happens. Don't do this only one week, do it for a long period of time, say a few months, insisting on perfecting either grip, too (very important)...
Then you will be able to play either grip during gigs without thinking and concentrate on the music.
Great words of advice, thanks for the tip.

donv

Silver Member
however, I'm more comfortable playing matched grip around the kit.
Do you know why this is? I think it's just the nature of most of us drummers to "fix something" when we haven't even isolated the problem. We're result orientated people, and when we have a "result" we want to change, we often pursue the change like it's a treasure hunt. The time we could save ourselves is the real blessing of a good teacher.