Jazz and Matched Grip

s1212z

The grip question was squashed for me long ago when I went to the MD fest in 97'. Virgil Donati played with such power and flexibility w/ trad around the kit and never switch to matched once. Likewise, Bill Stewart swung so gracefully and had awesome touch and one of my fav jazzers...again no switch (I've seen Bill play trad but very rarely).

I'll never be an accomplished trad grip player. I switch back and forth for brush playing only because some sweeps feel/sound better with the trad grip stance. Its nice to have another tool in the toolbox for certain instances but the constant switch that some top players will do, I would not want that anyways. Some other plays no mentioned, Jojo has been playing more matched more than ever but maybe it's a power thing for the music. Jack switch to matched but it could be a hand issue thing. I see Steve Smith do it quite a bit as well. Thomas Lang is another.

MG1127

my absolute favorite modern jazz players play predominantly matched

Ari Hoenig
Tyshawn Sorey
Bill Stewart
Justin Faulkner
Marcus Gilmore
Eric Harland
Mark Giuliana
Kolten Knaub

prokofi5

I play almost all jazz anymore and tried to decide on one grip but couldn't. I have better motor skills with matched so I play sticks that way but there are some things easier for me to do with brushes traditional so I go back and forth.

brushes

my absolute favorite modern jazz players play predominantly matched

Ari Hoenig
Tyshawn Sorey
Bill Stewart
Justin Faulkner
Marcus Gilmore
Eric Harland
Mark Giuliana
Kolten Knaub
Wolfgang Haffner and Manu Katché also play matched grip, so ... yes, there are many many jazzers nowadays who play matched - which makes sense.

mrmike

Silver Member
I've recently went back to traditional grip after 40 years of matched because I think it looks cool!

RayRay

I have seen Eric Gravatt I think with both Weather Report and Herbi Hancock. Like I said it is just your comfort zone and you just have to sound good whatever you do. My bad it was with Freddie Hubbard.
My experience level is expert.

RayRay

Go lightly on your sticks, when you can hear the echo in the wood you know you made it.

Last edited:

jimb

I always say this and get shot down every time. Hold ur hand/arm out match grip style and flex wrist up down now do it trad style and rotate....way more movement in trad style....gives me tons more slam than match but also sensitivity.

RayRay

I always say this and get shot down every time. Hold ur hand/arm out match grip style and flex wrist up down now do it trad style and rotate....way more movement in trad style....gives me tons more slam than match but also sensitivity.

RayRay

It is not a "war of styles" it is just what you learn and what works. I have been playing for over 60 years so I learned what I learned. a long time ago. I do believe the traditional style came from marching drum playing by right handed people. I have played in parade bands in high school and as a musician's union member. Even on my drum kits, I still set my snare drum up at a higher left hand angle and away from me. But having played in a classical group in college, I don't think matched would have been accepted other than on tympani. But, I'm mainly a Jazz guy. Both of my son's play matched.

Sebenza

Anyone think an audience member that didn't happen to be a musician, ever cared about how you hold your sticks?