Jazz “ Left Side” cymbals

My right side ride is always the main ride. It's always the bigger one.

The left side ride is always the one that I consider to be "the crash" of the two. It's usually higher pitched (but not always) and usually dryer than the main ride. Its primary purpose in my mind is to be the primary crash, but I always choose one that has a good ride tone as well.

I'm very excited because although I sold all my drum gear in 2020 after a two year drum drought, next week I'm buying a new small set of drums and cymbals. For now, I'll have JUST the right side crashable ride (21" HHX Groove Ride), a left side rideable crash (18" HHX Complex Crash) and some 15" HHX Groove Hats that I'm stoked for.

I primarily play jazz and have a few different cymbals that I alternate regularly. I wouldn’t get too caught up on cymbal size as much as contrast in sound between both cymbals. On one set up I have a 22 K Con Medium ride on my right and a 22 K Con Renaissance ride on my left. Both cymbals are in the 2600 gram range, and yes, both can be crashed with proper technique. I wouldn’t even say that either one is a “main” ride. The other set up is a 22 K Con Bounce ride (2466 grams) on the right, and a 20 K Con Medium Thin Low (1971 grams) on the left. Some times I’ll even substitute a 1950’s A Zildjian into the mix (2700 gram range) or a 20 K Ride (2358 grams) when I’m bored with the other stuff. Hi hats are the same throughout: 14 A Zildjian & CIE pair. So, go with your ears and have fun with whatever you choose.

I’ve had my 60,s 24 in Zil A main ride and then 22 k con as side ride, then tried 18 in Zildj K custom dark crash as a side ( which was ok) and then a 21 in Zil A sweet ride as side ride ( which I liked the brightness) both with my 22 K Con as main ride. Now I just use my 22 K Con hi bell thin ride because it does everything better than any side ride or crashes I have- so all rides and crashes loaned out or sitting in a case. I found my side ride was taking up space and I like simplifying the landscape

I was just drooling over this K con swish sound lab 🤤

They made one offs without rivets too.

That one is still high on my wish list, as I use Sound Labs exclusively.

Regarding the prototypes:

Last edited:
My right side ride is always the main ride. It's always the bigger one.

The left side ride is always the one that I consider to be "the crash" of the two. It's usually higher pitched (but not always) and usually dryer than the main ride. Its primary purpose in my mind is to be the primary crash, but I always choose one that has a good ride tone as well.

I'm very excited because although I sold all my drum gear in 2020 after a two year drum drought, next week I'm buying a new small set of drums and cymbals. For now, I'll have JUST the right side crashable ride (21" HHX Groove Ride), a left side rideable crash (18" HHX Complex Crash) and some 15" HHX Groove Hats that I'm stoked for.
My main ride at 1 pm, the groove ide 21", is the most polyvalent ride I could find, a killer and loud bell, crashable for sure and Nice wash too, they had 3 in the stores in my town and I was able to listen to all for them before choosing it...Then I have my ping ride, AAX RBDR 21" and the wash ride, Zildjian A Custom sweet ride...and the left side ride is either a Sabian artisan light ride 20 or a Meinl Foundry reserve ride 20"...If I want to have both on the kit, I keep the foundry reserve on the left and use the Artisan on the right, more for a big loud crash.

Last edited:
I do things inverted, I have my 22" K custom dark ride (2630g) in the middle right, then, to the right of it is my 19" Turkish classic crash/ride (1628g), to get a second jazz ride sound and a nice low pitched crash.

Currently, I prefer to have the 2 rides on my right and my Turkish 17" medium crash (1190g) to my left, (which also can be used as a ride with a very gentile touch.)

:)

Right side- 22" 60s A, 20" late 50s A (I like these close to each other because they work well together, ride patterns using both make me smile)
Left side- 17" 90s A Custom rock crash, mystery 14" crash/splash (actually a really thin old cheap high hat cymbal).
Center- 10" 90s A Custom splash

Pretty basic stuff, but it works for me.

Right side- 22" 60s A, 20" late 50s A (I like these close to each other because they work well together, ride patterns using both make me smile)
Left side- 17" 90s A Custom rock crash, mystery 14" crash/splash (actually a really thin old cheap high hat cymbal).
Center- 10" 90s A Custom splash

Pretty basic stuff, but it works for me.
Funny, I do the same, my A custom 23 is super close to the Sabian RBDR 21 and just on top a bit so, I could do ride pattern alternating between both and the bells are both reachable!!! Sabian at 2 pm and Zildjian at 2h30 pm?? Something like that.

Back