Jams

moodman

I went to a Blues jam the other night. After the host band played, the first jam band, assembled from various players, played 2 Pink Floyd tunes and then Folsom Prison Blues and Boot Scoot Boogie. When I took over the drums, we played another Floyd and then Red House. Then I sang a jump blues and another guy did a 12 bar shuffle. Unusual for a Blues jam but actually all the playing was good, with solid players. I've been to tons of Blues jams but am not aware of jams for other specific kinds of music, aside from some acoustic open mics.
What are jams like where you are?

I'm not aware that jams happen regularly such as back in the day when you had to be able to play or get embarrassed. It was mostly jamming on known tunes..some blues shuffles..or Joe Walsh things. John blank who was offered the spot in James Gang when Tommy left turned it down..so he was among the locals showing up. Man I miss those days. Back in my youth I wouldn't jump in with those guys but now it would be let the old guys play a few if it even happened again like it did back in the day. Ripple was everywhere..pot smoke..loudness..and who's next was craziness.

Jazz jam has recently started up again at a local pub. It's good fun and normally has some moments of brilliance. The standard and character of players is broad which I enjoy. It's fun playing songs with some of the regulars. There's a sax player who counts in far too fast and a singer who randomly drops a bar or a beat. Playing with complete strangers is really exciting too

If other drummers turn up we take it in turns playing a couple before swapping

It's been good for picking up work in the past as a few pros and leaders attend looking for players. Also, its a great opportunity to hear my kit out front and learn how it responds to different techniques

If anyone is in Sheffield on the first Monday of a month, come along to the White Lion on London Road 8.30pm

Mostly Mustang Sally and Can't You See in my neighborhood.
Peronal Rant:
The first time I heard Mustang Sally I was in basic training at Ft Jackson S.C. and walking guard duty around a PX that had a Juke Box. It was the middle of the night and there was only one soldier in there. He played Mustang Sally over and over and was dancing to it. For a whole hour I heard that tune, being a musician I had it pretty well logged in by the time I went back to the guard shack. Which brings me to my point, I have never heard any band play it like the record. This carefully crafted rhythm masterpiece which, if played like the recording , would enlighten and inform.
Sitting in at jams, I've played the tubs right but, to many different bass lines and guitar rhythm attacks but, never like the original. That's cool, players should 'make it their own' and my band doesn't play it like I'd prefer when requested.
But, if I ever hear a band play it like the studio cut, they will have my undying respect.

Peronal Rant:
The first time I heard Mustang Sally I was in basic training at Ft Jackson S.C. and walking guard duty around a PX that had a Juke Box. It was the middle of the night and there was only one soldier in there. He played Mustang Sally over and over and was dancing to it. For a whole hour I heard that tune, being a musician I had it pretty well logged in by the time I went back to the guard shack. Which brings me to my point, I have never heard any band play it like the record. This carefully crafted rhythm masterpiece which, if played like the recording , would enlighten and inform.
Sitting in at jams, I've played the tubs right but, to many different bass lines and guitar rhythm attacks but, never like the original. That's cool, players should 'make it their own' and my band doesn't play it like I'd prefer when requested.
But, if I ever hear a band play it like the studio cut, they will have my undying respect.
For years l used to cringe anytime l heard a bar/wedding/jam band play Mustang Sally.

i really hated that song so when our band decided to add it to our repertoire, l held my nose and played. l did not count on liking it as much as l do now. It is a fun song to play and play around with. Not sure how much you might like our version

stay safe and play play play

Barry

I went to a Blues jam the other night. After the host band played, the first jam band, assembled from various players, played 2 Pink Floyd tunes and then Folsom Prison Blues and Boot Scoot Boogie. When I took over the drums, we played another Floyd and then Red House. Then I sang a jump blues and another guy did a 12 bar shuffle. Unusual for a Blues jam but actually all the playing was good, with solid players. I've been to tons of Blues jams but am not aware of jams for other specific kinds of music, aside from some acoustic open mics.
What are jams like where you are?

Open mic, or band karaoke, there’s a place on rt.53 and route 64 Brauerhouse. Tuesday nights open mic

I always thought a jam was supposed to be free flowing and creative. I really hate it when the idea is to jam and people start playing songs. I don't want to play Red House dammit.
What do you jam on if not songs? Like they say, it ain't what you play, it's the way you play it.
I think I know what you mean, you want to improvise instead of cover.
As far as playing creatively, it all depends on who you're playing with. Do you chase the solos, just keep time or whatever. Backing players at jams, you don't know how 'creative' you can be, so my method is to try follow the solo dynamics and just enhance that. I've backed some really good soloists that wanted interaction and I can play that way too.

Last edited:
For years l used to cringe anytime l heard a bar/wedding/jam band play Mustang Sally.

i really hated that song so when our band decided to add it to our repertoire, l held my nose and played. l did not count on liking it as much as l do now. It is a fun song to play and play around with. Not sure how much you might like our version

stay safe and play play play

Barry

I have the same problem with Black Sabbath”s “Paranoid” every band I ever joined they ALL did paranoid! NEVER again. Lol

When I was about 15/16 my mate Adam and I used to jam 'War Pigs'. Now that was fun. Even to this day it's one of my favourites to play.

Ironically the only time I've ever performed it live, I was the frontman, not the drummer.

Same here! My 2nd band on vocals we did warpigs and did it well imo.

In my world, open jams to me means that the soloists get to "jam" while the rhythm section supports that. Drum solos are probably the only diversion for drummers other than help hold it all together at jams. Which is just how it is, not complaining about that.

Then there's the front guys who give solos out all over the place, to everyone. I had to solo on "Stand By Me" once lol. Whaaaaattt? And then he cut my solo short with a chorus. I didn't even make 1 progression, which would have been the end of my solo. He just didn't understand basic musical structure. So what can you do but laugh it off? It's a good place to enter "the scene". All my contacts came from the jams.

Then there's the guys who perform the same 3 songs for decades lol.

Fascinating bunch, you humans.

In my world, open jams to me means that the soloists get to "jam" while the rhythm section supports that. Drum solos are probably the only diversion for drummers other than help hold it all together at jams. Which is just how it is, not complaining about that.

Then there's the front guys who give solos out all over the place, to everyone. I had to solo on "Stand By Me" once lol. Whaaaaattt? And then he cut my solo short with a chorus. I didn't even make 1 progression, which would have been the end of my solo. He just didn't understand basic musical structure. So what can you do but laugh it off? It's a good place to enter "the scene". All my contacts came from the jams.

Then there's the guys who perform the same 3 songs for decades lol.

Fascinating bunch, you humans.

Lemme guess, the vocalists drank?

Back