Jamming quietly/silently

stabmasterarson

Hey folks.

I have jammed in my house full volume for the last 7 years, and now my wife has had enough. I play metal of course, so she's had it. Anyway, I'm the only guy in the band with room to jam, so I'm looking into some other options. My band is my only hobby and now we are getting close to gigging so I don't want to give it up.

The only thing I can find is the jamhub, on musicians friend. Has anyone used one of these? I guess you would use an electric kit for the drums which is straight forward, but I wonder how you would run bass and guitar amps into it? Like use a multieffects board for guitar but I'm not sure how to hook a bass amp into it without the amp running a load?

We also have a 8 channel 800w pa, and mics etc, is there a way to use what we have to headphone jam? I've never tried anything like this, closest thing is recording in a studio but I'm not building a studio lol!

Any advice you guys have would be great, thanks

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
There is an industrial building near me. They have lots of little rooms. 12 ft. X 12 ft..
Bands rent these spaces. Costs about $200 per month. $50 per band member.
They can play as loud as they want anytime night or day.

stabmasterarson

There is an industrial building near me. They have lots of little rooms. 12 ft. X 12 ft..
Bands rent these spaces. Costs about $200 per month. $50 per band member.
They can play as loud as they want anytime night or day.

I live in northern alberta in a small oilpatch town. There isn't a jam rehearsal spot in this town, I've been looking for months. If there was a room for rent, it would be more like 1000$ a month, there's big money up here and everyone has their hand out.

toddmc

Gold Member
The only thing I can find is the jamhub, on musicians friend. Has anyone used one of these? I guess you would use an electric kit for the drums which is straight forward, but I wonder how you would run bass and guitar amps into it? Like use a multieffects board for guitar but I'm not sure how to hook a bass amp into it without the amp running a load?
I've used a JamHub for a few years now and I can tell you they're brilliant for silent practice with a band. I have the Bedroom model (which has five inputs)- no problem for bass/ guitar/ drums/ vocals to all go through the same mixer.
The best part is each person having the ability to individually mix their own sound (ie turn up drums, turn down guitar or whatever).
When it comes to having the most silent e-kit possible, I can recommend having all mesh heads for your toms and rubber cymbals.
Taking it a step further, use these when you need REALLY silent practice http://lidwishsoulutions.com/ultra_tones.asp
and these for your bass drums (using a traditional head beater combo [even mesh heads] will be the loudest part of your kit if you don't have these).
http://triggera.com/kick-pedal-trigger

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You said you already had a PA system? If everybody went into the board (including you with an eKit), all you would need is a decent headphone amplifier so everyone could plug into it to hear each other.

Then your wife would have to get used to the tap dancing ;)

toddmc

Gold Member
You said you already had a PA system? If everybody went into the board (including you with an eKit), all you would need is a decent headphone amplifier so everyone could plug into it to hear each other.
True, any mixer will do the job for silent practice, it's just nice to have the option of individual sound mixing for each person that the JamHub offers.

stabmasterarson

Then your wife would have to get used to the tap dancing ;)
so for the guitarist and bass to get a tone they like, what would they do? Also doesn't the PA need speakers hooked up to it? Would we just turn the mains down and turn the monitor section up, and feed that output to a headphone mixer? I'm old school, I've only ever done acoustic drums and guitars with big amps

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
so for the guitarist and bass to get a tone they like, what would they do? Also doesn't the PA need speakers hooked up to it? Would we just turn the mains down and turn the monitor section up, and feed that output to a headphone mixer? I'm old school, I've only ever done acoustic drums and guitars with big amps
Hmm. Since guitars depend on their amps and cabinets for their sound, I don't think those can be used if you're talking about it being silent. Could they just plug into their pedal boards and then go into the mixing board? You wouldn't be using your main amps or your big PA speakers either. Everybody goes into the board, and on the board there should be a headphone output. You're simply plugging a headphone amp into that so everyone can plug their headphones into the headphone amp. There will be a separate level control for each pair of headphones, and you're done. Your guitarists and bassist might have to sacrifice their tone so they can practice together in this manner.

stabmasterarson

Ok, I came up with this solution, with our guitar player. He has an 8 channel USB recording interface and adobe audition, we are going to all plug into that, then use the laptop for our headphone mixes. I picked up a roland td-11 ekit on rental, we're gonna jam like this sunday. Hopefully it works!

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Ok, I came up with this solution, with our guitar player. He has an 8 channel USB recording interface and adobe audition, we are going to all plug into that, then use the laptop for our headphone mixes. I picked up a roland td-11 ekit on rental, we're gonna jam like this sunday. Hopefully it works!
Sounds like it might work. Let us know how it goes............