Jamie2c's grip question. Please help him.

W

wy yung

is it normal that when I use my drumsticks from Vic Firth I get my hands burned? I know that at the beginning, when we start playing drums, our hands have to adjust to the sticks, and it will leave some funny bruises, but with these sticks I get burned, I tried to use some tape around my fingers but still it burns me. I don't know if my technique is really poor or if the drumsticks don't suit me, but if it is normal to get burned by sticks of that type, what can I do to enjoy them? With all the others sticks that I have I play fine and they don't burn or whatever
Hi guys. As I mentioned in the open handed thread, I am way too busy to help him today. I trust you guys can help.

Many thanks.

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Would say it's more the technique than the sticks.

Find the best hands guy you can either locally or on skype and get 1 lesson with them. Tell them what's happening and then take their advice.

Only speculation on a forum. Need first hand (excuse the pun) experience and insight

D

Noisy

It is “possible” to be allergic to the wood or the chemicals used to cover the stick.

RayI

It is “possible” to be allergic to the wood or the chemicals used to cover the stick.
Its possible , but not probable
1. Stop using those sticks and go with was working
2. Check your technique
Good luck

J-W

The OP was "disappointed" when he didn't receive help within 24 hours, so I can just imagine his dismay after 6 years.
And if Jamie2c hasn't figured it out in those 6 years, his hands are probably blackened stumps by now.

rhumbagirl

Painted sticks have more grip than non-painted bare wood sticks***. Consequently, bad hand technique (aka holding the sticks too tight) will exacerbate burns from that increased friction.

***Unless of course you take Noisy's recommendation on using hand lotion :oops: