Jam Session: 2 December 2010

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
That looked like fun! A less broken hat groove might have helped to get more substance into the jam. Man, those mounted toms are cannons, lol!

wsabol

Gold Member
Dude. sounds great. If I can offer some constructive criticism, you look like you're bored. If you make a angry/intense/epic face, you will play better. haha, sounds weird but its true; all the greats make epic faces. pretend like you're driving a Mack truck in an epic car chase, where youre mad at your parents and your girlfriend dumped you, then at the end, you wrestle a bear. Have fun! and put some more stuff in there!

ps. I kinda like your version of Sunshine. Its rockin.

BassDriver

Silver Member
Dude. sounds great. If I can offer some constructive criticism, you look like you're bored. If you make a angry/intense/epic face, you will play better. haha, sounds weird but its true; all the greats make epic faces. pretend like you're driving a Mack truck in an epic car chase, where youre mad at your parents and your girlfriend dumped you, then at the end, you wrestle a bear. Have fun! and put some more stuff in there!

ps. I kinda like your version of Sunshine. Its rockin.
Thanks, I know what you mean. I wasn't bored but maybe I need to loosen up and be in the moment, so I'm not so anxious, that way I'll enjoy myself more...and that will reflect in my drumming.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
...and also after that improv:

A rendition of Sunshine of Your Love...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdPClH3Y3Gs

I know it doesn't sound like Ginger Baker's tom-slamming way of playing the song.
Oh boy, are you in trouble. Do not, under any circumstances, let Larryace see this clip. Really, it's not worth it, lol!

I'm joking with you of course. Larry, as many others, like the original vibe to the song. My band does a straight beat version of this song too (see thread in this section). You were having fun there, & that's what it's all about. Don't worry, if Larry jumps on this, I'm with you brother! Whoohoo, rock on driver!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't know Andy the way HE plays the backbeat on Sunshine sounds fine to me.

Tease, taunt, tease, taunt, wink.

Lol, from now on anyone who plays "Sunshine" with a 2 and 4 backbeat has to go before the Mayor and beg forgiveness, and do an apology thread. Certain things should be banned:

Yellow Jackets
2 and 4 backbeat on Sunshine.

They're just rediculous.
I propose a ban on these 2 things, under penalty of GD.

The mayor, in all his righteous glory, should decide the proper course of action to deal with these blasphemors.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know Andy the way HE plays the backbeat on Sunshine sounds fine to me.

Tease, taunt, tease, taunt, wink.

Lol, from now on anyone who plays "Sunshine" with a 2 and 4 backbeat has to go before the Mayor and beg forgiveness, and do an apology thread. Certain things should be banned:

Yellow Jackets

They're just rediculous.

The mayor, in all his righteous glory, should decide the proper course of action to deal with these blasphemors.
Hahaha, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hamKl-su8PE No way, we're standing up for our right to completely crucify classics at will. Remember, there are no rules in music, & brownosing the Mayor won't help your cause.

Now where's that recording of "Smoke on the Water" with blast beats, triggers & a bagpipe player called Rupert!

P.S. Driver, this joking has nothing to do with your playing. You're doing just fine, it's just that your song choice (as mine) opened up a comedy contest rift between the old farts & the old farts!

Lex

Ginger Baker is influenced by African rythms, meaning the backbeat is on 1 and 3 with his songs mostly. It might be a nice thing to try out next time, since in 'western' music it is certainly unique. Nice playing, I certainly like the improv jam, maybe next time try to be a bit more 'outgoing' with your drumming. :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The Mayor is still trying to deal with the Knock On Wood issue. Your request has been tabled for now.

BassDriver

Silver Member
My band does a straight beat version of this song too (see thread in this section)
I saw a snippet of that vid.

Remember, there are no rules in music, & brownosing the Mayor won't help your cause.
Exactly, creativity is built on the past...it is definitely interesting to try a new "feel" to a song.

...but some things for the sake of good taste shouldn't be done (but I won't go complaining to someone to ban it)...like playing Money in 4/4 and not leaving a lot of space.

I should record the next jam and see what happens there...

Pollyanna

Platinum Member

Yellow Jackets

They're just rediculous.

Entirely correct. Sorry Andee and BeeDee but you guys are out of line. Further, bagpipers are never called Rupert ... usually Jock or Colin or Jimmy or Angus.

GeeDee, you need not worry about the soul classics thread - I sorted that one out in the time-honoured way ... I cut the baby in half.

Hey BeeDee, what's an old geezer like you doing hanging out with those fresh faced young kids? Be gentle with them - they are in their formative years ...

BassDriver

Silver Member
Hey BeeDee, what's an old geezer like you doing hanging out with those fresh faced young kids? Be gentle with them - they are in their formative years ...
:D ...when you don't know many people close to your own age to jam with, you settle with jamming with the old ones; I wouldn't have chosen Sunshine of Your Love, I don't have much of choice when it comes to song selection...it's my word against the word of guitarists and bassists who know how to play way more songs than myself...

...I was even jamming at another day with some musicians younger and less experienced (time-wise on instrument) than myself who asked me if I know any Iron Sabbath...no was my answer.

I should embrace the unpredictability of those jams, in that I might develop as a musician, and enjoy myself even more (especially since the other musicians are on a totally different musical wavelength than I).

I'll need to get used to those blues-/hard-rock songs that the other musicians that attend the jams tend to play...*sigh*

While, we're at it: What would be some classic blues-rock, and/or hard-rock songs that are nice to jam? (remember that kind of musicians that come to this regular jam are drummers, guitarists, bass gauitarists and a few singers (who are also instrumentalists), unfortunately no sax, keys or (experienced) accordion players *sigh*)

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
:D ...when you don't know many people close to your own age to jam with, you settle with jamming with the old ones; I wouldn't have chosen Sunshine of Your Love, I don't have much of choice when it comes to song selection...it's my word against the word of guitarists and bassists who know how to play way more songs than myself...
Fair nuff, we drummers are beholden to the tastes of tuned instrument players. It's a lot easier for us to wing it than for them.

...I was even jamming at another day with some musicians younger and less experienced (time-wise on instrument) than myself who asked me if I know any Iron Sabbath...no was my answer.
Iron Sabbath ... not Metallic Sabbath or Iron Purple? :)

I should embrace the unpredictability of those jams, in that I might develop as a musician, and enjoy myself even more (especially since the other musicians are on a totally different musical wavelength than I).
That makes sense. If you listen hard and work at being locked in with what the others are playing every moment then you'll usually pick up something.

I'll need to get used to those blues-/hard-rock songs that the other musicians that attend the jams tend to play...*sigh*

While, we're at it: What would be some classic blues-rock, and/or hard-rock songs that are nice to jam? (remember that kind of musicians that come to this regular jam are drummers, guitarists, bass guitarists and a few singers (who are also instrumentalists), unfortunately no sax, keys or (experienced) accordion players *sigh*)
Some classic rock that people I've played or jammed on:

Deep Purple - Sail Away
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Cream - White Room (you get a bit of 5/4 in that one)
Pink Floyd - Money
The Who - I Can See for Miles and I Can't Explain and Substitute
Hendrix - Foxy Lady, Purple Haze and Stone Free
The Stranglers - Peaches
The Kinks - Where Have All the Good Times Gone
The Doors - Love Me Two Times and Take It As It Comes
John Lennon - Cold Turkey
The Animals - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

BassDriver

Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDriver

Iron Sabbath ... not Metallic Sabbath or Iron Purple? :)
Haha, Black Sabbath I mean, I was having some kind of fusional confusion between the names Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden...thanks for pointing that out!