Jaldaboath Bloodstock set

PQleyR

Platinum Member
You may or may not be aware that in addition to my usual duties with Gloryhammer etc, I am now also playing for the 'Heraldic Templar Metal' band Jaldaboath, until recently only a one-man studio project.
We headlined the Thursday night at Bloodstock this year and a video of our whole set has just become available online. It's interesting for me because this band demands very different things of me as a drummer in terms of style, tempo, rhythmic vocabulary etc than what I have been used to lately, from clave-type rhythms to blastbeats.

Here's the whole set, but for your convenience here are the individual songs:

Roland the Farter

Bash the Bishop

The Bitch of Chiselhurst Caves

Hark the Herald

Raise the Crumhorns (one of my favourite bits of the set from a drumming point of view is at about 23:50)

Seek the Grail

Black Metal Beauty

Axe Wielding Nuns

...and if the song titles don't pique your interest, nothing will.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Anything that starts with a pseudo skirted guy wearing an oversize painted cardboard knights helmet gets my vote Ben :) Love the rampant looneyism that has underscored your playing career from Ben & Amy to date. Just fabulous! Nice playing too BTW :)

Anon La Ply

Renegade
You guys are a piece of work - you play what is essentially a traditional Celtic tune to a crowd of metalheads and they cheer their heads off. It's a gift :)

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Anything that starts with a pseudo skirted guy wearing an oversize painted cardboard knights helmet gets my vote Ben :) Love the rampant looneyism that has underscored your playing career from Ben & Amy to date. Just fabulous! Nice playing too BTW :)
Thanks. Yes, I am becoming the person to call if you want something silly doing.

You guys are a piece of work - you play what is essentially a traditional Celtic tune to a crowd of metalheads and they cheer their heads off. It's a gift :)
That's hardly a new phenomenon (see Eluveitie, Alestorm, Turisas etc), but I think the medieval music end of things is less commonly explored. But we are a piece of work, yes.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I'll remember that Ben. I'll call you when I want an alpine horn playing from the bottom of a bog, or tubular bells playing in the Quantocks.

Outstanding work as ever. I've never played to any crowd remotely that large. How different is it from playing a much smaller, indoors crowd?

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Thanks Duncan, you are very kind.

As far as the bigger crowds go...It's much easier in many ways, particularly when a substantial number of them are fans and know the words to the songs and get into it more. I get a lot of energy from bigger crowds. Plus you're making a bigger sound and the show is by its nature more epic. It's fun!

This one was a bit more nerve-wracking than usual as at the time this material was extremely new to me and I didn't want to mess it up! Weirdly, when the toughest song came along (Seek the Grail, 210bpm with 32 bars of blastbeat at the end!), I suddenly relaxed and it was all much easier from that point.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Getting over the 'tricky bit' is always a relief. It's amazing how much time we spend thinking about what we're going to be playing rather than what we're playing right now - especially the 'tricky bits'.

I'd love to play to a crowd like that.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Glutton for punishment that I am, I have since reorganised the setlist so that that song is first in the set.

You should! Just say yes to everything...especially if it involves dressing up.