Jack White's Drummers

boomstick

Silver Member
I was on a youtube kick and started checking out live clips from Jack White's various bands. I like how they all have a similar sound, but the different musicians bring a different vibe to the mix. This is especially noticeable with the drummers, since guitar and drums are the dominant instruments throughout. And even though the kits are very similar, in term of big drums and cymbals, each drummer has such a distinctive sound, yet each complement the music so well. I've pulled a few clips as examples. I thoroughly enjoyed all of these.

The White Stripes/Meg White
I really like Meg's playing in this one. So emotive and expressive. I can see why there is no White Stripes without her. The chemistry between these two is electric.

The Raconteurs/Patrick Keeler
Solid player with a nice swing/swagger. Reminds me of Stan Lynch (a huge compliment, imo).

Jack White/Carla Azar
Really impressed with this drummer. So powerful and precise, so energetic, knows when to hold it steady and when to wail, and really rockin that kit with trad grip.

The Dead Weather/Jack White
I revisited this one, the first video I saw with JW drumming. I remember thinking, "Is there anything this guy can't do?" I really like his playing style, and his unusual kit setup* was somewhat of an influence on mine.

Damn, put some reverb on that mic for the backup vocals on Steady as She Goes....WTF soundman!?!?!?!

*Charlie Hunter and his 'guitbass' entered the chat
Just to add another dynamic to the conversation.

i
Hey, thanks for picking up the slack for me! Actually, I really like his signature PDP kit. I think it would make a great gigging kit.

yeah it seems a lovely little portable setup, are you going to have the same angles as he does though? :p

im not a big jack white fan, so hearing any of the stuff from his band is new to me :)

Back