Jack, killing it @ 70

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Very nice....two surprises though. Playing matched grip and how high on the batter head the bass drum beater is. Thanks for the post

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I'll give an Andy-ish reply - I'm so unqualified to judge Jack's drumming it's not funny. Still, it does seem to me that he's retained his skills and energy. Musically, my favourite of his playing is still the Jazz Casual sessions with Charles Lloyd.

radman

Nice stuff ... good to see he is still going strong! Thx for the post!

Matched grip is not surprising for Jack, but bright / piercing high hats are for sure. He was always the king of dark cymbals (and drums for that matter). I wonder if that is more a function of the recording device? Or has he changed his sound a bit?

Anyone here like "Ahmed the Terrible"? lol ... I always loved that tune.

cheers,
radman

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Love this! I am really not knowledgable enough about jazz to comment, but it is beautiful to watch! I defy anyone to watch this and not love it, regardless of whether or not they know or love jazz.

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that he gave up trad grip a while back, saying it wasn't relevant for drumset any more.

CCdrummer

Very inspiring to watch. Great views of what he does with the fingers on his left hand as far as stroke.

Thanks for posting.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I had the privilege to see Jack early this year as part of last season's Jazz Series at Orchestra Hall in Detroit. He was fantastic.

Very inspiring to see him here with these cats, two of my favorite musicians of all-time.

Sjogras

Silver Member
Nice stuff ... good to see he is still going strong! Thx for the post!

Matched grip is not surprising for Jack, but bright / piercing high hats are for sure. He was always the king of dark cymbals (and drums for that matter). I wonder if that is more a function of the recording device? Or has he changed his sound a bit?
I wonder if he's playing his 3 point ride here, the ride sounds a bit brighter than my 3 point ride does, but the stick sound seems to match quite well. If that's the result of the camera being a few feet away, that's interesting, because the dark fundamental tone of the 3 point ride is quite dominant at a close distance.

The audio is quite sharp and with more dominant highs than lows, perhaps that's why the hi-hats are so loud in this recording.

Mike_L

"Eugene, Oregon"

HOW DID I MISS THIS? UGH. I was probably right down the street as this was going on.