I've tightened my drumming up a bit, so what do you think?

BattleArmor

Silver Member
No, but keep practicing, and work on technique, and stop flairing your arms to the side when you go to your hi hat. And try to keep time with you left foot while you do fills.

805Drummer

Gold Member
It's way better than anything I've ever heard from you. What did you record it with? sounds great.

Try to learn this, it's very achievable, and a blast to play. http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/mikeportnoybassdrum.html
Oooh, that video is sick. I can't wait to get home and try that (I'm on vacation, all I have is a practice pad).

By the way, for recording, I'm using the Flip Ultra (flipvideo.com). It is THE MOST AMAZING CAMERA EVER! I went to a skateboarding film camp over the summer, and was using my nice JVC Everio camcorder the whole time. The last day, I pulled out my Flip to get some footy, and my counselors were blown away!

This camera (only $150, super-thin, super-stylish, and super-light) can record lows, highs, mid, everything, without flaw. And without a light/flash, it takes unbelievably good low-light footage too. Buy it!

No, but keep practicing, and work on technique, and stop flairing your arms to the side when you go to your hi hat. And try to keep time with you left foot while you do fills.
Yeah, I've been trying to incorporate my open hi hat more into my drumming, but I'll try doing this. Maybe also crashing the two hi-hat's together in the middle of fills.

Drummer Karl

KARL MEMBER
You`re on a good way, keep practicing and having fun!
You definitly improved since the last time I listened to another clip of yours. You tend to make it very complex when starting off with a groove. For now you shouldn`t feel too convinced to play extra stuff here and there.
I can highly recommend to listen to Steve Jordan, even if it`s not your favourite style of music.
Steve just grooves very intensely, makes it happen and gives the music what it needs.

Anyway, this was enjoyable music! Keep this up!!

Karl

805Drummer

Gold Member
You`re on a good way, keep practicing and having fun!
You definitly improved since the last time I listened to another clip of yours. You tend to make it very complex when starting off with a groove. For now you shouldn`t feel too convinced to play extra stuff here and there.
I can highly recommend to listen to Steve Jordan, even if it`s not your favourite style of music.
Steve just grooves very intensely, makes it happen and gives the music what it needs.

Anyway, this was enjoyable music! Keep this up!!

Karl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR2uXO8a8QI&feature=related

I watched this, very inspirational, thanks for the advice!

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Keep workin at it!

Oh, and which model exactly of the Flip series? they have like 3 or 4 different ones now, all with different capacities too. Really impressed by the quality, I am also surprised no clipping despite how loud those drums/cymbals must be!

805Drummer

Gold Member
Keep workin at it!

Oh, and which model exactly of the Flip series? they have like 3 or 4 different ones now, all with different capacities too. Really impressed by the quality, I am also surprised no clipping despite how loud those drums/cymbals must be!
There's the Flip, the Flip Ultra, the Flip Mino, and the Flip Mino HD. I have the Flip Ultra, and it has an hour of built-in video memory. And yeah, even my Macbook Pro clips a bit, but the Flip, I'm telling you, is better than lots of prosumer camcorders. The audio is near PERFECT, and the video is subpar...but just imagine how it would look on the HD Flip.

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

I think you're trying to play too much. Just relax and play fewer notes - you don't keep anything going long enough to really get into a good feel and pocket. On the other hand, it's certainly improved tightness.

Your snare tone is somewhat lacking too, learn to change the way you strike the snare to open up a new palette of sounds from it. I'm talking rimshots, I'm talking ghost notes, I'm talking off-centre and on-centre hits at different volumes and heights. The snare should never just be 'hit' and should instead be played.

805Drummer

Gold Member
I think you're trying to play too much. Just relax and play fewer notes - you don't keep anything going long enough to really get into a good feel and pocket. On the other hand, it's certainly improved tightness.

Your snare tone is somewhat lacking too, learn to change the way you strike the snare to open up a new palette of sounds from it. I'm talking rimshots, I'm talking ghost notes, I'm talking off-centre and on-centre hits at different volumes and heights. The snare should never just be 'hit' and should instead be played.
Hmmm...interesting. A couple weeks ago, someone on this forum said to control my arm and hit the snare in the middle, and that's what I've been trying to do. But that leads to the dead, repetitive snare sound. I actually used to start my drum solos with a snare roll/triplet/solo type thing, and that would get the snare action going. I'll try to incorporate more into my playing though, I guess.

On a side note, I feel REALLY proud of myself. I finally learned how to play the verse of "The Rock Show" by Blink 182, with the open hi-hats and stuff. It sounds just like...please don't flame me...Travis Barker: http://www.ttabs.com/tabs.php?id=227286

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

It all comes down to a matter of control. To aim for the middle is the way to learn accuracy, but then comes altering the tone. Absolutely, aiming for the middle is the way to start, but you need to learn to use rimshots consistently (or at least to strike them consistently) and to be able vary your tone in other ways, like the position of the strike. I changed my grip for exactly this reason a few years ago and whilst I may be lacking in other areas of my playing, I like to thing my overall tone is good - even if other players are able to play more technically challenging/faster music.

BattleArmor

Silver Member
To the OP,

How long have you been playing?

Do you work out of any books? I ask this because I find that I have learned alot out of a few books that have benefited my all around playing, such as Jim Chapin's Advanced Technique for the Modern Drummer Book. If I were you, I would not waste time trying to be like TB and try harder trying to be yourself when playing. Develop you own personal sound.

Hope this helps

gusty

Platinum Member
To the OP,

How long have you been playing?

Do you work out of any books? I ask this because I find that I have learned alot out of a few books that have benefited my all around playing, such as Jim Chapin's Advanced Technique for the Modern Drummer Book. If I were you, I would not waste time trying to be like TB and try harder trying to be yourself when playing. Develop you own personal sound.

Hope this helps
Just cause he learnt one blink 182 song doesn't mean he's trying to be like travis barker...and if he likes the genre, TB isnt a bad idol

oops

Silver Member
I agree with MFB, try hanging out on one idea for a bit longer, rather than a bar of each groove. But it sounds cool.

I noticed you're running some sort of headphones (i assume they're what you use to play along with music). Do you ever play along with a click track or a metronome? When you played the Daft Punk tune there's a section just near the beginning where you rush the song and it sounds off.

But good, getting better!

805Drummer

Gold Member
I agree with MFB, try hanging out on one idea for a bit longer, rather than a bar of each groove. But it sounds cool.

I noticed you're running some sort of headphones (i assume they're what you use to play along with music). Do you ever play along with a click track or a metronome? When you played the Daft Punk tune there's a section just near the beginning where you rush the song and it sounds off.

But good, getting better!
That's interesting, I never thought about that, hanging onto the ideas for longer I'll try doing that.

And the headphones...I wasn't listening to a click track or song when playing this, but I had them on because this was my warm up before I played Daft Punk. And this is pretty pure playing, as I forgot the camera was on!

Every once and a while I play to an online metronome, but I'll be able to do so much easier once I get my Vic Firth headphones for Chanukah!

Plus...I HAVE MY FIRST (introductory) DRUM LESSON TODAY!

I'll let you know how it goes.