I've learned so much here.

lefty2

Platinum Member
This and one other forum that I participate in, are such a blessing. I've learned a lot from everyone here. I've recently learned how to play Dbl. and triple stroke rolls. Now I know that might seem odd, since I've been playing for 44 yrs. I've always thought bouncing the stick, wasn't really playing. I thought you had to actually play every note, or you really wasn't playing it. Kind of dumb huh? I think the open close technique, is what made me realize how to play these rolls. It was the triple that I learned first. I bounced the 2nd note and closed my fingers to play the 3 rd note. I've been able to use this technique on my ride also, playing 3 and 4 notes. Open, bounce, bounce, close. I've also been working on using my finger tips to play singles. like the metal guys, playing blast beats on their snare drums. Nothing is really moving but your fingers. Some of the jazz drummers I've watched have really influenced me also. Continuous release, swivel, heel toe, technique. These are all starting to become a reality also. Not to blow my own horn, but I've always been a good heal up player, playing quick Dbls. and all. I grew up playing, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, and stuff like that. Learning these techniques has really got excited, and inspired. I want to share my joy, and say thank you to all the posters on here. From the kids all the way up to the pros. By the way, some of the kids just blow my mind. Thank you all.

original.jpg

I notice you're the first one to comment in the "Your Playing" section a lot of the time (and always positive/encouaging)- those guys should be thanking you!
And yes , like the doctor said- you're welcome : P

If I can't say anything possitive, then I don't post anything. I will post something that might sound neg. if I think it can really help, but usually I don't have sound advice.

This and one other forum that I participate in, are such a blessing. I've learned a lot from everyone here. I've recently learned how to play Dbl. and triple stroke rolls. Now I know that might seem odd, since I've been playing for 44 yrs. I've always thought bouncing the stick, wasn't really playing. I thought you had to actually play every note, or you really wasn't playing it. Kind of dumb huh? I think the open close technique, is what made me realize how to play these rolls. It was the triple that I learned first. I bounced the 2nd note and closed my fingers to play the 3 rd note. I've been able to use this technique on my ride also, playing 3 and 4 notes. Open, bounce, bounce, close. I've also been working on using my finger tips to play singles. like the metal guys, playing blast beats on their snare drums. Nothing is really moving but your fingers. Some of the jazz drummers I've watched have really influenced me also. Continuous release, swivel, heel toe, technique. These are all starting to become a reality also. Not to blow my own horn, but I've always been a good heal up player, playing quick Dbls. and all. I grew up playing, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, and stuff like that. Learning these techniques has really got excited, and inspired. I want to share my joy, and say thank you to all the posters on here. From the kids all the way up to the pros. By the way, some of the kids just blow my mind. Thank you all.

+1

Me too!

I think we don't do enough to thank the other members for their awesome contributions...

Great forum!

Every once in a while we get one of these "group hug" threads rolling.

It reminds me how blessed we are to have a forum like this. I have learned so much here since I joined in 2008.

A big thanks to the mods who keep this thing going...and the members who make it what it is. Except Caddy...(Right, Larry?!)

Great thread. And thanks for the feedback you leave!

But WaitForItDrummer couldn't have said it any better... for me that is.

I notice you're the first one to comment in the "Your Playing" section a lot of the time (and always positive/encouaging)- those guys should be thanking you!

^^^ This!

And what a lovely first thread to open. Warm and fuzzy here!

I've learn't much here too. Just how wrong I was, & just how right I was. Having access to global opinion/experience was a totally new thing to me compared to back in the day. Having that collective wisdom, & also occasional support structure, is so valuable it's untrue. I don't think it's taking it too far if I say my return to drumming may not have lasted if it were not for this forum.

Now here's the big one - I doubt Guru Drums would exist in it's present form without this forum & the wonderful selection of members here!

BTW Lefty, you're an excellent contributor here of the highest order. I, for one, feel blessed to have you here :)

I've been here for a month and this forum is one of the only music forums I've actually stayed on, and one I hope to stay on in the future.

BTW Lefty, you're an excellent contributor here of the highest order. I, for one, feel blessed to have you here :)[/QUOTE]

Wow thanks! that's like the ultimate compliment. I often feel I don't have much to offer. I struggle to put into words, things that I know or play on my drums. I've skated around some of the fundamentals (being self taught) for over 40 yr. I'm so stoked about finally learning Dbl. and Trip. stroke rolls. I'm exposed to a lot of good musicianship here, and it's rubbing off on me.

I wouldn't have the beautiful Guru kit set up just a few feet away from me as I type if I hadn't met Andy through DW!

I've enjoyed the chance to make friends with other drummers. In the past all of my friends played other instruments, since they were the people I made music with. I never got to know other drummers well so that's been really fun and informative.

I've learned a lot here and on some other forums too.

The trade-off is that they fueled the flames of my G.A.S.

LOL

I've learned a lot here and on some other forums too.

The trade-off is that they fueled the flames of my G.A.S.

LOL

That is so true. I did without for so long, I feel like I owe myself new gear more often now.

This forum has some really amazing and accomplished drummers that I often feel my advice to be not worthy! However I have come to realize I do have things to offer, especially newer drummers. But I get 100 times what I give. So thanks for that!

+1 for Drummerworld.
As a relative newb on the cans, I find time spent on this forum can be of value.
Whether one agrees or disagrees with various opinions or viewpoints is not so important. It's grist for the mental mill regardless.
My learning curve has been steepened by much of the productive thought shared here, and this I appreciate.
Most importantly though, it's the culture, or atmosphere you guys/gals create that can be so refreshing when callousness and thuggery can be a challenge to dodge sometimes in this "Age of Information".
Thanks.

I have learned more on this sit than anywhere else. I am able to actually carry on an intelligent conversation with other musicians. And forget it when it comes time to talk to another drummer... you can't shut me up.

Count me in too. I can't talk about drumming to anyone else in my life, no one really cares about it like I do, so I come here to vent my spleen. Hence 13 friggin thousand posts. I think those around me appreciate it, that I don't drone on and on about this and that.

It's hard to believe I've made actual international friendships from a drum forum that I just stopped in on a lark. The drumming community here is literally the best on earth.

The internet said so lol.

I think it's says something when just about every time I have entered a drum related query into google, a DW hit is front and centre.

For me, this site has helped rekindle my interest in drumming. I now want to play more, I want to buy new gear, I want to learn new things and I want to get better. I will also very likely need a new job soon...it is all very distracting.

Back