I've given up the search. I've ordered a 1-off Ludwig tom

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Here's what I don't understand. You could have ordered the large gold keystone badge, at least according to the configurator spreadsheet that was still in use when you ordered.

It wouldn't have a serial number, but it would otherwise look like the badge your existing drums have.

My friend orders the large keystone badges because his first Ludwig set had them. Sentimental, I guess.

View attachment 90176
Isn't the GC Cast Brass Badge the one that's used on current ludwigs?

this is slightly related to the topic, maybe could be its own thread, but it's interesting to me it's taking that long for them to make your drum. are they just making that many other drums? It's amazing that they can just keep pumping out drums and people buy them. I am constantly looking just for fun and there's just so many sets for sale all over. who buys them?

also, do most larger drum companies mass produced several lines of kits or does say a store like Sweetwater order, for example, 4 classic maple sets directly from Ludwig?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
this is slightly related to the topic, maybe could be its own thread, but it's interesting to me it's taking that long for them to make your drum. are they just making that many other drums?
With a custom one-off, I'm basically getting "in line" for an order, and I'm sure there are many orders in front of me. Depending on the factory, the sort of have to temporarily halt production for this one-off. It just takes time. Plus, I ordered on Christmas Eve, so who knows? They may have shut down for two weeks for Christmas.

It's amazing that they can just keep pumping out drums and people buy them. I am constantly looking just for fun and there's just so many sets for sale all over. who buys them?
Lots of people apparently. I think a lot of people buy drums and don't post their story online. I am NOT one of those people. :)

There are a lot of used drum sets on the market now too. I just assume, lots of players upgrade to newer kits more than I do.

also, do most larger drum companies mass produced several lines of kits or does say a store like Sweetwater order, for example, 4 classic maple sets directly from Ludwig?
My assumption is that different companies have different relationships with stores. I would assume that with a place like Ludwig, they probably receive orders directly from stores/dealers. Ludwig probably then charges the store about 40% of list and then the store charges about 60% of list. I know of a few other drum companies that work this way. Some higher-end drum stores will only keep a handful of sets in stock so you can try them out, then you just order exactly what you want. You are more than welcome to buy off the floor if you wish as well.

Other instrument brands are not so easy to work with. A very large guitar company that shall remain nameless was contacted by a friend of mine who was looking into opening a guitar store who wanted to deal with some of their higher-end guitars. The guitar company would not play ball because this company makes all dealers/stores order x-amount of their cheap guitars in order to get just one or two of their higher-end models. I'm pretty sure that EVERY local music store within an hour drive of here has stopped carrying their guitars because they didn't want to order like 50 cheap guitars just to get one of the USA-made ones.

toonamike

Isn't the GC Cast Brass Badge the one that's used on current ludwigs?
Yeah. I didn't bold that text. It's bold because that's the default badge. You should have ordered LGK large gold keystone if you want a close match (no serial number) to your kit.

In regards to your wait, yes, that is fairly normal for Ludwig. As you mentioned in an previous post, you have your spot in line.

I ordered a 3.5 x 13" piccolo in copper rose mist with a 110th anniversary badge. The order was placed June 28, 2019. I got the drum October 10, 2019. Its delivery estimate slipped two times.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Yeah. I didn't bold that text. It's bold because that's the default badge. You should have ordered LGK large gold keystone if you want a close match (no serial number) to your kit.

In regards to your wait, yes, that is fairly normal for Ludwig. As you mentioned in an previous post, you have your spot in line.

I ordered a 3.5 x 13" piccolo in copper rose mist with a 110th anniversary badge. The order was placed June 28, 2019. I got the drum October 10, 2019. Its delivery estimate slipped two times.
If I don't hear anything by next Tuesday, I'm thinking of emailing the dealer I bought it through to see if he's heard anything.

BTW, my next kit will be a Ludwig 24, 13, 16, 18 in the copper rose mist. That finish is awesome.

BTW, my next kit will be a Ludwig 24, 13, 16, 18 in the copper rose mist. That finish is awesome.
thanks for all your thoughts and insight above! interesting to hear about that guitar company.

and just between the two of you that's 3 orders alone- guess it makes sense Ludwig is so busy :). is it cheaper to order a kit directly through them than it would be to get one that's in stock from a retailer (given it's the exact same kit)?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
is it cheaper to order a kit directly through them than it would be to get one that's in stock from a retailer (given it's the exact same kit)?
It's cheaper to order Ludwig Classic Maples through Long Island Drum Company than anywhere unless you are buying used...even compared with sets that are already in stock at other places (unless they are on closeout because it's discontinued or something). I'd just assume order exactly what I want from Dennis as opposed to looking settling for whatever is in stock somewhere. This probably doesn't help my personal carbon footprint, but why settle?

toonamike

My friend was thinking about ordering a copper rose mist set. Columbus Percussion told him that Ludwig was having trouble with the wrap and that it was in limited supply.

However, it's still on the Ludwig site. Hopefully it's just a rumor.