It's Official - Vinnie no longer with Ludwig

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I remember watching Vinnie do his Ludwig promo and thought to myself, He seems as excited to play Ludwig as someone eating ashes out of an ash tray. I'm not surprised he's left them. Not to say Ludwig doesn't make great drums. It just didn't seem Vinnie was too enthralled to be with them.
If that was the case, why would he bother going with Ludwig in the first place? He could go with anyone and get a custom whatever he wanted kit.

I do know what you mean though, he was kinda like that in the Paiste vids. Especially the one where he is introduced and is taking to a small group.
Maybe he's just not comfortable doing "gear talk".

Bermuda did say before (when it was still speculation) that the reason he left was not about the sound of the drums.
My thought for leaving was corporate higher ups that got in the way of what he needed to be done for him over a period of time.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Bermuda did say before (when it was still speculation) that the reason he left was not about the sound of the drums.
My thought for leaving was corporate higher ups that got in the way of what he needed to be done for him over a period of time.

That's my thought, too, Karl. I can't help but wonder if Kevin's resignation is due to similar issues. I remember reading in his bio on Ludwig's site that the staff was so small they sometimes had trouble getting everything done. He didn't word it that way, but that's what I took from it. Sounded like a bare-bones operation for such a famous brand name, but I guess that's often the reality.

gretsch-o-rama

That's my thought, too, Karl. I can't help but wonder if Kevin's resignation is due to similar issues. I remember reading in his bio on Ludwig's site that the staff was so small they sometimes had trouble getting everything done. He didn't word it that way, but that's what I took from it. Sounded like a bare-bones operation for such a famous brand name, but I guess that's often the reality.
Monroe, NC is a very small town. I imagine skilled laborers are hard to find for building drums.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Kevin Packard is now with Pearl drums. He posted it 3 hours ago on FB.
Good for him. I hope it goes great for him, he's a really nice guy.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Assuming the kennedy center honors show im watching now is live, vinnie is on stage now doing a tribute to herbie hanckock playing a gretsch set with logo proudly displayed on the bass drum.

gmiller598

Assuming the kennedy center honors show im watching now is live, vinnie is on stage now doing a tribute to herbie hanckock playing a gretsch set with logo proudly displayed on the bass drum.
Its not live but I believe it was recorded about 3 weeks ago.

Larry Copcar

Monroe, NC is a very small town. I imagine skilled laborers are hard to find for building drums.
I wonder what's with Ludwig these days. If they were this asleep at the snare in 1964, Ringo would have played Rogers on The Ed Sullivan Show. I heard that they jerked Vinnie around and reneged on their initial deal with him. So he split.
And when The Rascals played their Once Upon A Dream show this year some genius at Ludwig refused Dino Danelli a Vistalite set. He actually had to buy the one he used on the tour. Something about " demographics. " The guy probably wasn't even born when Dino made Champagne Sparkle Ludwigs famous. And for sure, he's not a drummer. Probably some marketing toad from Duke University.