It's official - people don't want you to make a rhythm

3cd8a33a.png

It's true people don't want us to make rhythms, which is why the biggest selling drum company is Roland. I remember moving into a black of flats and I'd only just started tuning the mounted tom (quietly) on an acoustic kit when someone stormed down from upstairs complaining.

But people programming up electronic music on their PCs with headphones won't attract any complaints.

So I figure that keeping kids from cutting themselves to shreds on opened tin cans is not a problem.

So I figure that keeping kids from cutting themselves to shreds on opened tin cans is not a problem.

Kids young enough not to know the dangers of tin cans should not be handling opened tin cans in the first place without parental supervision. This is the fault of the parents, not the children.

What's next?

We may as well just ban knives, hammers, scissors, axes, basically any implement that could be mis-used or lead to an accidental injury. Because our cotton-wool wrapping will never be thick enough!

We live in a world where it's deemed ok to advertise extremely violent video games glorifying war, but an advert showing someone having some home-made music/drum related fun is quashed on H&S grounds.

World gone mad.

Yeah
Fake is good, reality is bad for you.
Stay safely in the couch but order our products on line.

As long as there is taxpayers money available to keep this kind of watchdog institutions going, there is hope for a country :)

We may as well just ban knives, hammers, scissors, axes, basically any implement that could be mis-used or lead to an accidental injury. Because our cotton-wool wrapping will never be thick enough!

And yet guns are exempted from this (in some countries at least.)

Look for the $ behind the idiot excuse...that's where you will find the cause...and usually with real moral problems...hence the obfuscation.

Commonly..."Think of the children..."..lots of gut reaction and fear created if you think the reasoning is poor and want to speak up..."How can you not think of the children!!"

Abuse of 'error on the side of caution' and the common good.

It is a hook tied into our fear of mortality...denial that we and our children are mortal and WILL die one day...well understood and utilized by successful business people.

Absolutely mental. Another by product of the health and safety absession is the spread of the "Stupid gene" Before H and S really stupid people would be naturally weeded out of society. Survival of the fittest. With health and safety the stupid gene is spread, meaning more stupid people doing stupid things, and living to tell the tale. Hence the people coming up with these decisions. Stupid.

If I ran a company in easily the most litigious nation in the world I would not leave myself open to that kind of risk. Everyone is happy to be gung ho with someone else's money.

To test our commitment to this "vital" cause let's do a thought experiment.

For the sake of of drummer solidarity we drummers each decide to pay $10 per week tax towards a legal slush fund.

In this pretend-scenario, this slush fund can pay for lawsuits when accidents happen to young drummers playing with unsafe gear and allow companies to produce anything and advertise any drum-related products without fear of being sued.

Who's in? Not me lol

Better to let your building burn down than to try to be a hero.

http://metro.co.uk/2008/03/10/extinguishers-banned-as-a-fire-safety-hazard-32065/

In fairness to this (I'm actually a professional firefighter), the extinguisher has limited capability and people may put themselves at undue risk without any hope of putting the fire out.

However, I have also attended a number of incidents that were called in as house fires but as the residents were able to get to the fire before it took hold and successfully extinguish it with a portable (usually dry chemical powder) extinguisher, the benefits certainly outweigh the risks. I would much rather ventilate a property that has nothing but a bit of smoke damage and scorch marks, than drag a hose in and try to put it out before the roof collapses. It's worth looking up 'flashover demonstration' on Youtube to see just how quickly fire takes hold in modern furnishings.

You have the best job in the world.
My next door neighbor's house burned down and I thought I could help put it out with their hose because it looked small from outside the window, but inside it was pretty big. The old man and his dog who wouldn't leave his side didn't make it.
My firefighter friend said it wouldn't have done any good to use the garden hose, but it also wouldn't hurt anything. I was worried about doing something wrong and causing smoke or some such thing an untrained person might do.

So I suppose they have a bit of a point in not wanting people to run into fires, nevertheless, I have three extinguishers in my house.

Absolutely mental. Another by product of the health and safety absession is the spread of the "Stupid gene" Before H and S really stupid people would be naturally weeded out of society. Survival of the fittest. With health and safety the stupid gene is spread, meaning more stupid people doing stupid things, and living to tell the tale. Hence the people coming up with these decisions. Stupid.

This is kind of brilliant.

Back