It's official,,Gregg Bissonette leaves Mapex

tamadrm

Platinum Member
This came up a little while ago,but,it's official.Mapex has said so on their wedpage,and Gregg published this on his website.He's leaving Mapex for....................Dixon.Let the fun begin!:) http://greggbissonette.com/.Yes Mapex fans......it's so.

Steve B

There's probably someone reading this who has just blown a gasket. Well, blew a gasket a few weeks ago.

It's sometimes better being a bigger fish in a smaller pond! Dixon have been trying to push their drums up market for some time - maybe they will succeed. Good luck to them, more companies making good drums is a win-win for the consumer and Bissonette brings quite a lot of credibility - amongst drumming circles at least.

Steve, he goes to the top of the list, & gets to bring out his own signature drum. He pressed the refresh button :)

Personally Andy,I think it's a good move.Dixon has been turning out some nice stuff lately,and has partnered with Brady on some if not all of their snare drums.Their NAMM both had some nice stuff this year as well.

I agree Duncan.He's now the biggest fish in the Dixon pond,kind of like Gene Krupa was with Slingerland.Even Buddy,was second fiddle to Krupa.

That "person" been revativley ..calm these days.New meds maybe?

Steve B

Last edited:
Personally Andy,I think it's a good move.Dixon has been turning out some nice stuff lately,and has partnered with Brady on some if not all of their snare drums.Their NAMM both had some noce stuff this year as well.
Steve B
I agree with it being a good move Steve, although it's likely to be unpopular in certain parts of Canada ;)

The way some of these endorsements pan out makes me wonder what goes on behind the scenes. I bet the actual drums are just one small piece of the pie.

Why would you leave a company that's supported you for years? Why did vinnie leave ludwig after 5 minutes?

Maybe it's $$$ talking.

I agree with it being a good move Steve, although it's likely to be unpopular in certain parts of Canada ;)

LOL...bet the ranch on that my friend,especially in certain parts of Ontario.:)This just may...start a exodus,if things work out,for Gregg,which I have to doubt,they will.

Steve B

The way some of these endorsements pan out makes me wonder what goes on behind the scenes. I bet the actual drums are just one small piece of the pie.

Why would you leave a company that's supported you for years? Why did vinnie leave ludwig after 5 minutes?

Maybe it's $$$ talking.

It's rare that artists are actively paid to work with companies in this way - although in the case of smaller companies like Dixon, it's not without precedent. It's probably more to do with being a big-line endorser with a smaller company. They probably offered him much better tour support than other companies simply because they are eager to please him - as opposed to companies that have other big drummers on their books.

LOL just noticed his signature kit is going to North American Maple. Maybe he was mad mapex discontinued the Orion series. I sure am! The one set other than deep forest I have not heard in person! They're all like unicorns!

Yeah, we've been discussing this one:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115372

I don't know, this one doesn't make much sense. How much tour support can Dixon really offer? How many clinics can Dixon support given they don't have a ton of dealers?
Just seems odd.

Well, I love Bissonette's playing and he seems like a genuinely great person, but what has he done lately that says he's out touring? I think the last documented thing was when he played for the re-virtualized ELO with his brother on bass, and that tour cancelled due to lack of ticket sales. It would be awesome to see him out in the public eye more, but I haven't heard of any big names he's going out with. Maybe I'm wrong?

Well, I love Bissonette's playing and he seems like a genuinely great person, but what has he done lately that says he's out touring? I think the last documented thing was when he played for the re-virtualized ELO with his brother on bass, and that tour cancelled due to lack of ticket sales. It would be awesome to see him out in the public eye more, but I haven't heard of any big names he's going out with. Maybe I'm wrong?

He been touring with the RIngo All Star band every year for quite a while now.

Maybe it's $$$ talking.

Vinny left Ludwig,because of two words...artist relations.,period.He has since,signed on with an L.A. based custom drum builder.Just check his website.Those small companies,are usually just keeping their heads above water,so cash has NOTHING to do with it.and these days,it NEVER does,People continue to grossly over estimate the financial resources of musical instrument manufacturers,who count every dime they make.

Steve B

Vinny left Ludwig,because of two words...artist relations.,period.He has since,signed on with an L.A. based custom drum builder.Just check his website.Those small companies,are usually just keeping their heads above water,so cash has NOTHING to do with it.and these days,it NEVER does,People continue to grossly over estimate the financial resources of musical instrument manufacturers,who count every dime they make.

Steve B

Maybe he didn't like the ludwigs.

it is a nice day isnt it

Last edited:
Maybe he didn't like the ludwigs.

Unlikely... Pretty sure he would have played them before agreeing to a deal. I have no personal knowledge but common sense would certainly support Tamadrm's comments on the matter.

As for Bissonette, what else could he accomplish with Mapex? Some guys like to be a part of the process and Dixon gives him a much more open platform to work on ideas and development signature stuff.

Back