It's just one of those days....

(Future)DWdrummer

.... when I suck (more than usual) at playing the drums.

My sticks keep slipping. I feel like I have the techniqe of a 3rd grader. And my hands aren't moving smoothely from groove to groove like they usually do.

Please tell me I'm not the only one here who has the occassional 'sucky' day when you jump on your kit.

Any advice on what to do when you experience a pretty crappy drumming day?

porter

Platinum Member
.... when I suck (more than usual) at playing the drums.

My sticks keep slipping. I feel like I have the techniqe of a 3rd grader. And my hands aren't moving smoothely from groove to groove like they usually do.

Please tell me I'm not the only one here who has the occassional 'sucky' day when you jump on your kit.

No, it happens to all of us. Generally I will go do something else because I likely will not do anything productive in a rut like that. Mine come and go for a few days at a time. Often, I will go play marimba or compose something (or do homework... lol).

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Everyone has sucky drum days. If you have issues with hand technique then it could be a good idea to get lessons before any inefficient movements become hard wired.

Magenta

Platinum Member
I posted a similar thing a few weeks ago. It turned out I wasn't the only one it happens to, which was good to know.

As a control freak, I'd really like to be able to DO something to get myself out of the rut, but i just have to wait till it goes away.

I feel your pain.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Everyone has sucky drum days. If you have issues with hand technique then it could be a good idea to get lessons before any inefficient movements become hard wired.
Hey - speak for yourself, sister ;)

Nah, I'm kidding. When it happens to me, I take a break and count my blessings that I can actually make money doing this. But there are days when you have to go out and play, and regardless of how I feel, I have to be at a hundred percent and make no excuses. I think after a while once you've been in enough of those situations, the ratio of good to bad days definitely goes up!

Don't stop believin' ;)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
.... when I suck (more than usual) at playing the drums..
Buy yourself some lollipops and suck them instead...

Duct tape is wonderful invention and almost an essential item for drummers, use a little elbow grease for the smoothness...

Please tell me I'm not the only one here who has the occassional 'sucky' day when you jump on your kit..
You're not the only one... there, I said it, feeling better?

Go drawning some cartoons or something... or go to the toilet...

bigiainw

Gold Member
I'm sure the Gadd's and Wackerman's of this world have days when they feel they don't reach their true potential. Its all part of the learning and developing process.