It's in our DNA

One Up One Down

Literally!

A large international team of researchers has found 69 unique genetic variants linked to the ability to keep time to a beat.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Awesome so nature and nurture. Interesting link between the VRK2 variants and time keeping but also depression and mental illness.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
It’s a gene that has alternate splicing that explains variants. Definitely links with mental illness that likely explains forum behaviors - LOL that’s a joke. I’d like to see how the genes associate with time keeping. I think it’s a cell signaling kinase so the real culprit could be downstream. https://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=VRK2#summaries

C. Dave Run

Silver Member
I have been counting and keeping time with just about everything that repeats for my whole entire life, drum related or not. I'm also harbouring some form of OCD that needs counting and repetition. I suppose my beat gene is haywire.

Whenever I play drums without others, I need a click of sorts. I can play without one but prefer not to. It almost causes mental anguish to not use a click when I know it is available.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
1655558230674.png

And exposure to music and dance and musical education. I guess it's not surprising that there may be some genetic basis for talent, but talent isn't everything. It's barely anything compared to all the other things that going into making someone a capable musician.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about anyone's actual musical abilities or potential from this.

One Up One Down

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member
I have been counting and keeping time with just about everything that repeats for my whole entire life, drum related or not. I'm also harbouring some form of OCD that needs counting and repetition. I suppose my beat gene is haywire.

Whenever I play drums without others, I need a click of sorts. I can play without one but prefer not to. It almost causes mental anguish to not use a click when I know it is available.
My route into drumming was my love of and compulsion with keeping time with music. Drumming's recent to me - but that is lifelong.

Poleaux

As Roger Taylor of Queen says:

Hey, hey, hey, hey, it was the DNA

Hey, hey, hey, hey, that made me this way