It's Beyond True...

Lovetadraw

I had my first practice set with a band where the mix was pretty thick and what a lot of people say about, "that overtone will disappear in the mix, don't worry about it" is very true. I knew it would happen but I'm surprised to the extent that it did!

Also, I'm in a band now. I'm very happy, they loved me and went on about what they loved about me. They loved the way my kit sounded, they were "blown away by [my] timing", and i just feel wonderful.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Cool.

That's the way it should be.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
And just think if the overtones were not apparent to you, a mere inches away from the kit, imagine how much of your drum tone dissapears to anybody several feet away. That is why the attack of a drum is the most important factor in tuning IMO, everything else gets washed out in the mix.

Congrats on the new band. Have fun!

Lovetadraw

And just think if the overtones were not apparent to you, a mere inches away from the kit, imagine how much of your drum tone dissapears to anybody several feet away. That is why the attack of a drum is the most important factor in tuning IMO, everything else gets washed out in the mix.

Congrats on the new band. Have fun!

Yeah, the guy in charge of the equipment wants to get at least some cheap mics and will have his "house practice" set for me so I don't have to stuff my brother's sedan again.

The bass drum was pretty much just a click if it wasn't aimed at you. The bassist was in front of me so he loved feeling the pulse, haha go figure.

Thanks for the well wishes! ^__^

Ian Ballard

Silver Member
This is why I've always preferred birch drums over maple. The attack qualities of birch always seems to cut through better and the lack of thick midrange doesn't interfere with guitars on recordings (hence the buzz about birch being "EQ'ed"). Maple drums can sound absolutely wonderful sitting by yourself, playing a well-tuned kit. Add a 100w Marshall "on 11" and an 300W SVT bass cab and a singer going full-tilt into the PA and they just don't cut it for me.... to my ears anyway.

Lovetadraw

That's interesting to note. I have no idea what PDP EZs were made of, which is what I have. Not gorgeous sounding but when I get them tuned well they sound pretty good.

I only used a 4 piece as apposed to my full 6 piece and I have to say, the 10" and 13" toms are a nice spread.

ShadoWReX

Congrats LTD..
new projects/groups are always exciting!
With so many different woods being used, it would be interesting to see what others feel about overtones & projections.