It's almost like the White Stripes!

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Well, I thought it might go this far, and it has.

The keyboardist in this power metal group I'm in and myself have been buds for a while. We click, and we're both equally good at improv, which is a lot of fun when we get to it.

Long story short: Guitarist. I'm sure that's enough said.

Anyway, I brought up the idea of doing a sort of duet thing, almost like drum n' bass, but more like drum n' keys. I've worked out ways for this to be feasible, especially live, and he seemed interested. In terms of musical structure and sound, it's like a newborn: I don't know where it could go from here.

Anyway, has anyone ever played in such a cut-down manner as this?

My main group is much like this. I play drums and sing and my friend plays piano and sings, sort of like the Dresden Dolls, except she's a soprano and I sing too. We're debating on adding a guitar player. The sound is pretty full at the moment, I have to overplay a little to fill the space but she's an amazing pianist and fills up her share of space.

It's the concept more than the musical style that led us to this. We wanted to attempt to do a Steampunk band, everyone else that has attempted this has gone for some ambient sci-fi nonsense. We tried playing Ragtime piano with punk beats instead, it's been a lot of fun. Finishing a demo this weekend then we hope to start gigging soon.

Last edited:
I was in a band once where it was just the guitar player/singer and myself. We went on like that for 4 years. It was great. And it was a great education in being very careful about everything I played since no part of me was getting buried under a bass player or 2nd guitar player. When we recorded, the guitar player would overdub a bass line though, just to reinforce the bottom end, and at a couple points, we used a couple different bass players help us out with shows, but those were mostly done as a two-piece as well.

Now I'm in a band where it's just me a singer and keys & sequencing. I'm really loving this because for the first time, I'm playing everything to a click, and similar to the band I was just describing, the music itself is pretty sparse, so my parts are going to stick out like a sore thumb if I don't pick them right.

Still hankering to get back into a trad. rock band though. It's amazing how CL is full of drummers looking, and not many drummers wanted. Is it like that everywhere these days?

I spent a year playing (music) with a guitarist/singer in a rocking metal duo when I was about 18, but we always planned to add bass. I can't remember much about it other than it was fun, and we played one gig, borrowing a bassist friend.

Hope it works out!

It's amazing how CL is full of drummers looking, and not many drummers wanted. Is it like that everywhere these days?

it is where i live! it seems like every day there's a new "drummer available" ad on craigslist, and it's often some guy with a whole lot of professional experience. i'm glad i don't drum for a living!

back on topic. has anyone ever heard of the dresden dolls from boston? that band is just a drummer (he's good!) and a female piano player/singer. they are very energetic and somehow they make it work.

there's another local band here called "dish" that i'm a big fan of. they consist of a guitarist/singer and a drummer who plays a kit entirely consisting of junk and found objects. they are surprisingly good!

Ya I'm from Boston, the Dresden Dolls are pretty big here. I'd also recommend looking at the Black Keys.

It's actually funny, after DD left Boston and such there were a good number of 2-piece bands that popped up here almost overnight! There's still a few that are doing well.

I have, just for fun. I found it useful in becomeing creative as there is a lot of room for inspiration. It is a great way to practice things you may have not bothered to before.
Lots of fun.

I find duo's & trio's, but especially duo's very interesting. Plenty of good music comes with minimum means.

The sound is pretty full at the moment, I have to overplay a little to fill the space but she's an amazing pianist and fills up her share of space.

When in complements the music, it is NEVER overplaying. It starts to become overplaying when it becomes overplaying, and not a moment sooner. :)

For the last year my bass playing wife and I have been jamming. We do some covers that sound good with two people, and all of our original stuff works well with just two people. She on occasion uses a distortion pedal on her bass and it helps hide the fact we have only two people when we do Ramones and Black Sabbath songs.

i have done this before its good, in addition my old 3 piece band drums guitar bass had a gig booked that the bassist couldnt make. we didnt practice but just improv-ed out set list WS style with just me and my guitarist and it was possibly that bands best performance we ever had. thats not saying the bassist was band its just the freedom as well as the focus to keep it tight meant we had a great gig.

I play some duo stuff with a DJ. however I'm sure this is not quite the same.

When in complements the music, it is NEVER overplaying. It starts to become overplaying when it becomes overplaying, and not a moment sooner. :)

Of course, It's just a lot busier than I would normally play in such a situation. It's like playing in church again but I'm 1/2 of the music here and not just a metronome. I'm starting to get used to it but It's been a bit of learning experience.

Andy, got one tune finished up tonight, It's supposed to be mixed by Tuesday. I'll start up a myspace and post the link.

there is a band here in portland oregon called sallo..its a piano drum duo and they are really cool..i think the pianist used to play for ozzy...its good melodramatic faux classical chamber with hints of rock

i have dj'd with a drummer...biggest fun of my life!it allowed me to mix more things like guitar or bass breaks,sound effects and textures.sounded like a 3 piece band!

Back