It's All in the Wrists, Bonham Fans!

timmdrum

Silver Member
This is interesting. Being a big fan of Bonham I had always thought how great it would be if Led Zeppelin could do a reunion with Jason Bonham on drums.
Unless you meant new studio material, they already did do this at the 2007 Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert (Bo touched on this earlier in the thread), and released it as a DVD/CD package called Celebration Day. I think he did as fine a job as anyone. 🤷‍♂️

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration_Day_(film)

And now Toto with Shannon Larkin
That would be WEIRD! :LOL: (You meant Shannon Forrest. (y) )

specgrade

Unless you meant new studio material, they already did do this at the 2007 Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert (Bo touched on this earlier in the thread), and released it as a DVD/CD package called Celebration Day. I think he did as fine a job as anyone. 🤷‍♂️

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration_Day_(film)

That would be WEIRD! :LOL: (You meant Shannon Forrest. (y) )
Oh Lord, I was thinking the same thing. LARKIN?? God Smack Larkin?? OKAY...maybe...not really...but.....

Thanks for the clarification!

Hewitt2

It's when you listen to other drummers playing Led Zeppelin numbers that you realise Bonham was completely irreplaceable. Michael Lee did a good job with Page and Plant in the 90s, Steve Gorman with Black Crows and Jimmy Page, Chris Blackwell playing the Zeppelin covers with Plant in the 80s, Chad Smith playing Achillies Last Stand or any of the professionals at the Bonzo Bash. Whilst they can play his fills, they nearly always lack the feel, finnese and groove that he had and get carried away trying to be "Bonham". Plant was right call time on Zeppelin.
Totally agree. Denny Carmassi's playing on the Coverdale/Page album was as close to a Bonham feel as you can get....

Last edited:

someguy01

This little girl does Bonham really well and she also makes me want to throw my drums into the Grand Canyon and take up the ukulele.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Like all his rock contemporaries, Bonham loved the jazz guys. I would argue his number #1 influence was probably Joe Morello, because Morello's playing is all over Bonham, especially in his solos.