Its a new age.

T

The Old Hyde

Last night at band practice, my guitar player got a text from his teenage daughter who was upstairs, requesting a Green Day song we do. I thought that was excellent. So funny to get a request at band practice, and to top it off by text from someone upstairs.

Priceless !

Here is an interesting idea.
Take requests by text at your next gig.
have a sign at the gig that says" Text Your Song Request To xxx-xxx-xxxx"

Priceless !

I would set it to automatically send back a response with the band website and info.

Genius....but be prepared for the inevitable "you suck" texts

That's interesting, I never thought of that.

In fact this may be a whole new thing for audience feedback.
Have a large screen facing the band that provides texted comments and song requests.

"Your too loud" "Your too soft" The singer is off key" etc.

OK now which band is brave enough to do this.......................

That's interesting, I never thought of that.

In fact this may be a whole new thing for audience feedback.
Have a large screen facing the band that provides texted comments and song requests.

"Your too loud" "Your too soft" The singer is off key" etc.

OK now which band is brave enough to do this.......................

there is a rock club near me that has a large screen above the back of the stage to scroll the band name or put a band name image up for whoever is playing ...comments would take a brave band for sure!! I like the text idea though.

You would have to have someone screen the comments, then post them up on the screen....like they do on TV.

It could work. Drunk people can be very funny.... but then you also have the mean drunks :)

We have done something like this at concerts, to much success. Our version was, "Pull out your cell phones and text us your e-mail address." We did that on tour, which was more of a sure-fire way of getting people on the mailing list for each town.

I think having people text the answer to a question posed on stage would be fun. Maybe the first person to answer correctly, as decided by the order the texts are received, would win a CD or shirt.

Priceless !

Jim, I actually saw a band playing at Rula Bula in Tempe do this. They were a very tight rock cover band and had the phone # listed on a banner which came to an I pad the singer had attached to her mic stand. My wife thought this was just the bee's knees and proceeded to bombard them with requests. Some of which they politely declined but they did play a few.

Great idea. I like a little audience participation at a show.

Genius....but be prepared for the inevitable "you suck" texts

And be prepared for more people to have your phone # than you might prefer.

I remember 5 or 6 years ago at a Blue Man show, they would text the audience members as part of the show. You sent a signup text at the top of the show, and they'd send messages for things that were about to happen, stuff you had to do during the show, etc. I don't think I was doing texts at the time, so I missed all the fun. :(

Bermuda

I was out to dinner with a group of friends last Friday. My friends wife was sitting next to me across from her husband. She kept on taking her iPhone from her purse and interacting. I reminded her that there is an off button and that I had shut mine off before entering the restaurant. She said; How do you turn the phone off? I laughed thinking that she was joking and she replied; No, I am serious, how do you turn off your iPhone?
It was an Orwellian moment for me as I realized that, "1984" was true. I remembered that I had to experiment and figure out how to turn off my iPhone when I first received it.

Back