It Was A Really Good Day

DrumWild

I pretty much quit celebrating birthdays after 50, three years ago, which is why I usually don't mention it or list it anywhere. I also left social networking in mid-2014, which means that almost nobody remembers it anymore. That's fine.

It started out as a just another typical December 3rd. Went to Denny's for the free breakfast, went to Starbucks for the free coffee, then over to the music store to ask for a "free birthday drum." They bring out some poor, broken tom from the back and offer it up. Had a good laugh.

I'm sitting on the couch, totally minding my own business and watching YouTube videos, when my girlfriend stands up and throws a pillow at my feet. I'm wondering what's happening, as this seems unusual.

Then she gets on one knee, pulls out a ring and proposes.

To suggest that I was shocked would be an understatement. Long ago, she said that if I ever proposed to her, that she'd leave. We both had bad experiences with our first marriages, and had previously determined that marriage just wasn't for us. Why involve the government in this good thing? Don't try to fix something that's broken.

We experienced some life-changing events a few years ago. I won't go into the details, as it would be very distracting, but all of it really challenged our relationship, testing it in ways that I'd never imagined. We made it through.

We met via the Los Angeles Times online personals ads in early 1999, back when "The Matrix" was the hot new movie in theatres. We chat online for a short while, then talked on the phone for a short while, before meeting up.

Although she's not a musician, she has a passion for music and is interested in learning. She took to it, learning about drums and how to change heads, tune, set-up, and tear-down.

From 1999 to 2013, she was always there, helping with setting up the drums on the stage. After a show, I could take them down and leave her with them, so that I could go out and promote to people who were there to see us. When I would be done, the car would be loaded and ready to go. Imagine fitting a six-piece Premier kit and two people in a 1994 Saturn SL2. It's Drum Tetris. We both got gear-appropriate cars in 2007.

She got good enough that she found herself fixing drum gear for other bands. One time, after fixing an issue with an Iron Cobra double pedal, the drummer asked me what she would charge to be present at gigs. I was impressed.

She learned about cymbals and what I think makes a good one. She brought her own values into the mix. For example, the bell on the ride has to be pleasing to her. It was a detail that I'd not previously cared about. Her detailed hearing is way better than mine.

For 18.5 years, we've been best friends. We respect each other and get along very well. I can't imagine anyone else filling that role in my life.

So of COURSE I said "yes."

You're a lucky man!

My wife can't tell the difference between a snare drum and a floor tom, much less a cymbal.

I'm sitting on the couch, totally minding my own business and watching YouTube videos, when my girlfriend stands up and throws a pillow at my feet. I'm wondering what's happening, as this seems unusual.

Then she gets on one knee.....

First off... congratulations.

Second.... When it's my BDay and my spouse spontaneously throws a pillow at my feet and gets down on her knees.... Let's just say I though this thread was going somewhere else.

When it's my BDay and my spouse spontaneously throws a pillow at my feet and gets down on her knees.... Let's just say I though this thread was going somewhere else.

I have to admit, that crossed my mind about 50 times in those few seconds.

Second.... When it's my BDay and my spouse spontaneously throws a pillow at my feet and gets down on her knees.... Let's just say I though this thread was going somewhere else.

I know, right? You'd think on his birthday a man wouldn't have to tie his own shoes!

Imagine fitting a six-piece Premier kit and two people in a 1994 Saturn SL2. It's Drum Tetris.

5 piece Gretsch into a 2000 Saturn SL. I feel your pain.

Great story and an even better girl, brother!

No kidding... I should have just stopped reading right there.

Since she must know you better than anyone else, how would she fare as a ghost writer?

You see, we're all still waiting for your book!

Anyway, many congratulations.

18.5 years together before tying the knot. I reckon you've found your soulmate.

I give it 6 months. Jk that is wonderful, much happiness and healthiness and love!! You would've never had a shot if you weren't a drummer, they say we are amongst the sexiest of all human beings.

Back