Ndugu Chancellor

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I try to remember important drummers’ birthdays, and today is Ndugu Chancellor’s birthday! The man has played for everybody, most notably he’s the guy all over Michael Jackson’s hits like “Billy Jean” among others. He would’ve been 68 today, but passed away in 2018 after battling cancer. I was happy to be able to hang with the man at Pro Drum before he passed. He was genuinely interested in my journey as a drummer after I told him I first met him at a clinic in 1982. We chatted for almost an hour just trading drummer jokes at the shop! He is missed.

8B83968C-C5B4-4F38-B5CF-9BC79C49F478.jpeg

I try to remember important drummers’ birthdays, and today is Ndugu Chancellor’s birthday! The man has played for everybody, most notably he’s the guy all over Michael Jackson’s hits like “Billy Jean” among others. He would’ve been 68 today, but passed away in 2018 after battling cancer. I was happy to be able to hang with the man at Pro Drum before he passed. He was genuinely interested in my journey as a drummer after I told him I first met him at a clinic in 1982. We chatted for almost an hour just trading drummer jokes at the shop! He is missed.

View attachment 93803

One of the best - huge loss but what a career to remember him by!

Happy Birthday Ndugu!

Very nice Bo. I remember seeing a clinic he did and it was a real groove eye opener and gave me a whole new level of respect for the man.

Yet another drummer I've never heard of, although apparently heard his playing. Happy Belated Birthday to Ndugu!

Back