It is New Drum time.....

River19

So it is about that time.......new drums time.....or additional drums I should say.

Been playing a Starclassic Performer Birch (the original 2003ish) kit 8/10/12/14/22 and while I have no complaints with the kit, I have been playing it in the 1up 1down 12/14 configuration for the past year or so and I really love it.

Of course I am rocking a 14x12 suspended "floor tom" and while it plays fine and sounds great I am thinking a traditional FT for the next setup.

I have narrowed things down to a Noble & Cooley (local to me which is cool) Horizon or CD Maple kit, however I have been flip flopping on sizes and configuration for a few months.....

I will keep my Tama for certain gigs and rehearsals and some recording as they record very well for obvious reasons, so while I'm not looking to duplicate the sizes I am somewhat partial to the 22x18" kick in the SCs (it sounds fantastic). I'm predominantly a classic rock, Motown to country drummer at this point with limited jazz thrown in so.....

I've considered 22/13/16. 20/12/14, 20/12/14/16 or 22/12/14/16 and of course since I will be ordering them in my own finish and hardware color choices I am also wondering "shit what if I want to go back to 2 rack toms, should I just order a second rack tom as well while I am at it?"

Looking for some thoughts to help narrow some things down......

22" or 20"?

12 or 13" rack tom

Double Floor Toms? Never played 1 up 2 down

steadypocket

Gold Member
Ha.....no I've never gone through a Ludwig, DW or Gretsch phase.....especially not all at once......

Sans for a DW Craviotto snare...
I believe you’ve overlooked Pearl and probably half a dozen other manufacturers lol. Can’t go wrong with the Noble and Cooley. Get an extra tom just to enable you to switch configurations from time to time to keep things fresh.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I would go 22 13 16 personnally. With traditional depth (13x9" 16x16"). It's the sizes I feel at home with. Perfect classic rock 4 pieces kit.

Woolwich

Silver Member
If you’re happy with the sizes you currently have but are just wanting to switch things up a bit I’d go 12” 13” 14” ft 16” ft and 22” bass drum.
This will allow you to switch around between one on top or two on top, with the added bonus of deciding between 12” or 13” as that one on top. Having said that if you’re not convinced about two floor toms (I’m not, I’ve had set ups like that but never changed my technique/style to suit so usually only hit one of them) I would go with a 16” only.

My configuration is 10”, 12”, 14” ft and 20” bass drum. The smaller sizes were chosen for convenience, if that hadn’t been the case I’d have stuck with a 22” bass drum. Also 10” and 12” are offered more readily than 12” and 13” these days, truth be told if the option to have a 13” instead of a 10” had been available to me I’d have gone down that route. I always struggled to get a 13” tuned to my satisfaction but I can say almost the same about a 10” so imo a 13” would be at least as good as an option.

Also consider drum depth. The first time I played 16” and 14” deep bass drums with full front heads were revelations.
The tom depth is a whole other can of worms, I’m favouring the quick in and out and ease of tuning of shallower toms these days but I also can see the attraction of the traditional depths in terms of the look and sound.

River19

If you’re happy with the sizes you currently have but are just wanting to switch things up a bit I’d go 12” 13” 14” ft 16” ft and 22” bass drum.
This will allow you to switch around between one on top or two on top, with the added bonus of deciding between 12” or 13” as that one on top. Having said that if you’re not convinced about two floor toms (I’m not, I’ve had set ups like that but never changed my technique/style to suit so usually only hit one of them) I would go with a 16” only.

My configuration is 10”, 12”, 14” ft and 20” bass drum. The smaller sizes were chosen for convenience, if that hadn’t been the case I’d have stuck with a 22” bass drum. Also 10” and 12” are offered more readily than 12” and 13” these days, truth be told if the option to have a 13” instead of a 10” had been available to me I’d have gone down that route. I always struggled to get a 13” tuned to my satisfaction but I can say almost the same about a 10” so imo a 13” would be at least as good as an option.

Also consider drum depth. The first time I played 16” and 14” deep bass drums with full front heads were revelations.
The tom depth is a whole other can of worms, I’m favouring the quick in and out and ease of tuning of shallower toms these days but I also can see the attraction of the traditional depths in terms of the look and sound.
Thanks for the perspective and thoughts......

I used to play a 22x16" and I actually enjoy the 22x18" 10x more, but I think that is more a function of liking my current rig better than my previous Pearl by a large amount.

To me the classic hard rock or classic rock 4pc is a 13/16/22 but I really do like the 12 and 14..... and I don't really want to invite the setup handicap that a 13" over a 22" bass could bring on.....

The point about thinking through the double floor tom thing is valid; I've never played double FT and I am not really sure how I would adapt, and a FT isn't cheap when dealing with a higher end kit.....so perhaps an idea would be to go 10/12/16/22......that way I could go traditional 5pc if I wanted to and stay with my 1up1down primary setup as 12/16/22.

I toyed with a 20" bass but I have never played one and frankly my Tama will be my primary gig kit so the whole "20" is smaller and lighter for gigs" thing doesn't really apply.

I have to check out how a 10" tom will sound in a 10/12/16 setup

OldReliable

About the 10/12/16’s, my Tama Silverstars are configuered this way and I love them! I like the configuration a lot better than 12/13/16. With the Tama’s I’m able to tune them to a major chord, like 16-C, 12-G, 10-C. With the bigger sizes, I’ve tried this but it’s hard to near impossible not to make the 12” sound cranked and the 16” sound flabby.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I toyed with a 20" bass but I have never played one and frankly my Tama will be my primary gig kit so the whole "20" is smaller and lighter for gigs" thing doesn't really apply.
Real estate and maybe lower volume are the only reasons for playing one of these IMO. I have one I use for lighter volume gigs where the stage is smaller, but in reality, I could plop a full 22 down there, put a Vic fleece beater on the pedal and there'd be no difference in volume.
It's really how you play that makes the difference.

I'm a 2 floor tom guy as I loved the look and set up of the old big band drums my dad had records of. But if you know it won't do what you want, then stick with what you feel comfortable with.