It’s here, my backup drumkit

veecharlie

Nice kit for the money. What sizes did you get?

I know you were curious about the snare in particular. How does it sound?
I got the regular 10 12 16 22 sizes... I wish I had an 8” with it.

mahout the snare, completely don’t like it. It’s better in real but still... meh

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
It looks great, and I'm sure it'll sound great once you have the heads you like on it and it is tuned up. I used to own a Mapex Meridian kit and it was surprisingly well built and sounded great, especially the bass drum.

Is Mapex still offering the snare drum trade in?

veecharlie

It looks great, and I'm sure it'll sound great once you have the heads you like on it and it is tuned up. I used to own a Mapex Meridian kit and it was surprisingly well built and sounded great, especially the bass drum.

Is Mapex still offering the snare drum trade in?
apparently in the USA they still allow the trade in program. Got to agree that the kick sounds great too on this one!!

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I would go with a ludwig acrolite 10000 times before any mapex snare :oops:😬
I was referring to their trade in program, but tough to go wrong with an Acrolite! I had the Sledgehammer for some time. It did everything well, except quiet gigs. That was a tough snare to play quietly. So much more volume than the rest of my set. I know...stick, the person playing, etc., but being a human EQ all the time gets old. For outdoors, that snare was king. I only sold it, because it was just obnoxious for practice and wasn’t being used due to its volume. I’m sure I’ll miss it, if I’m ever playing unmic’d again.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The trade in program is only for a different Armory snare. If you don't like the Tomahawk, the Exterminator sounds like the polar opposite.

Trading in sounds like a great idea IMO. You get rid of a snare you don't like and get a free replacement. No trying to find a buyer. No trying to find a specific snare and coming up with the money for it. You get a brand new snare, no inherited issues, new wires, new heads. The Acro might cost you $150, but if it needs heads, wires, and possibly a throwoff you are now well over $200.

Try the trade in. What could it hurt?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
If I recall correctly one of the trade-in options is a matching finish wood snare with the Armory shell construction. I like every one of the other options more than the Tomahawk but I think the matching snare might be the best bet if that's still an option.

In addition to the matching Meridian snare drum (which was pretty nice, if a little simple-sounding) I've also owned a couple other all maple Mapex snares and I really liked all of them. Based on my own experiences I think Mapex wood snares are consistently solid drums.

veecharlie

I was referring to their trade in program, but tough to go wrong with an Acrolite! I had the Sledgehammer for some time. It did everything well, except quiet gigs. That was a tough snare to play quietly. So much more volume than the rest of my set. I know...stick, the person playing, etc., but being a human EQ all the time gets old. For outdoors, that snare was king. I only sold it, because it was just obnoxious for practice and wasn’t being used due to its volume. I’m sure I’ll miss it, if I’m ever playing unmic’d again.
yea I know about the trade in program. I just can't find any sympathy with them... not sure why. I find them very "dead", lack of body resonance... I think it has to do with the cheaper bearing edges, they might have inconsistencies that make them choke

veecharlie

If I recall correctly one of the trade-in options is a matching finish wood snare with the Armory shell construction. I like every one of the other options more than the Tomahawk but I think the matching snare might be the best bet if that's still an option.

In addition to the matching Meridian snare drum (which was pretty nice, if a little simple-sounding) I've also owned a couple other all maple Mapex snares and I really liked all of them. Based on my own experiences I think Mapex wood snares are consistently solid drums.
no idea about the matching finish, but there's indeed a maple/birch snare in the trade in program.