Istanbul?

805Drummer

Gold Member
Alright, so my English teacher, on the first day of school, was telling us about herself. It turns out her daughter lives in INSTANBUL, TURKEY, and the first thing that came to my mind, was, well, you know what. Cymbals!

So I was wondering...would the prices be like, waaaaay cheaper if you bought them in Istanbul and shipped them here?

Thanks!

Cymbalrider

Pioneer Member
Well you wouldn't really know what you would be getting. I'm sure cheap imitations run wild over there (like everywhere else) too. Besides by the time you pay shipping you could buy cymbals here. Just like Sabians aren't cheaper in Canada and Zildjians aren't cheaper in the US. Although if you want to buy Zildjians in Europe the cost of importing them drives the prices up, much like Paistes are expensive here in America. The only exception seems to be things that come from China--a.k.a. Wuhan cymbals and Dream cymbals

Steamer

Platinum Member
Handmade Turkish cymbals sold in Istanbul, Turkey are MUCH cheaper than what they are sold for anywhere else in the World.

Check out this online shop based in Istanbul and compare the prices of Istanbul Agop cymbals to the prices on the same pies at CymbalsOnly.com. BIG difference on this shops prices in Istanbul being much cheaper:

http://www.muziksepetim.com/page.php?act=kategoriGoster&catID=0&markaID=89

I've heard you can arrange visits ahead of time with the factories and they will let you select pies straight from new stock at even cheaper prices than the Turkish online site I listed but they just won't let someone walk in unannounced.

805Drummer

Gold Member
Handmade Turkish cymbals sold in Istanbul, Turkey are MUCH cheaper than what they are sold for anywhere else in the World.

Check out this online shop based in Istanbul and compare the prices of Istanbul Agop cymbals to the prices on the same pies at CymbalsOnly.com. BIG difference on this shops prices in Istanbul being much cheaper:

http://www.muziksepetim.com/page.php?act=kategoriGoster&catID=0&markaID=89

I've heard you can arrange visits ahead of time with the factories and they will let you select pies straight from new stock at even cheaper prices than the Turkish online site I listed but they just won't let someone walk in unannounced.
$170 for a 17" Alchemy China? WOW, those prices are cheap. Too bad shipping though:( And I don't think my parents are gonna want to fly to Istanbul to pick up a cymbal.

Steamer

Platinum Member

Look! It's houses on the Bosphorus! What's that, you say? Houses on a cymbal? No, it turns out the Bosphorus is a river. How quaint.
Bosphorus is the large narrow straight of water that divides Asian and European Istanbul, Turkey from each other connected now by a state of the art impressive modern bridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosphorus

If you go to Istanbul look for this road marker to my own personal Turkish handmade cymbals "field of dreams" :}

Attachments

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

Really with the Istanbul (and any handmade cymbal) you're going to have to listen to it before you buy. Whilst shipping it across seems like a good idea in principle, it's probably wiser to buy them locally. I was lucky enough to be able to get a beautiful Istanbul ride a few years ago at a local shop before I was really aware of the brand. Much cheaper than the equivalent Zildjian or Sabian and I was far happier. No caveats. I have no idea what the prices are like over in your part of the World, however.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Really with the Istanbul (and any handmade cymbal) you're going to have to listen to it before you buy. Whilst shipping it across seems like a good idea in principle, it's probably wiser to buy them locally. I was lucky enough to be able to get a beautiful Istanbul ride a few years ago at a local shop before I was really aware of the brand. Much cheaper than the equivalent Zildjian or Sabian and I was far happier. No caveats. I have no idea what the prices are like over in your part of the World, however.
I agree with handmade Turkish cymbals it's best to select them in the flesh since everyone of them has it's own individual character. That's my personal choice that works for me.

Regarding the price difference on this side of the pond. One example:

US online Agop dealer cymbalsonly.com- 22" Epoch ride $434.00
Online shop selling Agop in Istanbul, Turkey muziksepetim.com- 22" Epoch ride $228.00

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

At a guess we're paying more like the 'Native' price over in the UK. Admittedly it was a few years ago I bought my ride, but the other price seems a bit higher than we have here certainly. Over here they're also a cost/effective solution as well as being bloody good cymbals.

Steamer

Platinum Member
At a guess we're paying more like the 'Native' price over in the UK. Admittedly it was a few years ago I bought my ride, but the other price seems a bit higher than we have here certainly. Over here they're also a cost/effective solution as well as being bloody good cymbals.
Agop are still priced better here too compared to the high end stuff from the "Big 3"

Examples from the cymbalsonly.com website:

22" Sabian Artisan Ride Medium- $559.00
22" Zildjian KCON Medium- $490.00
22" Paiste Dark Energy MK2 Ride- $476.00
22" Agop Signature Ride- $434.00

Agreed on your last comment :}