Istanbul mehmet or Stagg DH?

Piebe

Currently i own a Stagg DH cymbal set (14 " hh/ 16"crash + 20" ride) should i upgrade to Istanbul Mehmet?

It's up to you, Dh's are B20 which is considered professional alloy (which I don't really see why material makes it pro, B8 are used in both low end and high end so that's a load of bull). It's only an upgrade if you'd like them more than your DH's.

It's up to you, Dh's are B20 which is considered professional alloy (which I don't really see why material makes it pro, B8 are used in both low end and high end so that's a load of bull). It's only an upgrade if you'd like them more than your DH's.

+1 on this.

BTW, how do you pronounce your screen name?

+1 on this.

BTW, how do you pronounce your screen name?
I like my Stagg DH's this is simply an opportunity that came on my path. From what i've read i expect the Mehmets to be superior. But i never heard them live so we'll see Wednesday.

My screen name is pronounced pee ~ buh.

Do you mean his name or mine? haha

How do you like the DH's? I was considering them for a while.

What kind of ride do you have a regular? they make a Extra Dry Ride DH if you haven't tried it
I have the jazzride which i got for a bargain. It is alright but the crash and the hihat are on a different level if you ask me. The Istanbul Samatya ride that i will try tomorrow seems to be as good as it gets.

I have the jazzride which i got for a bargain. It is alright but the crash and the hihat are on a different level if you ask me. The Istanbul Samatya ride that i will try tomorrow seems to be as good as it gets.

Have you tried the rock or medium rides?

Have you tried the rock or medium rides?
No, but i may try them tomorrow if i don't like the Istanbul Samatya pack, which i hardly can imagine judging by the reviews, but if that happens to be the case i sure will try them out both. I have been a Stagg DH adept for many years and have yet to find cymbals just as good in the same price range.

I have been a Stagg DH adept for many years and have yet to find cymbals just as good in the same price range.

Are they pro grade (in your opinion) like the company says? I've been thinking about getting them.

Are they pro grade (in your opinion) like the company says? I've been thinking about getting them.
Absolutely they sound just amazing and i would order the 14"hi-hat DH rock brilliant and the 16"heavy rock crash brilliant blindfolded. In a few hours i will know if i consider the slightly more expensive Istanbul Samatya to be superior. If not the the Stagg family will go home with me. I can't afford them both so i'll have to sell my DH set in order to get the Samatya set which i naturally will only do if it's an upgrade.

Thanks very much Guitar Center carries them just not near me but I was always curious.

You will be surprised how well they sound that's why i am so hesitant to exchange them even for a brand that has a huge rep like Istanbul. I've seen people on this forum state that it doesn't get any better then a Samatya cymbal set, but i like my DH set enough to travel all the way to the shop and hear for myself first.

I don't have that luxery of Instanbul.. never even saw one in person, I have the "main stream" music store. DW, Tama, occasional Masters kit, 60% Zildjian, 35% Sabian, 5% Paiste (a few 2002's and sigs), not even a Meinl. Can't get anything good really unless it's from these companies. No variety

The Istanbul cymbals are the latest addition in the shop where i go to and since the brand is not very well known in Holland you pay almost the same for it as the Stagg DH line. Except for the Agop 22" jazz ride which goes for 350 euro or so. I desire that ride very much but if i buy it it will literally bankrupt me.

For the rest it's the same brands here as in your shop. And it wouldn't surprise me if they will take Istanbul in consideration if enough people ask them about it.

Go and bash a few Istanbuls. I own an Istanbul ride (I've had it since I was sixteen) and it's been an incredibly faithful servant to me. It does everything. It could be a one-cymbal kit with my Istanbul and I absolutely adore it - plus it's got a lot of memories of my teenage years wrapped up in it.

When I bought it, Istanbul were just taking hold in the UK. I bought it for £140. Nowadays, I would think it would cost me twice as much! I actually went looking at cymbals yesterday and was shocked at how much shops were charging - even second hand - for mainstream cymbals.

If you find the right Istanbul, it's your cymbal for life.

I went and got the Istanbul mehmet pack containing an 18" crash a 14" hi-hat and a 20" ride. I wouldn't say they are better then the Stagg DH i owned, they are just different and more subtle. The ride is even a little too subtle since i can hardly hear it when the bass player jumps in, but sound wise it is superior over the Stagg Jazz ride in my opinion. Because of the subtleness i am thinking about upgrading to a 22"Istanbul Agop Jazz ride. Even though i am happy with my new purchase, i would have never sold my Stagg DH cymbals if i could afford both sets!

Last edited:
Back