istanbul cymbals

CASP3Rdrummer

so i was browsing some websites comparing the prices of hihats but usually brands like paiste sabian meinl zildjian... and then i found a website selling istanbuls. now i know they are quite good cymbals but i know about them far less than the other brands. so three things i want to know. first of all how good are they compared to the 'big 4' companies, whats their top, mid and low quality series (for instance hhx, xs 20 and b8 as in sabian) and lastly is 245 euros for 14" instabul agop traditional medium hihat a high, standard or low price? (to compare you with other brands zildjian a new beats are 320 euros same as 2002 paistes, aax's are some euros more and the hhx are over 400)

oceansikth

Hey man, i just got a set of Istanbul Agop Xist, got the set (14"hh,16"cr,18"cr,20"rd) for £310 which is probably less than 350Euros and i couldnt have been happier. Theyre by no means entry level, more like semi-pro.

Theyre hand-hammered b20 and they manage to combine traditional and modern really well which matches the sound i wanted, plus they look amazing and i think i got a better deal than i would have got with the big 4 (even though a lot of people will disagree). If you're like me and you want something a bit different then you'll be very happy with Istanbul. Check out my profile for some pics.

I havent had chance to set them up on my kit in the prac room and and have a proper go, just tested them on stands in my room but ill let you know how the hihats sound and feel. If theyre anything like the crashes and ride (ride is so nice) then ill have a lot to say.

Best person to speak to is Steamer (Stan) who is an Istanbul endorser and will help you with any q's you have bout Agop. Judging by the title of this thread he'll be posting here in 3....2....1...

CASP3Rdrummer

haha i guess he'll be soon here.

i went on the istanbul website but i'm quite confused with the series. first of all there are the traditional series but i can't understand whether they are semi pro or pro... also the set you said before i can't find it.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
I may be wrong but I don't think they make anything but pro level stuff. I have played the Mehmet stuff and absolutely love them.

CASP3Rdrummer

they seem to have discontinued mehmet series :S
and if they only make pro cymbals 245 euros ($330) is cheap when 2oo2 are 320 euros ($430) isn't it ?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Fellow forum member Steamer is an Istanbul endorsee. You may want to send him a PM and I'm sure he will give you the story inside and out. I don't think he will mind me dropping his name.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Can't go wrong with Istanbul Agop IMO CASP3Rdrummer.

They have a wide range of handmade B20 Turkish pies to choose from including the new lower cost but still pro level Xist series B20 cymbals. Those ones start by having their profile given to them by an hydralic press first like most other cymbals made today but then are entirely hand hammered top and bottom then hand lathed. The other pro lines from Agop are individually cast B20 bronze entirely shaped and hammered by hand hence the higher cost but still under price wise to many others pro level cymbals in direct comparison from the "Big 3".

Depending on knowing what music you play and such I can offer some specific suggestions for you.

CASP3Rdrummer

thank you stan and the rest of you who replied. i play mostly old school metal (ie thrash, death) and i can hit hardly but i have never cracked a cymbal (i guess i have good technique). i have heard some sound clips from the traditional istanbuls and i must admit that they sounded too dark even the medium ones. i like brighter cymbals but not like z customs for example... something like AA and AAX compared to sabian. also why there isn't Xist on their website? is it brand new series? and what are alchemy cymbals? and what do you think about the prices i mentioned? are they good compared to others or normal?

Steamer

Platinum Member
Okay that helps narrow it down....

Sounds like somthing from Alchemy may do the trick for hats.

Here's the Alchemy website:

http://www.alchemycymbals.com/

Heartbeat Percussion has a collection of sound files from Agop of the Alchemy series that might help narrow in the search:

http://www.heartbeatpercussion.com/cymbals/AlchemyProfessional.htm

Only others i'd add would be a pair of Azures or Xist hats. The Xist are mentioned in the new products section on the Agop website {bottom}:

http://www.istanbulcymbals.com/newproducts.php

Prices seem on par with what you see from other European sellers after the latest price increase this year on all cymbals not just Istanbul Agop.

Good luck!

slingerlandfreak

I am Mehmet endorser and player because i wrilly love my cymbals. I would not play something that i don t like.I played Zildjian K customs and Paiste 2002,sig.etc and Mehmets are superior for me. I think that you have by far biggest choice on models by Istanbul Mehmet.
Only i would not buy them over net, first i would try some models on your place because it could be some differences by same models- i think this is only problem by Mehmets.
If you play rock pop you can not go wrong with Radiant sweet series-great cymbals and very equal, so you can not make mistakes with this series.
If you play jazz then first try before you buy something!

CASP3Rdrummer

after listening to some more sound clips i still found them all quite dark so tell me from your experience if these could stand up in a rock/metal live

14" regular hats

22" heavy ride

18" med crash

Steamer

Platinum Member
Did you check out the Alchemy Sweet hats etc...

Brighter more cutting for your taste I think.

Istanbul Agop owns Alchemy so there's one company ISTANBUL AGOP.

Istanbul Mehmet is another completely different Turkish cymbal company that came from the split of the original company run by Agop and Mehmet simply called Istanbul that was split in two after Agop died in an unfortunate accident in 96. Istanbul Agop is owned and run by Agops two sons Arman and Sarkis who also own Alchemy.

I'm a Istanbul Agop endorser courtesy of Heartbeat Percussion the Agop distributor here in Canada.

CASP3Rdrummer

aha nice for clearing it up!

i have misgivings about alchemy... are they hand hammered first of all? they seem too 'innovative' rather than old school hand made turkish cymbals

i checked the azures also. they seem quite dark still :( maybe the sound clips are just that way..i dunno... and they are new so i'll probably have to wait to see them here!

Steamer

Platinum Member
The Alchemy Pro Series are B20 bronze and are hand shaped and hand hammered just like Istanbul Agops but are intended for louder more cutting applications.The Alchemy Raw series for instance are a heavier brilliant version of Agop Turk series handmade pies. Loud and cutting but still a bit dark and complex underneath.

The Azures have been out for a few years now. A cleaner more focused sounding Agop. The 14" hats are killer!