Istanbul Cymbals

bearblastbeats

Looking to renew my collection here and try to get out of the dark trashy phase I was in.

I currently am playing:

16" Istanbul Sig hats
20" & 22" Zildjian Special Dry Dark Crash
22" Istanbul Med Sig Ride
& 22" Istanbul Traditional Dark Ride.

I am wondering if the 30th anniversary would be a good in-between from the dark/trashy and bright sounds?

My 22" traditional dark is about as bright as I would go.

Someone on Reverb is selling his 22" 30th, I wonder if he would do a trade for the traditional dark as he wants something brighter.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

What kind of music are you playing? The 30th Anniversary line are beautiful cymbals, very reminiscent of old K Zildjians (the ones from Istanbul). They would be amazing for jazz, and lower volume genres. They're very light, so anything where you're hitting harder, it might not stand up to.

Having tried a few out 30th Anniversary cymbals over the years, I'd say this video is very accurate at showing how they sound. In terms of being brighter, I'm not sure the Traditional Dark is necessarily brighter, but it is a very different kind of sound, probably a little less 'exotic' than the 30th Anniversary

The Agop 30th Anniversary are amazing ride cymbals. As with all Agops each cymbal has its own nuances sonically depending on the weight and hammering. Each Agop is its own instrument so I would encourage you to hear the cymbal before you pull the trigger. It took me three years to locate my 22" Agop 30th Anniversary Ride and five years to locate my 24" 30th Anniversary.

That being said you might want to consider the 24" 30th Anniversary with your exisiting cymbal setup. It's not just a two-inch larger version of the 22" 30th Anniversary, it's a completely different cymbal because it is heavier. That being said I don't think you would be disappointed with the 22" 30th Anniversary.
Just take the time to hear whatever you gravitate toward. No two are the same.

One man's dark is another man's something else. Our descriptions are ballpark at best. Only your ears can make the final call anyway. Tones are not accurately talked about here, try as we might. It's just too subjective.

The best thing you can do is spend an afternoon at mycymbal.com, and with a pair of good headphones, have a shootout. Listen to as many cymbals that you're interested in as you can. The cymbals you like, open them up each in their own new tab. When you have about 20 or more tabs of potential purchases, then do the shootout. See which comes out on top. Then buy it.

One man's dark is another man's something else. Our descriptions are ballpark at best. Only your ears can make the final call anyway. Tones are not accurately talked about here, try as we might. It's just too subjective.

The best thing you can do is spend an afternoon at mycymbal.com, and with a pair of good headphones, have a shootout. Listen to as many cymbals that you're interested in as you can. The cymbals you like, open them up each in their own new tab. When you have about 20 or more tabs of potential purchases, then do the shootout. See which comes out on top. Then buy it.
awesome suggestions and thank you. i spend a lot of time researching drum parts and use them a lot, thats why i've selected my options down to the 30th.

The Agop 30th Anniversary are amazing ride cymbals. As with all Agops each cymbal has its own nuances sonically depending on the weight and hammering. Each Agop is its own instrument so I would encourage you to hear the cymbal before you pull the trigger. It took me three years to locate my 22" Agop 30th Anniversary Ride and five years to locate my 24" 30th Anniversary.

That being said you might want to consider the 24" 30th Anniversary with your exisiting cymbal setup. It's not just a two-inch larger version of the 22" 30th Anniversary, it's a completely different cymbal because it is heavier. That being said I don't think you would be disappointed with the 22" 30th Anniversary.
Just take the time to hear whatever you gravitate toward. No two are the same.

I did see the 24 at DCP, gorgeous! I also had the 15" hats so I'm definetly going back to those when funds are available!
What kind of music are you playing? The 30th Anniversary line are beautiful cymbals, very reminiscent of old K Zildjians (the ones from Istanbul). They would be amazing for jazz, and lower volume genres. They're very light, so anything where you're hitting harder, it might not stand up to.

Having tried a few out 30th Anniversary cymbals over the years, I'd say this video is very accurate at showing how they sound. In terms of being brighter, I'm not sure the Traditional Dark is necessarily brighter, but it is a very different kind of sound, probably a little less 'exotic' than the 30th Anniversary
I did like the trad when I was playing heavy metal, the bell was grate for cutting, but honestly, i'm likely to get back into classic rock to modern rock era cover bands when things open back up here. The traditional is great, but it boring to my ears because it just like another Zildjian A Custom or any other run of the mill rock ride. haha

If you haven't done so already, reach out to Tony at Cymbals Only. Let him know what you're after sound wise and tell him your current cymbal setup. Tony knows his stuff. Straight shooter. He's a great resource.

I wouldn't see the 30th cymbals as the way out of dark and trashy. I guess my recommendations would depend on how far out of that zone you really want to go. I mean, like, Paiste 602s, 2002s, and Signatures are all WAY out of that zone and are all great-sounding cymbals. If you want to get part way out, a set of post-2013 Zildjian As or Paiste Big Beats might do the trick.

I wouldn't see the 30th cymbals as the way out of dark and trashy. I guess my recommendations would depend on how far out of that zone you really want to go. I mean, like, Paiste 602s, 2002s, and Signatures are all WAY out of that zone and are all great-sounding cymbals. If you want to get part way out, a set of post-2013 Zildjian As or Paiste Big Beats might do the trick.
Appreciate your input.

Have owned an array of Paiste 602 24" ride. A few 2002 20 inch rides as crashs and also 2002 16 crashes used as hi hats.

Love Paiste. Just not what I'm looking for right now brotha

Another thing to bear in mind is that not only does each 30th sound unique, but they had a big change in overall character a few years ago. I’ve owned a few. The earlier ones were very trashy, and later ones more traditional like a K. Be sure you get to hear the exact one you buy.

I wouldn't ditch Agop and go Paiste or Zildjian A.
There are a lot of less trashy Agop cymbals. I use the Traditional and Mantra line for poppier music.
I think the 30th Anniversary are outstanding cymbals. Dark and trashy are highly subjective, but I would suggest trying some 30th Anni.

I wouldn't ditch Agop and go Paiste or Zildjian A.
There are a lot of less trashy Agop cymbals. I use the Traditional and Mantra line for poppier music.
I think the 30th Anniversary are outstanding cymbals. Dark and trashy are highly subjective, but I would suggest trying some 30th Anni.
What? Did you miss read my post?

Another thing to bear in mind is that not only does each 30th sound unique, but they had a big change in overall character a few years ago. I’ve owned a few. The earlier ones were very trashy, and later ones more traditional like a K. Be sure you get to hear the exact one you buy.
I saw some older ones on reverb that looked cool but no videos. Id be interested if I could hear them.

For inquiring minds.

I ended up getting another paid of 15" 30th hats. I liked them before so why not.

Also picked up a 20" sig crash and 20" epoch crash. They mix really well together so I'm pretty stoked on that. Order a 22" 30th but in the mean time I'm still loving my 22" sig medium.

I wonder after a while which one will be my main ride. Or maybe I'll figure on both like Steve Ferrone.

Kept all the other cymbals and bought a full set of yamaha 700 series hardware for my yamaha kit and am building a set for my son. Just need to get a snare and we are just about finished.

Cheers.

Back