Istanbul cymbals (jazz)

mpalmr

Hey guys. I was wondering where I could go in LA to test some istanbul cymbals. I really dont want to just order stuff by just hearing a sound clip, because handmade cymbals can all sound a little different.

I understand you don't want to just check a sound clip if you can help it. In my case I had no choice since no one carries anything locally and getting on a plane or driving several hours wasn't an option. I can tell you that the clips on Cymbalsonly are pretty much dead on. Tony's return policy is reasonable as well.

Thank you guys so much! Big help. I have a very old zildjian k custom that i am using as a ride for jazz right now,. its very dark, dry, and pingy. I was looking for a second jazz right like a traditional washy jazz ride. I was looking on cymbalsonly, and they have an awesome selection!! I was thinking about getting the Istanbul 20" sultan jazz ride. What do you guys think?

Thank you guys so much! Big help. I have a very old zildjian k custom that i am using as a ride for jazz right now,. its very dark, dry, and pingy. I was looking for a second jazz right like a traditional washy jazz ride. I was looking on cymbalsonly, and they have an awesome selection!! I was thinking about getting the Istanbul 20" sultan jazz ride. What do you guys think?

Go for the sound that suits you. Tastes are all different and personal. There's no right or wrong here.

I've never played a Sultan myself but I've read a few posts by some users here (may want to search on that) who have really liked them.

If you can't be in a store for actual selection (which is best) then Cymbalsonly is the next alternative for a wide variety and especially service. I'd encourage you to give Tony a call and have a conversation about them as long as needed if that helps. He'll give you as much phone time as you need.

Just talked to him. He's awesome and really nice which refreshing . I bought a 21 Istanbul sultan jazz ride. :)

Tony who owns Cymbalsonly.com is who gets all my business. But there are others such as Mycymbal.com

Feel free to take a look at my online photo album for my latest purchases from Tony. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1141

So will those Istanbuls work for more folk/pop/singer-songwriter kind of things or are they really only suited toward jazz?

I ask because I LOVE the sound samples I have heard of the Istanbul Agop SE Jazz ride (22") and hats (15") on Tony's site.

Thanks!

I have bought 5 Istanbul Agops over the years from Tony at cymbalsonly.com. He is a fantastic guy to work with. After the first two cymbals, he remembered my name(which is rather unique) and what kind of sounds I liked. Because he plays, too, he was able to give me an idea of a given cymbal's feel, as well as its sound. I wholeheartedly recommend him!

As for using the Istanbuls for styles other than jazz - absolutely! I use mine for rock, pop, and country, as well as jazz. I find them very versatile.

So will those Istanbuls work for more folk/pop/singer-songwriter kind of things or are they really only suited toward jazz?

I ask because I LOVE the sound samples I have heard of the Istanbul Agop SE Jazz ride (22") and hats (15") on Tony's site.

Thanks!

I sent you a PM that pretty much said the same thing IDDrummer said.

I have bought 5 Istanbul Agops over the years from Tony at cymbalsonly.com. He is a fantastic guy to work with. After the first two cymbals, he remembered my name(which is rather unique) and what kind of sounds I liked. Because he plays, too, he was able to give me an idea of a given cymbal's feel, as well as its sound. I wholeheartedly recommend him!

As for using the Istanbuls for styles other than jazz - absolutely! I use mine for rock, pop, and country, as well as jazz. I find them very versatile.

Okay so Tony is so awesome! I called him and he didnt call back for 3 hours... so when i ordered my cymbal he sent it with priority mail shipping for FREE and it got to my house in 2 days! Hes such a cool and nice guy to talk to and very knowledgable. Here is my new Istanbul Agop 21 inch sultan jazz ride :)

istanbul sultan jazz ride.jpg

jazz setup.jpg
14" meinl byzance hi hats, 20" old zildjian k custom ride, 21" istanbul agop sultan jazz ride
Mapex saturn

Back