ISTANBUL AGOP'S FOR AMERICANA/INDIE ROCK

53Rockets

Hey everybody, fairly new drummer here with a question that hopefully some people may have experience with, or at the very least, an opinion.

I currently play Paiste Big Beats and love them, but i'm intrigued/obsessed with Istanbul Agops. I play indie/classic rock and american. I like ambiant, percussive drum parts and big, washy cymbals that blend well with toms' and kick. I'm looking for opinions on what Istanbul Agops might be a good start for the above genre's. Obviously most people will rightly say 'if it ain't broke...'
or at least, if you want something different, stick with a different Paiste. I'm not against the idea, but every single video, soundclip etc of any Agop cymbal sounds crazy good.
I haven't gotten to actually play any, so any experience or opinions about what Agops (ride/crash) you might go with would be great.

P

Peedy

My only experience with them is that I own one single Agop Xist cymbal, a 16in 1050g thin crash. It’s nice enough but with a tad “dirtier” sound than my old A. Zildjians. So much depends on the sound your mind’s ear is going for. If you love em, go for it.

Pete

MrTheOne

As an Ist Agop owner myself I have to say go for it. Depending on the line they can be pricey, but I think you’ll like the results. I have a 22” medium traditional ride, a 19” traditional dark crash, and a set of 14” xist hats. They work well as a unit for the most part. Although I now wish I would have chosen a bit lighter weight ride. But otherwise I love ‘em!

53Rockets

That was poor english....thanks for the info. I'm a bit torn right now. I found a nice Zildjian Avedis 21" crash ride, and an Agop 21" Traditional medium ride for about the same price. I feel like it's a good deal on either cymbal, and despite being very different i think they each have a vibe. I definitely more stick definition than wash and some crashability. There are worse decisions to make.....

bongoman

Remember that Agops don’t all sound the same. They make different lines that are darker, brighter, louder, quieter, dirtier, cleaner. They’re famous for the thin, dirty sounding ones, but that’s just a portion of their range.

I have a ton of different Agops and some of them would be perfect for what you described; but you need to listen to specific ones, cherry-pick them, because buying without hearing can be super disappointing.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
What bongo said-- some of them are extremely funky-- maybe not in a way you want for that music. The traditionals or Sultans might be the way to go, in normal medium ride / thin or med. thin crash weights.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I have more than a few Agops and I love them. If you take your time you could have a unique cymbal ensemble that could be your individual signature. I echo bongoman's counsel to listen before buying because each cymbal tends to have its own unique voice. I also agree with toddbishop that the Traditional Series and Sultans are a great starting point for your musical style.

Check out sound files at Cymbals Only:

KamaK

Platinum Member
Agops sit close to where a stock K or K-Dark does in the mix. Perfect for acoustic folk and sparse arrangements. If your fighting two screaming guitars, or a treble blaster (telecaster) through a bright amp, that area of the spectrum is going to get crowded and I tend to recommend gettin over top with an A or AA style cymbal.

When I think of cymbals, my considerations are:
Where is there room in the spectrum considering the other instruments? This lets me know what the pitch should be.
How dense is arrangement, how much space do I need to fill? This lets me know how long sustain needs to be and how much wash is necessary.

Darth Vater

I have a 21" Agop Xist ride and I love it. The wash on this thing is so expansive yet you can stick it without any issues. It has a really unique sound.

johnwesley

Silver Member
They're very nice sounding cymbals, but like anything else, you need to hear them yourself and decide. I have (2) 20" Istanbul Agop Alchemy rides. One medium and the other heavy. Great cymbals. Also have a 16" Agop Xist ion effects that is absolutely never leaving my sight. "Curly Bill" Saffield turned me on to the Istanbul line a couple years ago and I'm glad he did. I've come to trust