Issues with finger tightening tension rods

I am unable to finger tighten the tension rods to the point of contact with the hoops on all 3 drums on my kit (Sakae trilogy). They all stop turning about half an inch above the rim. Its not a giant issue because I simply use a drum key to tighten them just until they dont move around. (They turn easily using a drum key, im not cranking / over tightening them) Still slightly annoying though. Never ran into this issue on other drums I've had in the past. Anyone else experience this?

rstange1

Yes. High end Yamaha drums are the same way (makes sense considering who made them). They use a nylock nut (not sure I'm spelling that right) in the tension rod receiver to prevent the tension rod from getting loose prematurely. Here's an example comparring Yamaha's receivers.IMG_0648.jpeg

Yes. High end Yamaha drums are the same way (makes sense considering who made them). They use a nylock nut (not sure I'm spelling that right) in the tension rod receiver to prevent the tension rod from getting loose prematurely. Here's an example
That solves it. Thanks for the reply!

Justinhub2003

have you ever tried to use those tuning keys from Remo and Evans that have a nub at the top that simulates finger tight. It doesn't allow you to get the full torque of the normal wing style key part but a little more grip that finger tight.

I know it helps me with my Sonor Sq1 kit which have Tune Safe built into the lugs.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 4.21.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-20 at 4.21.24 PM.png

have you ever tried to use those tuning keys from Remo and Evans that have a nub at the top that simulates finger tight. It doesn't allow you to get the full torque of the normal wing style key part but a little more grip that finger tight.

I know it helps me with my Sonor Sq1 kit which have Tune Safe built into the lugs.

View attachment 108596View attachment 108597
I haven't tried these. My current tuning approach seems to be working, but I do prefer to simply finger tighten down to the rim so maybe I will try one.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have an Evans drum key and that kind of takes the place of of turning the rods with my fingers I use the narrowed knob on top of the key instead. I get them all hand tight that way

Icetech

Gold Member
My yammys are like this (i think made by sakai in 87 still) what i do is tighten the rod and sort of wiggle it back and forth as i go and i can feel as soon as it hits the rim, then i start tuning from that point.

P.S. only my snare has the nyloks, i WISH my toms did.. i am so sick of touching up the tuning on them.. the only thing i miss from my DW's is the fine threaded tension rods.. every kit should have them.

My yammys are like this (i think made by sakai in 87 still) what i do is tighten the rod and sort of wiggle it back and forth as i go and i can feel as soon as it hits the rim, then i start tuning from that point.

P.S. only my snare has the nyloks, i WISH my toms did.. i am so sick of touching up the tuning on them.. the only thing i miss from my DW's is the fine threaded tension rods.. every kit should have them.
The "wiggle method" is what I do as well to simulate finger tight. I actually could have bought the matching snare for pretty cheap but passed, kind of regret it.

rstange1

I know how you feel. Back in the day, my Y2K era Yamaha stage custom kit was SO easy to knock out of tune. I loved those drums, but the constant tuning drove me nuts. I tried using Lug Locks with some success, but wasn't diggin' the looks or the inconvenience if re-tuning. So, I had my local drum shop order me a bunch of Yamaha's high-end tension rod receivers (lug nuts) with the nylon inserts, and retrofitted those to all of the lugs on all of the drums. Wasn't cheap, but did the job very well. Someone got a nice hidden upgrade when they bought my old kit. Adding a photo of the old Stage Customs and the part number for the Yamaha lug nuts.
IMG_0616.jpegIMG_0650.jpeg

Icetech

Gold Member
I know how you feel. Back in the day, my Y2K era Yamaha stage custom kit was SO easy to knock out of tune. I loved those drums, but the constant tuning drove me nuts. I tried using Lug Locks with some success, but wasn't diggin' the looks or the inconvenience if re-tuning. So, I had my local drum shop order me a bunch of Yamaha's high-end tension rod receivers (lug nuts) with the nylon inserts, and retrofitted those to all of the lugs on all of the drums. Wasn't cheap, but did the job very well. Someone got a nice hidden upgrade when they bought my old kit. Adding a photo of the old Stage Customs and the part number for the Yamaha lug nuts.
View attachment 108629View attachment 108630

Thanks, i was wondering if you can buy them separately, will have to get some.. I need to get a whole set of lugs for my kit also which is going to hurt BAD... but it is what it is, the pitted ones work for now :)

Icetech

Gold Member
The "wiggle method" is what I do as well to simulate finger tight. I actually could have bought the matching snare for pretty cheap but passed, kind of regret it.

I wouldn't sweat it... a few days ago i finally tried out my RC birdseye snare... made it 2 days and the Greb went back on the kit.. matching is nice, but they usually end up on a shelf is all, take that money and get a greb :)