Issue with Tama Speed Cobra slave pedal footboard angle

beatdat

I use a Tama Speed Cobra double bass pedal for practicing basic foot coordination and balancing my feet. I don't use a double bass pedal when I play, and probably won't.

But I have a problem: I'm not able to adjust the footboard angle on the slave pedal as high as I like. For some reason, the footboard angle on the main pedal can be adjusted as high as I like, but not on the slave pedal.

I'm wondering if it's possible to shorten the chain on the slave pedal by removing one or more of the links.

Has anyone done this before? Will it work? Is it easy to do or should I have a local drum shop do it for me?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't have a speed cobra, but most pedal construction is similar.

Before you remove any links, check out it's mounting points on the cam and under the footboard. There should be drum key parts that attach the chain to the pedal at either end. Undo these and see if you can move the chain a link or two. My guess is one of the two ends will allow this. If so, there is no need to remove any links.

What if you slide the left rod out of the driveshaft and rotate it one notch and slide it back in?

What if you slide the left rod out of the driveshaft and rotate it one notch and slide it back in?

Typically that hex-shaft has the driveshaft mounting tab machined into it. Changing the angle of that tab throws off the geometry of the whole slave unit. If you go so far as to change it at the main pedal also (slave side), you will solve the geometry issue of the driveshaft, but then will have to readjust your spring setting, and basically be right back where you started, with the exception of your driveshaft tabs which are now at 60 degrees instead of flat.

Try the chain mounts. The chain has to come off fairly easily. It wasn't born on there, and someone had to assemble the thing initially.

I think you must be overlooking some adjustments somewhere. Loosen the hex bolt above the spring and pull the beater back until your pedal height comes to where you want it. Then loosen the hex bolt under the beater and rotate the beater forward to the angle that you want it. That should put your pedal the way you wanted

I don't have a speed cobra, but most pedal construction is similar.

Before you remove any links, check out it's mounting points on the cam and under the footboard. There should be drum key parts that attach the chain to the pedal at either end. Undo these and see if you can move the chain a link or two. My guess is one of the two ends will allow this. If so, there is no need to remove any links.

I did as you suggested, and, while the chain can be removed, there is no room to move it a link or two; as is, the chain butts up against the mounting points on the cam and under the footboard. Too bad, this would have been an easy workaround.

I think you must be overlooking some adjustments somewhere. Loosen the hex bolt above the spring and pull the beater back until your pedal height comes to where you want it. Then loosen the hex bolt under the beater and rotate the beater forward to the angle that you want it. That should put your pedal the way you wanted

That's the thing, I did this for both the main pedal and the slave pedal when I set it up, but, while the main pedal footboard can be adjusted as much (and even further than) I like, the slave pedal footboard will adjust to only so high. Even though I can pull the beater of the slave pedal back to the height that I like, once I tighten the hex bolt, it simply goes back to the maximum height it allows.

To note, this pedal is a replacement. I took the first one back to the store because of this issue, and they simply gave me a new one, but the issue persists. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a design flaw or limitation.

Still wondering if a link or two can be removed and whether that will solve my problem.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I just read the manual, I think I see the issue. All the adjustments are made at the main pedal. There is nothing on the slave side telling it what to do. It's natural response is to return to zero, if you will. I have one more idea.

This will take a little time, and I don't know if the tab for the driveshaft on the slave pedal is long enough, but you can try moving the spring assembly and speedo ring from the main pedal to the slave side. This should give the slave pedal some instructions to follow. Your adjustments should still work the same. I wish I could get my hands on one for like an hour.

Again I don't know if the slave will accept the spring and speedo ring and still have room for the driveshaft. And I have no idea how to properly remove a link in a chain, never needed to. But if you need to, I bet a bike shop could do it.

Don't move the spring. The manual spells it out clearly. After loosening the bolt over the spring, you pull the beater back and then tighten the bolt. Now that the footboard is set, you adjust the beater angle under the beater on the slave pedal by using the bolt under the beater.

I just read the manual, I think I see the issue. All the adjustments are made at the main pedal. There is nothing on the slave side telling it what to do. It's natural response is to return to zero, if you will. I have one more idea.

This will take a little time, and I don't know if the tab for the driveshaft on the slave pedal is long enough, but you can try moving the spring assembly and speedo ring from the main pedal to the slave side. This should give the slave pedal some instructions to follow. Your adjustments should still work the same. I wish I could get my hands on one for like an hour.

Again I don't know if the slave will accept the spring and speedo ring and still have room for the driveshaft. And I have no idea how to properly remove a link in a chain, never needed to. But if you need to, I bet a bike shop could do it.

I've tried this procedure with a couple double pedals in the past. Something to keep in mind... With the spring mounted on the slave pedal, any slop in the drive shaft will be way more noticeable.

Don't move the spring. The manual spells it out clearly. After loosening the bolt over the spring, you pull the beater back and then tighten the bolt. Now that the footboard is set, you adjust the beater angle under the beater on the slave pedal by using the bolt under the beater.

I really hope this is correct. I get the idea however that the OP has done this, but I am not sure. Pedals are pretty simple, but do have their fallbacks. I have spent countless hours disassembling, building, and hybriding pedals. I really geek out on them. Not one is perfect, and to expect each individual pedal to operate as expected is a joke. No matter the pedal, or cost for that matter, is laughable. All pedals promise ultimate playability, but yet there are numerous threads asking how to make them work better.

Again I hope this has an easy solution. If I had one I would have a difinitive answer, but I don't so I don't. Someone with a speed cobra needs to chime in and give the solution.

I've tried this procedure with a couple double pedals in the past. Something to keep in mind... With the spring mounted on the slave pedal, any slop in the drive shaft will be way more noticeable.

Really, I was curious about this. Double pedals used to have springs at either end of the driveshaft. Like mid 90s the slave stopped getting a spring. I always wondered why.

Really, I was curious about this. Double pedals used to have springs at either end of the driveshaft. Like mid 90s the slave stopped getting a spring. I always wondered why.

Having a spring on both ends might be okay. I'm not sure. Only having a spring on the slave pedal though is no bueno.

I believe the situation here maybe getting a bit over complicated. As one member already said, the socket head cap screw on the speedo ring will set the footboard height. The socket head cap screw under the beater holder will set the beater angle. Loosen the screw on the speedo ring and set the footboard height. Then set the beater angle. The Tama pedals have near infinite adjustability. I do not see how this issue persists. Maybe post some pictures for clarity.

I believe the situation here maybe getting a bit over complicated. As one member already said, the socket head cap screw on the speedo ring will set the footboard height. The socket head cap screw under the beater holder will set the beater angle. Loosen the screw on the speedo ring and set the footboard height. Then set the beater angle. The Tama pedals have near infinite adjustability. I do not see how this issue persists. Maybe post some pictures for clarity.

I'm with you. It seems pretty cut and dried to me. He must be missing an adjustment point. When I look at mine it's really pretty simple, and infinitely adjustable.

OP here.

Thanks for all the help, but I'm beginning to think that, for whatever reason, the footboard angle on the slave pedal simply won't go as high as the main pedal. I've been doing what's been suggested for some time now, and was thinking I've been missing something - I don't think I am.

Really, it's not a big deal because I'm only practicing double bass for reasons other than playing it.

I'll take another look at it, and see what a friend of mine who was a drum tech thinks.

Until then, thanks again.

OP here.

Thanks for all the help, but I'm beginning to think that, for whatever reason, the footboard angle on the slave pedal simply won't go as high as the main pedal. I've been doing what's been suggested for some time now, and was thinking I've been missing something - I don't think I am.

Really, it's not a big deal because I'm only practicing double bass for reasons other than playing it.

I'll take another look at it, and see what a friend of mine who was a drum tech thinks.

Until then, thanks again.

That just doesn't seem right. You can adjust that pedal to where the footboard is literally touching the cam at the resting position.

Back