Issue with Pearl mounted tambourine (hand-held model that sits in a separate mount)

timmdrum

Silver Member
So recently my cover band started playing Never Tear Us Apart by INXS. Previously, I hadn't had a reason to play the tamb quietly- usually I play it during louder tunes (Learn To Fly by Foo Fighters, Change of Heart by Tom Petty, etc), and apparently didn't notice that when I play it with even just a meduim-velocity strike, it kinda bounces in its mount, so I get 2 notes out of it- the initial hit, and a delayed one after it bounces, when it settles back into position. It's kinda neat, actually, sounding like there's a delay effect on it, and when I'm actually riding it as I do in Change of Heart, I'm striking it often enough that the bounce isn't really happening, until maybe the last strike of the part. So now, the issue, is, in the INXS tune, I have to remember to not allow any rebound of the stick when I strike it (which is pretty antithetical of me- I've always let the stick rebound- dang that good technique [if I do say so myself], haha), because the delay sounds wrong there.

Far as I know, Rhythm Tech makes the only other hand-held tamb with a mount that holds it, the Pro model. They sound great (so does my Pearl), so I'm asking you guys- do you have experience with one or the other- or ideally, both- and have some advice for me? Does the RT have the bounce in it that the Pearl does? Have any of you noticed this with the Pearl and done something to alleviate it? (I'm wondering if I can find something like a neoprene sleeve to go over the posts that hold the tamb?) Should I ditch the Pearl but not get the RT Pro either, and just get a drumset tamb with a permanently affixed mount?

Last edited:

KEEF

Just watched a video of the RT pro and couldn't hear any delay and it has a nice sound to it.
I wonder if anyone other than you can hear the delay on the Pearl anyway though??
With the rest of the band playing I would guess not.............

timmdrum

Silver Member
Just watched a video of the RT pro and couldn't hear any delay and it has a nice sound to it.
I wonder if anyone other than you can hear the delay on the Pearl anyway though??
With the rest of the band playing I would guess not.............
It's not slight; the front curve of the thing jumps about an inch, maybe 1 & a quarter, then falls back into position abruptly, which is when the delayed note happens. I didn't think to look for videos of each... Bedtime, will get to that aftzzzzzzz...