Isolation mount for snare?

Wouldn't a duplicate of the top mount on the bottom rim share the load, add to the sturdiness and offset any potential long-term damage?

Wouldn't a duplicate of the top mount on the bottom rim share the load, add to the sturdiness and offset any potential long-term damage?

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't want to buy two at once just for an experiment, though, because those tiny clamps are about $30 a piece

I just had the idea of using a RIMS type mount for my snare. Could mount it from the hat stand. Has anybody tried this? Would there be much benefit?

It could allow the snare to resonate more freely, and cut down on the weight of the hardware case. And I always have a problem with the legs of my snare stand making me comprimise where I have my kick drum and hat stand. AND it could make for easier placement of a slave pedal if you use a double pedal.

I've never seen this done before.

Any thoughts?

A few years back Tama made one called the Air Ride snare system, everyone feel free to correct me on that one. I remember seeing Simon Phillips demo one. The only thing with that one was that you had to only use Tama Starclassic snares with the mount built into the stand. It wasn't universal. I haven't seen one in years. Mounting it from the Hi-Hat stand you'll probably need a real good bracket to support the weight. It's a good idea, and I also hate having the legs of the snare stand get in the way too...

A few years back Tama made one called the Air Ride snare system, everyone feel free to correct me on that one. I remember seeing Simon Phillips demo one. The only thing with that one was that you had to only use Tama Starclassic snares with the mount built into the stand. It wasn't universal. I haven't seen one in years. Mounting it from the Hi-Hat stand you'll probably need a real good bracket to support the weight. It's a good idea, and I also hate having the legs of the snare stand get in the way too...

I'm pretty sure it came with a frame that clips on to the hoop in several places... not a proprietary system.

Well, I took it out to practice some songs with the ska band last night, and it did fairly well. It was far more comfortable than using a regular stand, for me.

The clamp, itself, was very sturdy, and there wasn't much bounce. Though there was a noticeable amount, it wasn't enough to affect playability.

The problem I ran into was the weight. About an hour in, the legs of my hat stand shifted. Nothing fell or took any sort of damage. It just got a little wobbly. I just had to re-set the legs, and it held up through the rest of the practice.

If I continue to play with this band, I plan to mount a small timbale off of my hat stand, so the snare idea will have to go on the back burner, at least until I get a more robust stand.

All in all, it was great for comfortability and saved setup time, but I wouldn't trust gigging with it, at the moment. Nothing worse than two of the three most important parts of a kit failing in the middle of a song.

Back