Isolation mount for snare?

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I just had the idea of using a RIMS type mount for my snare. Could mount it from the hat stand. Has anybody tried this? Would there be much benefit?

It could allow the snare to resonate more freely, and cut down on the weight of the hardware case. And I always have a problem with the legs of my snare stand making me comprimise where I have my kick drum and hat stand. AND it could make for easier placement of a slave pedal if you use a double pedal.

I've never seen this done before.

Any thoughts?

I tried that set up several times over the years.

One issue if the weight of the snare mounted on a clamp which is cantilevered to one side of the hi hat stand. It can make things quite unstable. Using a smaller or lighter snare makes it more manageable but the snare does "bounce" around much more than when mounted on a snare stand. I did not find it be as sonically beneficial as compared to using something to isolate the snare on its own stand.

It's been done, I know I first experimented with it in the mid '80s.

Advantage? None that I was aware of. A snare doesn't really need to resonate or sing (in the same way a tom does) and having it in a floating type mount makes for a bit of a strange feel. Sure, we may be used to toms feeling a little bouncy, but we don't want that from the snare.

Bermuda

Thanks for the comments. That all makes sense. I'm less concenred about isolation, and more concerned about floor space, really, but it seems that the isolation mount probably isn't the way to go. Maybe I'll think of something. I'd hate to drill into my shell to put a more solid mount on it, but it isn't really a top-of-the-line snare, so I guess it wouldn't be too detrimental.

Tama makes an isolation mount for snares.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAMHL70M14W

Not quite what you were thinking as it still works like an ordinary snare stand. I'm surprised that no one has tried this yet. The only issue I could think of would be positioning the snare correctly. I'd think that you would need a long mount off the HH stand.

Tama makes an isolation mount for snares.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAMHL70M14W

Not quite what you were thinking as it still works like an ordinary snare stand. I'm surprised that no one has tried this yet. The only issue I could think of would be positioning the snare correctly. I'd think that you would need a long mount off the HH stand.

I meant something that could be mounted from an 'L' rod. I know that Gibraltar makes an extendable mount that should, in theory, work for such an application

The Gibraltar Stealth system accomplishes what you're looking for as far as reducing the footprint of a snare stand, but unless you are also cutting out a double tom stand in the process as well it isn't exactly lighter or easier to pack.

I have one and I love it, but I also prefer my toms on a stand next to the bass drum and I can get them closer to the bass using the Stealth rack than with a traditional stand. Not having snare stand legs isn't even a benefit I'd ever really thought of before.

The Gibraltar Stealth system accomplishes what you're looking for as far as reducing the footprint of a snare stand, but unless you are also cutting out a double tom stand in the process as well it isn't exactly lighter or easier to pack.

I have one and I love it, but I also prefer my toms on a stand next to the bass drum and I can get them closer to the bass using the Stealth rack than with a traditional stand. Not having snare stand legs isn't even a benefit I'd ever really thought of before.

Those stealth mounting systems are genius, but I really have no desire to own one.

I would love to be without snare stand legs. Maybe I just set my stuff too close together, but the legs are always getting in the way. I can never find that perfect position for the legs. If I don't spread them as far, it's unstable, but with it spread, there's always at least one leg in an inconvenient spot.

I'm probably just being too picky

An isolation mount makes sense to me to reduce vibrations of whatever it's attached to.

If I wanted to I could hang a 10" Rhythm Traveler snare drum off my hat stand using one of these: http://avsl-chord.com/product/176.233UK. Would be ideal when we play "unplugged". Thanks for thinking of this!

I imagine a larger / heavier snare drum would be unstable with that arrangement, as per Barry's reply. TCol, your forum profile says you are a member of the Heavy Hitters, Hard Hitters and Primeval Tub Thumpers groups ... sounds like it would be a tad risky to do anything but keep your snare on its own sturdy stand :)

It's been done, I know I first experimented with it in the mid '80s.

Advantage? None that I was aware of. A snare doesn't really need to resonate or sing (in the same way a tom does) and having it in a floating type mount makes for a bit of a strange feel. Sure, we may be used to toms feeling a little bouncy, but we don't want that from the snare.

Bermuda
Totally agree, I can't even stand isolation mounts on toms because I hate it when drums move excessively when I attack them. The last thing that I want is my snare bouncing all over the place :) Plus, as you stated, the snare doesn't require a lot of resonance. it would be detrimental to its sound.

I imagine a larger / heavier snare drum would be unstable with that arrangement, as per Barry's reply. TCol, your forum profile says you are a member of the Heavy Hitters, Hard Hitters and Primeval Tub Thumpers groups ... sounds like it would be a tad risky to do anything but keep your snare on its own sturdy stand :)

Yeah, I took that into consideration, but be that my hat stand is pretty cheap, it is VERY sturdy for what it is, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try, or at least inquire about it.

Heck, I have a couple of universal suspension mounts at home that I'm not using, so I'll throw one on my crappy backup snare and set it up to see how it fairs. I'm sure it will be far too much bounce, but I really can't imagine it falling over.

I got home and crudely mounted my extra snare, using parts I had laying around. I swiveled the legs of the hat so one is just below the snare, to add a little extra stability. There's no way that stand will topple with the extra weight. As well as that, the snare really doesn't bounce as much as I expected. I'll give it a real test run within the next few days and see how it does.

Note: The angle isn't at all optimal. It will be adjusted before it's put through the paces

For anybody who may or may not care, today, I got out of my bed and played around with the isolation mount for the snare. It worked better than I expected. It was very sturdy, and there was almost no bounce. A lug broke on the snare while I was tuning it, though. Not really worth it to fix at this point.

Anyhow, the suspension mount was a pain to get on that snare, and it sits so tight against the shell that I suspect it could do damage over time. So, I don't trust using that mount on my good snare. I was looking at other methods of possibly mounting a snare this way without drilling, and I came across this:

It seems like the perfect thing. It's not a suspension mount, so I can expect little to no bounce, and it mounts to the rim, so I won't have to drill holes. Not to mention that it may dampen the sound a little more than a suspension mount, which would be ideal. I suspect that prolonged use of it may warp the rim over time (as it isn't made to suspend drums, but to attach smaller things to drums), but I wouldn't complain about replacing a rim every year or two.

Any thoughts on this?

Try getting your hands on a mic stand. One of the ones with the heavy round base. It should be easy to modify into a snare stand, and would reduce your snare footprint

I suspect that prolonged use of it may warp the rim over time (as it isn't made to suspend drums, but to attach smaller things to drums), but I wouldn't complain about replacing a rim every year or two.

Any thoughts on this?

Exactly what I was thinking. Just looks like too much weight on to such a tiny little mount from where I'm sitting. The weight may also add tension (or perhaps torque is a better description??) to the hoop/shell and cause possible tuning isses as well.

Personally, it doesn't look nearly stable enough to work as a long term fix. But if you're prepared to experiment, have at it. Be sure to report back with your findings.

Try getting your hands on a mic stand. One of the ones with the heavy round base. It should be easy to modify into a snare stand, and would reduce your snare footprint

That's a great idea. I think I'm much too picky to do something like that, but I'll definitely keep that in mind

Exactly what I was thinking. Just looks like too much weight on to such a tiny little mount from where I'm sitting. The weight may also add tension (or perhaps torque is a better description??) to the hoop/shell and cause possible tuning isses as well.

Personally, it doesn't look nearly stable enough to work as a long term fix. But if you're prepared to experiment, have at it. Be sure to report back with your findings.

Yeah, that was a concern of mine, as well. I was reading on a forum, somewhere, about people using these on their bottom rims as a replacement for floor tom leg brackets, and having good results.

I'll probably end up picking a few up, and trying it out, because even if I don't use it for that, I know that they'll come in handy somewhere down the road.

I got the parts and set this up tonight. It, surprisingly, seems very sturdy. I'll get the chance to really test it out tomorrow. I'll post back with the results

20130622_011126_zpsa77ca180.jpg

You could also try folding the legs up completely and using clamps to connect the snare and hi-hat stand. Shouldn't be too hard with some rack clamps and a short pipe.

That's actually a great idea. Or I could take the basket out of the base of the stand and use a clamp on the tube. It may be too tall if I leave the legs closed. The tube of the basket tapers for the last inch, and it's too thin for that last inch to clamp into the stand base

s a main snare I can imagine it would be awful. I like the snare to be solid and rigid when hitting it. It should feel different to the toms in my opinion. And the extra esonancec would be unwanted.
I can't even remember how it sounded as I hit it so few times...

I can imagine rim mounts would choke rimshots to some degree surely? It would HAVE to affect the tone, right?

Back