Is Yamaha Stage Custom an upgrade over Sonor Safari?

wildbill

Platinum Member
.....So the question is, do I stick with the 16” bass drum, because if not loud enough, the 18” might not be enough either??? Miked up, they’d probably both sound the same. So maybe just keep the status quo for now and save up eventually for a maple kit with 20” inch bass drum in the future?

For just a few bucks more than the 18, you could get the 5 piece SC that comes with a 20" bass drum.
Even if you only play a 4 piece, the 20" is a much better all arounder than an 18.
If you want maple though, that's going to up the cost more.

At least you've got a set you can use now while you're deciding.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Yeah, I meant trading in the Sonor for some $ towards the Yamaha. The Safari goes for $399 new. I’d hope I could get $200 or so for it.

If you are trading in at a music store, you will probably get about $100-$150 for those drums (IMO). Even if they are in good condition and sell for $399 new, they will sell those around $250-$275. They will offer about half of what they can sell them for.

16" is too small, no matter wut.

Agreed.

For just a few bucks more than the 18, you could get the 5 piece SC that comes with a 20" bass drum.
Even if you only play a 4 piece, the 20" is a much better all arounder than an 18.

I'm sorry to repeat myself so much on these boards, but IMO, I think that there is a significant difference between an 18" kick and a 20" kick (as opposed to a 20" and a 22"). There seems to be some sort of threshold here between these two sizes. I'd opt for a 20" every time.

Also, my Tama Rockstars from the early 90's are 9-ply poplar. My Basix birch kit blew them out of the water.

YMMV.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think that there is a significant difference between an 18" kick and a 20" kick (as opposed to a 20" and a 22"). There seems to be some sort of threshold here between these two sizes. I'd opt for a 20" every time.

I'm with you there Martin..unmiced anyway. I wonder what a 19" kick would sound like. Hmmmm.

AFAIK, a 19" kick hasn't been done. (cue the person who can disprove that)

I'd like to know what the exact diameter is on a bass drum shell, where the transition from (IMO) meh to...OK that works....lies.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'm with you there Martin..unmiced anyway. I wonder what a 19" kick would sound like. Hmmmm.

AFAIK, a 19" kick hasn't been done. (cue the person who can disprove that)

I'd like to know what the exact diameter is on a bass drum shell, where the transition from (IMO) meh to...OK that works....lies.

Since a 20" kick sounds good and an 18" doesn't sound good (to my ears), I'll bet if someone manufactured a 19" kick drum and then hit it one time, a reality-shifting black hole filled with all things mediocre would appear and would yield things like candy corn, six hours of sleep, futons, The Office after Michael Scott left, and Matchbox 20.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I'm 100% with you. 20" for me all day every day.

I'm sorry to repeat myself so much on these boards, but IMO, I think that there is a significant difference between an 18" kick and a 20" kick (as opposed to a 20" and a 22"). There seems to be some sort of threshold here between these two sizes. I'd opt for a 20" every time.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Since a 20" kick sounds good and an 18" doesn't sound good (to my ears), I'll bet if someone manufactured a 19" kick drum and then hit it one time, a reality-shifting black hole filled with all things mediocre would appear and would yield things like candy corn, six hours of sleep, futons, The Office after Michael Scott left, and Matchbox 20.

You, sir, owe me one new keyboard since this comment caused me to spit coffee all over mine a moment ago.

If you're looking for an all-around kick size, 20" is my vote. I've played my SC 20" kick unmiked and tuned up tight for a piano jazz trio gig, and miked and floppy for a loud outdoor rock festival gig, and both times it worked out great.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've gone through about a half dozen kits with 18" bass drums.
They're great fun to play and can sound OK - the bass drum is a bit wimpy unmic'd though.
Sometimes a higher pitched, not as loud sound might be what is required though.
To me, they just have a different feel and sound to them than larger ones.

I'm down to just one 18 now though, the Ludwig Jazzette - not so much because it so much better than the others,
but just because I like it and want to keep one set that size.

I've also got one set with a 20" kick.
If I get anymore kits they will be also have a 20" bass drum.
And if I were ever to start playing gigs again, I'd be using a 20 unless it was a real small venue.

Jml

Sounds like the move from a 16” to an 18” is not worth it. Guess I should save up for a 20”. Any recommendations for a portable, affordable (under $1000) drum kit that’s NOT poplar wood and has a 20” bass drum? Only ones I’ve seen are Gretsch Catalina jazz and PDP Maple/PDP Birch.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
You, sir, owe me one new keyboard since this comment caused me to spit coffee all over mine a moment ago.

giphy.gif

alparrott

Platinum Member
Sounds like the move from a 16” to an 18” is not worth it. Guess I should save up for a 20”. Any recommendations for a portable, affordable (under $1000) drum kit that’s NOT poplar wood and has a 20” bass drum? Only ones I’ve seen are Gretsch Catalina jazz and PDP Maple/PDP Birch.

I would recommend staying with the Stage Custom line. The 5-piece with a 20" kick is $650 most places online.

WallyY

Platinum Member
It's not an upgrade. It's a different sound and size. That's all.

If they were both the same sizes, the Sonors would be warmer, darker and less boomy than the Yamahas which would also be brighter with more higher frequency ringiness. No comment on the snare. The Sonor snare that comes with the set is a perpetration against anyone's dignity.

Jml

It's not an upgrade. It's a different sound and size. That's all.

If they were both the same sizes, the Sonors would be warmer, darker and less boomy than the Yamahas which would also be brighter with more higher frequency ringiness. No comment on the snare. The Sonor snare that comes with the set is a perpetration against anyone's dignity.

Yeah I got rid of the Sonor snare a while ago.

Need to get rid of the feeling to always “upgrade”. I’m sure I’m not the only one....

M

MasterBlaster

My SS starts in Aug and as far as I'm concerned it's found money.

I'm spending it on gear and bud.

Frank

Gold Member
I wonder how many people who diss 16" bass drums actually gigged with one with PA support.

I gigged with a 16" Sonor Safari bass drum for several years, and I got nothing but massive complements on the tone. A decently tuned 16" bass drum, a well placed decent BD mic, and a good PA can create Any bass drum tone. Any.

M

MasterBlaster

It makes sense to me, but a deep 18" is as small as I'd ever go.

Jml

I wonder how many people who diss 16" bass drums actually gigged with one with PA support.

I gigged with a 16" Sonor Safari bass drum for several years, and I got nothing but massive complements on the tone. A decently tuned 16" bass drum, a well placed decent BD mic, and a good PA can create Any bass drum tone. Any.

Any info on what heads and mic you used on your Safari BD?